Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

My Movies - Alternative to Windows Media Center Options · View
teddyboy
Posted: Saturday, December 17, 2016 9:58:26 PM

Groups: Member

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (5182)
Gilles2 I certainly understand that. I still have my windows media center up and running for to watch movies and listen to music, but now that I have a TiVo I may just decide to go with Plex since it's integrated into TiVo. I want everything to be accessed through one box. I don't want to have to switch inputs anymore. I have Vudu, Netflix, amazon, Hulu, pandora, and a dvr all rolled into one box. Plex will allow access to my own media collection through TiVo.

There are trade offs with this move. I have to convert my movies into a format that's compatible with Plex. No full menu access, but I'm okay with that. Subtitles will have to be burned into the movie and may take up more CPU resources to display them. I can convert to 1080p and it will play that on the main TiVo but not on the minis at this time. 720p only on the minis. New TiVo minis are supposed to be out sometime next year. I may upgrade to aTivo Bolt.

This makes the most sense for me. MyMovies is a great product, and I'm sure they will have a solution in place in the future. Maybe I'll come back to it if they have something that's compelling.

"Humans are such easy prey."
tphelps
Posted: Saturday, December 24, 2016 10:54:55 AM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (2500)
Sorry this is a response to an old question but I just now saw it. I don't know what disc based titles mean but I use BDMV folders and extra/bonus materials all the time. If bonus material somehow couldn't be added, it wouldn't be the end of the world no. For Windows Media Center (as I'm a big user of), I use it exclusively for movies only--I don't care about live TV or music or any of that other stuff. Quality is HUGE to me, it's the whole reason why I go through all this effort of storing the entire BDMV folder (and I have over 2500 stored on a 25 disc array). If people are willing to sacrifice quality then they might as well just buy the DVD version of movies for much less money. But yes, quality is everything to me.
Xonus
Posted: Saturday, December 31, 2016 8:03:02 AM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (5271)
We have screamed for a solution to the Media Center demise problem for over 1.5 years, and there is still no solution or even any updates on what on earth is happening in the front-end. Without this MM is an engine without a car to put it in. It’s honestly too little, too late now. Besides - even IF they bring this out I’m guessing it’ll be without the media player itself, and then we’re still at the mercy of PowerDVD.

At this stage I think it’s time to wave goodbye to MM. It’s been a good run - you’ve been an awesome platform for organizing movies for a long time, but the lack of a meaningful long-term path forward is enough for me to no longer see MM as a viable platform.

I’ve almost fully moved on to a Kodi/mySql/Ember Media Manager platform (EMM). This works very similar to MM as the latest EMM now have live updating of Kodi though Kodi’s web interface - something people have asked for before with MM but it was never implemented (as far as I know). With Kodi using mySql for information you have the same data across all media players just as with MM.

Ember Media Manager is not nearly as a developed or robust media manager as MyMovies, but it does offer a “good enough” backend (has about 80% of MyMovies functionality). At the same time in the front-end Kodi is lightyears ahead of the old Windows Media Center. The final straw was finding out that MM can't really handle digital movies properly, and that it doesn't scrape IMDB for digital movies (not to mention The Movie DB), and a lot of movies which have never had a physical disc isn’t in the MyMovies DB, so they would require a lot of manual input. I don't even know how you'd get them into the Mymovies DB, as it requires a disk ID...

I feel like MM is somehow stuck in a dated mindset whereby they are too focused on the physical media instead of the actual movie in the backend - at the end of the day, the movie should be the central point, not the physical media — which is kind of the point of a media manager - watching movies.

At the same time it seems MyMovies are being too focused on wanting a Media Center style solution, instead of working towards integrating their backend to an existing front-end. Why on earth even discuss building a Media Center replacement when you could bypass all that with a My Movies theme/skin for Kodi and a piece of middleware supplying data to Kodi. Sure, it would be dependent on Kodi - I get it - but right now MM is dependent on PowerDVD (and Media Center which is dead), so the front-end dependency is already there.

I honestly (and sadly) believe that with the current direction and mindset of MyMovies, it’s a dying platform. They’re still making horseshoes in a world that needs tires. I'm not saying this out of spite, but because I am sad that MM seems to have hit the iceberg, and not really accepting the ship is sinking - I'll really miss MM. I hope you guys will reconsider the future very carefully.

I’ll keep my MM installation updated for a while still, and check in - but as a base of my media players - it’s dead.

TL;DR: MyMovies is stuck in an old mindset, and since there is no future in Media Center its time to move on. Thanks for the awesome product Binnerup, but time has overtaken you guys and you’re not keeping up.
binnerup
Posted: Saturday, December 31, 2016 12:42:44 PM

Groups: Administration , Windows RT/8 Discussion Group

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (52)
Xonus:

There is a lot of things in this post, so it is difficult to address in one reply.

There have never been a promise of a full alternative to the Windows Media Center solution coming from us, and it is still not certain that one will come.

Compared to other solutions, My Movies is not an open source project by volunteers and we therefore need to be able to see the funds put into a development project to come back, and the state of the market, compared with the complexity of getting the solution we would like does not add up, and it does not look like this will change.

I think that what many of our original users on Windows Media Center fails to recognise is that the majority of the income in our company today is by users who use our products simply to maintain a movie collection, without ever having the need of a playback front end.

This does not mean that we would not like to support the users having this need, which we feel we do by continuing to support our Windows Media Center product, at the same time as we continue to improve on the meta-data storage options for other products, which is a path we still would like to improve if possible.

Fact is though that where many users are using Plex, Plex does not accept meta-data from external sources.

Kodi does, and the software stores data for Kodi, and you can also enter in the IP addresses of Kodi devices for the software to auto-update Kodi - we have not been focusing too much on information of this option, as we still feel that due to lack of options in the Kodi API's at least when this was last looked into, Kodi is limited to allowing only to add titles to the library, but you cannot remotely refresh a title, which means that whenever the user makes a change, the change won't be reflected in Kodi. If you are familiar with better options than this, we are always open to improving the integration solution.

Notice that some users are using an SQLite setup with Kodi, but it is so few, and a complicated setup, that we are unlikely to go down that route.

In relation to digital copies, that are not disc based - you need to look at the "Movie" profile options, and yes, since our database here is younger than our disc title based, it is not as well populated as the disc title one - you however do not in any way need discs to contribute to the movie profiles - but I think that this would call for a separate topic.

As far as time as overtaken us - if you look at our solution as being a Windows Media Center front-end, then I can only agree - but our focus today is elsewhere, and building a new front-end would be one of many offerings, and we unfortunately at the time cannot see that the cost of this can bring itself in.

Having trouble installing or upgrading to My Movies 5? Click here for troubleshooting.

Having a problem? Searching our Knowledge Base is always the first step.

How can I produce a log file in My Movies for Windows?

How can I fully uninstall My Movies for Windows
binnerup
Posted: Saturday, December 31, 2016 12:51:11 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (52)
To add some to the information about many users using the applications for collection management purposes, I can give some statistics.

We have around 4 times as many users on the iOS platform as we have on Windows, and 3 times as many on the Android platform as on Windows.

And, what the statistics here does not show is that many of the Windows users are also users who are there only because they also maintain their collection on Windows.

Similar, we have about half of the users on Mac OS X as we have on Windows.

These things are kept in mind when we decide where to focus our development - this does not mean that we do not want to support users on Kodi, Plex and other solutions as much as possible, but we are limited to what these platforms offers us of options.

Having trouble installing or upgrading to My Movies 5? Click here for troubleshooting.

jimpollum
Posted: Monday, January 02, 2017 5:10:06 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (2500)
My apologies if this thought is being repeated, as I have not checked the forum in a while. However, I have Windows Media Center successfully installed on Windows 10. Go to http://www.howtogeek.com/258695/how-to-install-windows-media-center-on-windows-10/ and go to the download link to get the install file. Being leery of success, I made a disk image of my Windows 7 computer, my Media Center computer, just in case. Then ran the Windows 10 install and chose to keep all apps and data. Once completed I ran the Media Center for Windows 10 install. Surprisingly, everything worked. My Movies came up without problems. I had to reinstall Total Media Theater to make it work again, but all is working, and working well. Windows 10 is better, smoother, and faster than Windows 7. Hopefully this can work for anyone else who wants to move to Windows 10 and still have Media Center. My Movies has been the best solution for me. I have installed it on friend's computers and they love it. Long live My Movies!
Xonus
Posted: Tuesday, January 03, 2017 2:53:18 AM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (5271)
binnerup wrote:
Kodi does, and the software stores data for Kodi, and you can also enter in the IP addresses of Kodi devices for the software to auto-update Kodi - we have not been focusing too much on information of this option, as we still feel that due to lack of options in the Kodi API's at least when this was last looked into, Kodi is limited to allowing only to add titles to the library, but you cannot remotely refresh a title, which means that whenever the user makes a change, the change won't be reflected in Kodi. If you are familiar with better options than this, we are always open to improving the integration solution.

Ember changes information in Kodi through the web interface, including refreshing information, so this isn't correct.

binnerup wrote:
Notice that some users are using an SQLite setup with Kodi, but it is so few, and a complicated setup, that we are unlikely to go down that route.

I'm not sure I'd call the mysql (not sqlite) option complicated, but sure - it's more complicated than not using it. But that doesn't matter if you stick to JSON.(it's

binnerup wrote:
In relation to digital copies, that are not disc based - you need to look at the "Movie" profile options, and yes, since our database here is younger than our disc title based, it is not as well populated as the disc title one - you however do not in any way need discs to contribute to the movie profiles - but I think that this would call for a separate topic.

I did. And when adding 220 titles, you had a miss rate of around 30%. For those titles I had no option that I could find of scraping data from IMDB (and zero options around artwork), hence I would have to add them all manually.

binnerup wrote:
As far as time as overtaken us - if you look at our solution as being a Windows Media Center front-end, then I can only agree - but our focus today is elsewhere, and building a new front-end would be one of many offerings, and we unfortunately at the time cannot see that the cost of this can bring itself in.

Which is what my post said. Why even consider a front-end (which was the point of this thread) when one exists. I just can't see this having been clearly said from your end; that we shouldn't expect one. Thanks for confirming this is a dead end.

I genuinely wish you luck with being a archive platform for (primarily) mobile users.
curtisb
Posted: Tuesday, January 03, 2017 7:04:20 AM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (8364)
(dupe post. please delete)
curtisb
Posted: Tuesday, January 03, 2017 7:04:41 AM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (8364)
jimpollum wrote:
My apologies if this thought is being repeated, as I have not checked the forum in a while. However, I have Windows Media Center successfully installed on Windows 10. Go to http://www.howtogeek.com/258695/how-to-install-windows-media-center-on-windows-10/ and go to the download link to get the install file. Being leery of success, I made a disk image of my Windows 7 computer, my Media Center computer, just in case. Then ran the Windows 10 install and chose to keep all apps and data. Once completed I ran the Media Center for Windows 10 install. Surprisingly, everything worked. My Movies came up without problems. I had to reinstall Total Media Theater to make it work again, but all is working, and working well. Windows 10 is better, smoother, and faster than Windows 7. Hopefully this can work for anyone else who wants to move to Windows 10 and still have Media Center. My Movies has been the best solution for me. I have installed it on friend's computers and they love it. Long live My Movies!

It does not work for TV (cable card), the primary use for Media Center (really the only use outside of being a MM UI), as the anniversary update broke it and no workaround has been found. The next major update may even break the ability to run the hack. Unless you are their IT and they are fine with not being able to use it if it breaks, I wouldn't recommend using the hack on anyone else's system. Far better to look into other solutions like Kodi, Emby or Plex if Windows 10 and a good 10' UI is important.
gilles2
Posted: Tuesday, January 03, 2017 10:20:54 AM

Groups: Member , Windows Home Server

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (9975)
binnerup wrote:
To add some to the information about many users using the applications for collection management purposes, I can give some statistics.

We have around 4 times as many users on the iOS platform as we have on Windows, and 3 times as many on the Android platform as on Windows.

And, what the statistics here does not show is that many of the Windows users are also users who are there only because they also maintain their collection on Windows.

Similar, we have about half of the users on Mac OS X as we have on Windows.

These things are kept in mind when we decide where to focus our development - this does not mean that we do not want to support users on Kodi, Plex and other solutions as much as possible, but we are limited to what these platforms offers us of options.

This is indead interesting statistics. I am wondering though who are the users proactively working on improving the database quality.
Being on iOS and Android is fine to keep the list of one movies handy. Scan the barcode and add the title to one collection with whatever data is available in the MM database. I know I have been doing this. But are these same users contributing movies actors or high resolution cover art?
If you loose these users being core contributors because they can no longer use the software on their set-up, then the database quality will deteriorate over time, which is you major asset...
binnerup
Posted: Tuesday, January 03, 2017 11:01:37 AM

gilles,

You are absolutely correct on this - all of our users are a big asset.

This is naturally also why we are much interested in supplying the best possible solution when using other front-ends.

Our mobile app users are contributing to the database in the way of reporting missing disc titles - 95% of all titles start this way, and as of the 2.20 versions, mobile app users can also contribute data and covers to the database.

It is not possible for us to see which type of user that contributes to the database, but a lot of the mobile app users download the Windows and Mac app to be able to, and not because of Windows Media Center or other front-ends.

This does not change the fact that we owe a lot to our existing user base - but if we spend all of our funds developing an interface that less than 10% of our complete user base would use, and even less pay for, then we could end up having no service to supply to anyone.

Notice that we are not in need of a half baked solution, and that is our main concern - Kodi and others are great products, but they are lacking good support for disc based collections, but in the big picture, many users are moving away from disc based solutions, and we are pretty sure that those who remain is not interested in paying ten times more to make up for it.

Therefore, the best solution as we see it is to continue to focus on how we can improve meta-data storage for other products, over creating an interface that either is only half useable, or comes with extreme costs which we cannot cope with, or earn a fraction back in on.

I think that some of you here expect that we are a big company with 25 developers, and a huge bank account to spend from, but that is not the case - therefore our spending on funds and resources must be closely considered.

It was not ideal for us that Windows Home Server had a very short life time, it was not ideal for us when Windows Media Center was first not further developed, then made a purchased add-on, and last pulled from Windows, and it is not ideal that more and more people choose low quality streaming activities over disc based usage, or that many users choose a pirate download way over paying for discs, or that the studios try all they can to make life hard for their customers by shuttting down SlySoft, putting another cost on people for a RedFox product they to some extend already paid for once before, and can't be sure of the lifetime of - but all of these things are the way things goes, but it also means that while we would love to, we cannot just decide to spend a lot of funds for what could become another dead end.

I know that some of you are upset with this, but everything is not so simple...

Therefore we would much rather see inputs on how we can improve on the options of supplying features for alternatives to WMC, rather than rants over us not developing something that could potentially put our products on all platforms to the grave.

Ideally, the meta-data update and maintenance options in Kodi got improved, as Plex seems to have decided not to allow external supply of data, and the disc based handling of TV Series and offline titles got improved in Kodi, but we do not have the knowledge or man power to do this in an open source product, with developers that need to be paid.

What Xenus mentions of Emby being able to also refresh meta-data in Kodi is interesting, because it was not in the JSON API a year ago - we could add titles, or re-scan for new titles, but not refresh one - and if we can improve of the options for Kodi, we will - inputs here are also much welcomed, along with details of setups, over rants about something our software does not do - we need the help of our users, which is the same as always - but please do not cast your frustration on WMC being removed, and Kodi lacking some features on us - it is not like we are choosing not to use a key that we have to change these things - we do not have that key in our present situation.

randomninjaatk
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2017 10:53:47 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (2550)
binnerup wrote:

Therefore we would much rather see inputs on how we can improve on the options of supplying features for alternatives to WMC, rather than rants over us not developing something that could potentially put our products on all platforms to the grave.

I would gladly pay for the product again if you released a companion product for usage with Plex/Kodi/Emby... This companion product would not be about metadata in my opinion, most of those products handle that well on there own using various online databases/sources.

The product you should make is a Automated Ripping product... No other company has accomplished that, your product was able to accomplish that but using Discs in the form of ISO backups and etc.

You said yourself that more people are moving to digital, I am a Plex user in this case. I would pay good money for a product I could insert the disc for a movie, cd, or tv show and have it accurately ripped to 1:1 MKV quality with proper subtitles selected, special features and all for use in Plex, Kodi or Emby...

As of now your product can kind of do it, but it doesn't work reliably in my testing and it has lots of problems ripping to MKV. Makemkv does it much better, but it is completely manual. I have found ways on Linux to semi-automate it. But even then it is still manual, especially when it comes to TV series discs, they are a real pain....

Again, I think you should build a companion product for those other media centers that focuses on Ripping the content in perfect quality for the other Media Center software to use.....

And again, I would gladly pay for this again!!! I'm sure others would feel that way.... Especially in those other communities, such as Plex...
palmore
Posted: Friday, January 06, 2017 11:49:35 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (1382)
binnerup wrote:
gilles,
What Xenus mentions of Emby being able to also refresh meta-data in Kodi is interesting, because it was not in the JSON API a year ago - we could add titles, or re-scan for new titles, but not refresh one - and if we can improve of the options for Kodi, we will - inputs here are also much welcomed, along with details of setups, over rants about something our software does not do - we need the help of our users, which is the same as always - but please do not cast your frustration on WMC being removed, and Kodi lacking some features on us - it is not like we are choosing not to use a key that we have to change these things - we do not have that key in our present situation.

I actually use MM to manage metadata for Plex, Emby and Kodi all in 1. Fairly simple.

1. MM - Set to export/save Kodi-XBMC NFO Files.
2. Install Plex XBMC Nfo Importer from Plex Webtools/Unsupported App Store and configure this as the Primary scraper for Tv/Movies
3. Configure Emby to use NFO files as its primary metadata source
4. Install Emby Sync or Plex Sync (depending on what service you use) and then configure each kodi device to use this.

I make 1 change in MM, and Plex, Emby and ALL my Kodi devices pick up that change and sync up, it also carries over watched status and other details between all devices.

This is the only thing I use MM for, 1 central master Metadata manager, but as others stated I wish the IMDB and The MovieDB support was better, newer titles that aren't in the MM DB are always a manual process.

binnerup
Posted: Saturday, January 07, 2017 10:17:33 AM

palmore wrote:
binnerup wrote:
gilles,

I actually use MM to manage metadata for Plex, Emby and Kodi all in 1. Fairly simple.

2. Install Plex XBMC Nfo Importer from Plex Webtools/Unsupported App Store and configure this as the Primary scraper for Tv/Movies
4. Install Emby Sync or Plex Sync (depending on what service you use) and then configure each kodi device to use this.

I make 1 change in MM, and Plex, Emby and ALL my Kodi devices pick up that change and sync up, it also carries over watched status and other details between all devices.

This is the only thing I use MM for, 1 central master Metadata manager, but as others stated I wish the IMDB and The MovieDB support was better, newer titles that aren't in the MM DB are always a manual process.

In this process, have you configured the IP addresses of your Kodi devices for it to add changes?

Because at least in earlier versions of Kodi, it required a manual re-scan for it to pick up new titles, or a refresh to pick up a change in the NFO.

movieman991
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2017 2:58:49 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (11)
Dear Team,

Correct me if I am wrong but if I understand the current situation correct MyMovies cannot be run in a Win10 Environment due to the lack of MediaCenter in Win10.

1) Any options integrating MyMovies with for example VLC MediaPlayer or Kodi ? True integration so that movies can be launched from MyMovies ?

Best regards
jkwaterman
Posted: Monday, January 09, 2017 7:10:15 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (2726)
movieman991 wrote:
Dear Team,

Correct me if I am wrong but if I understand the current situation correct MyMovies cannot be run in a Win10 Environment due to the lack of MediaCenter in Win10.

1) Any options integrating MyMovies with for example VLC MediaPlayer or Kodi ? True integration so that movies can be launched from MyMovies ?

Best regards

You can use the WMC hack to run on win 10. Works fine and it was mentioned here several times in this thread and other threads. Kodi works fine now. Version 17 rc 2. You can use mymovies to gather the Kodi metadata and use the meta data to scrap the data when adding the movies to kodi.
curtisb
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2017 10:31:19 PM

Binnerup wrote:

In this process, have you configured the IP addresses of your Kodi devices for it to add changes?

Because at least in earlier versions of Kodi, it required a manual re-scan for it to pick up new titles, or a refresh to pick up a change in the NFO.

Emby's syncing process uses a plug-in they created which doesn't seem to rely on native Kodi API's. So if you use MM to update Emby it can update Kodi (with the extra challenges and bugs/issues with managing 3 programs instead of 2).

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/19739-emby-for-kodi-beta/page-1?hl=%20kodi%20%20sync%20%20plugin
jules1955
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2017 6:04:05 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (4500)
palmore wrote:
binnerup wrote:
gilles,

Based on the current responses from Binnerup, I'm assuming their focus is making MM a strategic Content/Metadata Manager. I would like to continue using MM as my Content/Metadata Manager, but replace my WMC (Windows 10 hack) front-end with a more strategic solution. Based on my current setup (see below), can someone who is leveraging Plex, Kodi and/or Emby help me understand which options would best fit my needs and how best to configure them with MM as my collection/metadata manager?

My current setup:
- MM (running on 2 HTPCs, 2 iPads, 2 iPhones)
- Windows 10/Media Center Hack (running on both HTPCs)
- Windows Home Server (WHS) 2011 (movies in Video_TS & .MP4 formats - yes, I decided to support both options).

I set this up for my handicapped son so he could easily manage accessing and launching his movies & TV series from his iPad. I don't wish to continue using the WMC hack as I feel Microsoft will eventually release on update that will kill this option, and want to ensure I'm not a slave to the process...what I love about the current process is that I install the DVD my son has purchased to my WHS 2011 and it's added to the library, copied (Video_TS) and ripped (.MP4), stored on the WHS, and accessible by all devices with no additional work on my end.

Any assistance you could offer to replace my front-end on all these devices (2 HTPCs, 2 iPads, 2 iPhones) and keep them synced would be greatly appreciated. Let me know if you need any additional information.

Thank you for your help.

johnozfnq
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2017 6:21:26 AM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (3312)
I'm sorry but I haven't found any ideas on this one.

Is it possible to dual boot windows 10 with windows 7 and have windows 7 only running WMC and MM ??

I'm no IT geek but was wondering about the possibilities. The windows 7 install would be small as it wouldn't have many programs running on it.

If you wanted to watch a movie you could just boot into windows 7.

Anyone ???

Cheers and thanks
theutmost
Posted: Friday, February 10, 2017 11:19:45 PM

Hi all - thank you to Brian B for this open discussion and soliciting users’ feedback, it is much appreciated!
I have now read the entire thread (phew), so time for my 2cents…

First the answers to qns:

1) Lossless main movie MKV is fine, this is exactly what I use.
I don’t care about digitally storing the extra materials, if I want to watch those I put the original plastic in a set-top BR player.

2) MM to me, is what mostly makes WMC, useful.
I also appreciate the TV Series organisation aspects.
I am possibly alone in the world, but I also use and LOVE the Music section of WMC.
I still find the navigation methods with a compatible MCE remote and 10’ interface the best available, for music (provided you understand the tagging requirements - and I do).
I have tried most other Media Centre systems available on the market, and as far as ones that can be easily driven by a standard remote control from the couch (by kids - I don’t want to have to give them my phone/tablet!) the Music section of WMC has no peer - still… but I digress...

3) Full-quality playback is paramount to me, lossless HD audio is at least half the point of why I do this.
I do all rips myself, previously with AnyDVD*HD, but since Slysoft ‘went away’ have been using MakeMKV and am getting perfect results with the full DTS-HD MA or DD TrueHD/Atmos audio - my results are indistinguishable from the original disc (on my system) and that is important to me.
For the record, primary playback zone is a 106” screen, 1080p projector, $4k AVR and approx $12k worth of speakers, HTPC is an Intel NUC, still on Win7.
I would call this setup “mid-range” in terms of quality and expenditure.
Compared to some with purpose-built media rooms, it’s light-weight, but compared to others with eg just an AndroidTV/AppleTV, plugged into a 50” TV and a soundbar it is extreme.

I realise that some users want to watch movies converted/transcoded onto handheld devices eg tablets/phone.
This approach is total anathema to me.
I just cannot understand why you’d ever want to watch a movie on something 5” or 10” (I don’t watch movies on planes for the same reason)

And now with an eye to the future!
Thank you VERY much Brian, for sharing stats on user platform numbers, that is very enlightening, and explains much better why you have such a dilemma.
Like many posting here, I have been using MM since shortly after WMC was first introduced ie well over a decade ago.
So perhaps our “world-view” is skewed more towards traditional setups than the relative numbers of how the majority of users actually use MM, today.

That said, if we play the follow the numbers game it becomes obvious that the biggest user base, in terms of Media Centre flavour in the world today = Kodi.
If you want to stay relevant, and stay afloat, then it’s pretty obviously IMPERATIVE that you find a way of integrating with the Kodi ecosystem, and gaining exposure to a MASSIVE base of NEW potential users, and thereby new revenue stream.

Below is my take on how you would do that, and yes, I am borrowing a couple of ideas from other users in this very thread (I can’t recall who exactly, but thanks anyway - you’ll recognise your own ideas!)

Your online database, with high-quality metadata seems (to me) the main service that you provide, although if I'm honest, like others I am finding increasingly that titles are NOT being found, or being mis-identified.
eg moviename.releaseyear.resolution.soundformat.extensiontype is frequently being detected as Title = soundformat!
At one stage I had seven different new titles in my Collection called "Dolby Atmos Bluray test disc" or "Dolby TrueHD Bluray test disc" simply because the soundformat was specified as part of the file name - your algorythm SHOULD have said "title not found".
This maybe partly "my fault" for obtaining new Bluray releases often as soon as they drop, AND for living in New Zealand so the discs are not in your DB, but where I have had close to 100% failure to detect my rips using standardised names like the format above for the last year, by contrast, Kodi, using TheMovieDB & IMDB scrapers has had 100% SUCCESS at correctly identifying the movie (and version, based on year) over the same time period.

Collection Management module is also clearly popular, as evidenced by sheer numbers of handheld devices in your stats.

So - existing code base - you would pretty well freeze the featureset, apart from minor bug fixes.

You’d start work on “MyMovies Next Generation” a cornerstone of which would be Kodi-integration.
There would be two halves to MMNG.

========================
The First half of MMNG: Server
========================

There would be a MMNG-Server instance installer (paid-for), available for the following platforms:
Windows Server Storage Essentials 2016 (and newer)
Synology NAS package
QNAP NAS package

Optional / maybe: Windows Desktop OS eg Win7/8/10
I’m not sure if this is worthwhile though, especially given the Win10 update model by MS,and the lack of control you have over that - they can break the system anytime and there’s little you can do about it.

The MMNG-Server instance would provide the following features:
A mySQL KODI-format database instance
Metadata lookup, storage, folder monitoring, updates, watched-status updates.

Optional (for all platforms) webserver instance to present collection contents, rather than using the existing MyMovies Online Collection via MyMovies servers

Optional (likely only for Windows SS and Desktop OS platforms) - automatic disc ripping and conversion/remux to MKV etc.

Now the reason I am suggesting a Kodi format DB, is again, simply weight of numbers.
I fully realise that it’s not perfect.
I fully realise that the Kodi DB doesn’t support anything like the full set of EXISTING fields as used in the SQL-Express instance for current MM.
But - it supports enough to be useful.
I would argue that the world is moving more towards digital storage formats and away from optical media, so, again, looking at number of users, average users probably care less about optical disc-specific info / fields which are missing from the Kodi DB schema.
For users that DO care about this info, they can still use the MM Classic versions.
By deliberately doing the setup of the Kodi-db with your installer, you have full control over where & how it is stored, and system admin password etc ie can keep it standard instead of having to provide very explicit recipe/instructions for DIY enthusiast users (which is always prone to error).
The reason I am suggesting Synology and QNAP packages, is that again, there are millions of these devices out there, used by enthusiasts everywhere, to store all their movies & videos. They are relatively extensible, in terms of installing software on them, and if you can get your package into the official 3rd-party repo, then even if paid-for, it may well be the top search result in those repos for Kodi which would likely make it the top purchased app as well!
I’d call it something simple and logical eg MyMovies Kodi Server.

========================
The Second half of MMNG: Client
========================

This would quite simply be a paid-for Kodi plugin.
It would provide a standardised method of connecting to an existing MMNG-Server instance on the network.
Again, since your other module did the install of the Kodi-DB, you would know the db pipe name, and username/password to connect (randomly hashed and maybe tied to our MyMovies account?)
Since it’s all standardised format, from the end-users’ point of view, the complexity of manually creating XML config files and placing in correct location to connect is all managed by your Kodi plugin.

Optional: a WMC-style skin, but to be honest that is really low priority I think.
We’re talking about a large change in usage model here, might as well go with the flow and get people used to Kodi UI.
Kodi v17 is a massive improvement anyway.

Optional: for mobile OS (Android/iOS) - a FREE “Collection Management-only” module.
This doesn’t really do anything in terms of playback - if you want that, you pay for the MMNG-Client plugin, and THEN you can use the mobile modules to control playback of your Kodi instance.

You’ll notice I didn’t make any mention of a Windows UWP app, or a specifically-developed playback app at all.
I really don’t think the first is useful (yet), and the second, would cost you SO much time & resource / dev to achieve (to make a worthwhile one) I don’t see how you could ever make money back on the investment to do so.
Arcsoft obviously thought so too…

My conclusion is that more & more, the Windows OS is becoming irrelevant & useless as a HTPC / Media Centre platform.
The rolling updates nature of Win10 makes this more true as time goes by.
Pretty much the only option for stability with W10 is to use a decent firewall/UTM and prevent your W10 HTPC from phoning home, ever (just whitelist the sites you want to let it connect to eg the MM servers).

I and likely a number of others on these forums would gladly beta-test the MMNG schema I outlined above for you!
And yes, I would pay for the finished product.Money in mouth
If I look even further to the future, it may become possible for a UWP app, if some recent announcements hint at useful dev direction by MS:
https://www.neowin.net/news/kodi-is-coming-back-to-the-xbox-as-a-uwp-app
http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/02/09/microsoft-releases-project-rome-sdk-android-controling-nearby-windows-devices/
A line from the second one in particular, caught my eye:
“In an SDK update "coming soon," controlling remote Windows apps (like a media player) from Android will be possible.”
Something to watch, anyway, but I wouldn’t spend dev hours on it yet…

Sorry for the length of this post, I’m trying to be genuinely constructive here, and have given this all a LOT of thought over the last year or so.
Look forward to hearing your thoughts Brian, and thanks for all the hard work on MM! :-)
Cheers,
tU

* Installing and/or using AnyDVD is illegal in some countries. Users are themselves responsible for complying with local law when installing and using AnyDVD.