Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Playing movies without MCE Options · View
hsvdan
Posted: Friday, January 06, 2017 8:04:02 PM
Groups: Member

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (2625)
I have a library of movies that I'd like to play but I do NOT want to use MCE ever again. Are there other applications (for Win10 or Win7) that can access the 'My Movies' meta data and art work that I can use for playback?
Thanks!

JDR
Huntsville, AL
dsteinschneider
Posted: Saturday, January 07, 2017 3:52:38 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (2559)
I've been investigating the same idea. I was on vacation at a VBRO property that had an Apple TV. The owner has a large collection of movies in his iTunes. I liked the interface where it could quickly change the presentation by alpha, category etc with just a click. I found it much easier to browse than the WMC My Movies interface wich I understand is constrained by the ancient and now sunset WMC.

I recently purchased the Android MyMovies Pro 2 and have successfully "streamed" movies I have in MP4 format to my LG G4 phone. It works great. I'm thinking of mass converting movies in DVD, MKV, AVI and WTV format to MP4 so I can stream them. If I did this we could switch the TV to the HDMI port that has a Chromecast and control it with 7 inch Android tablet running MyMovies Pro 2. That's a workaround with emphasis on "work" :)
binnerup
Posted: Saturday, January 07, 2017 3:54:36 PM

Groups: Administration , Windows RT/8 Discussion Group

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (52)
It depends on what formats you are looking to play.

What are you storing in now?

There is a My Movies app for Apple TV, but it is for playing MP4 and MKV files, and has some limitations.

Having trouble installing or upgrading to My Movies 5? Click here for troubleshooting.

Having a problem? Searching our Knowledge Base is always the first step.

How can I produce a log file in My Movies for Windows?

How can I fully uninstall My Movies for Windows
hsvdan
Posted: Monday, January 09, 2017 5:04:59 AM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (2625)
I have a large library of VOB files created via MYDVD that was loaded via My Movies so I have all the data on my server for My Movies, just don't want use MCE any longer.

Thanks for the replies.
dsteinschneider
Posted: Monday, January 09, 2017 4:29:07 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (2559)
binnerup wrote:
It depends on what formats you are looking to play.

What are you storing in now?

There is a My Movies app for Apple TV, but it is for playing MP4 and MKV files, and has some limitations.

I have 630 WTV (movies recorded off cable), 35 AVI, 183 MKV and 60 MP4 and 196 VOB

I usually avoid Apple products, the Apple TV is a good 10 ft interface. Nothing special, just simplified. Might be a bit of grass is greener on the other side Laughing

I have converted some of the WTV's using VideoReDo.
dsteinschneider
Posted: Monday, January 09, 2017 4:29:42 PM

binnerup
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2017 1:27:07 PM

Groups: Administration , Windows RT/8 Discussion Group

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (52)
This is specifically Windows Media Center files, and while some other products can play them, they can only play the ones that does not have DRM.

We cannot recommend any solution that would work well with this - there may be other users who have inputs, but it is not something we can help with, with the knowledge we have.

Having trouble installing or upgrading to My Movies 5? Click here for troubleshooting.

Having a problem? Searching our Knowledge Base is always the first step.

How can I produce a log file in My Movies for Windows?

How can I fully uninstall My Movies for Windows