Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Best Option to Extend to Multiple Rooms Options · View
ahsllc
Posted: Friday, July 10, 2009 7:44:27 AM
Groups: Member

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (29)
Hi,

I am fairly new to MyMovies and am needing some advise.
I have been running MyMovies on my VMC system for about 4 months with no problems at all. But I would like to now extend the VMC w/MyMovies to multiple rooms in the home. What is the best method of doing this? XBox? Linksys? or build a barebones HTPC and run VMC with MYMovies client on it?
Also if I go with multiple HTPC units how hard is it to make the multiple rooms link up with my Main VMC(already in place) to access all of the movies stored on the Main unit.

Thanks for the help!
mrg
Posted: Friday, July 10, 2009 7:10:20 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (2500)
Since were are both driving down the same road and your a few miles behind me, here are the bumps on the road I have come across. I have the linksys 2100 extender. Lots of issues using the WIFI, far less issues using the Netgear Powerline XAVB101 but almoest flawless hard wired to a gigabyte switch. The Linksys 2100 is discontinued as most extenders are but hopes are high that with the release of Windows 7, manufacturers will release some new extenders. As for the xbox, the peeps here say the new ones are quiet and work well but old ones are too noisy As for HTPC, I reseacrhed a lot of these and you can build or buy a base model for about $250 but these can go clear up to $1000 depending on features like built in LCD touch screens. My Vista machine accesses my Windows Home server far faster than my linksys. I will probably end up building three HTPC's but will wait till Windows 7 comes out to see if there are any hardware isues. Just my thoughts - Max
mattardo
Posted: Friday, July 10, 2009 11:33:45 PM

Groups: Administration , Member, Moderator

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (94549)
An HTPC is the best way to go since it will handle all the files in their native formats - you won't have to transcode or convert them, like you would to do with extenders.
And the cost varies, like mrg said - you can make a cheap one or an expensive one.
Linking up the pcs to the server is as easy as pie - pie that someone else made for you and only requires 2 exceptions in your firewall. Laughing

New to My Movies and confused? Start HERE - CLICK ME!

"One inch of joy surmounts of grief a span;
Because to laugh is proper to the man."
Rabelais
Xonus
Posted: Monday, July 13, 2009 1:43:48 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (5253)
One of the cheapest options is this: Acer R3600

I've got one in the office - plays blurays with no stuttering (TMT3 beta) from mymovies, and can play 720p .mkv's as well if you set it up right without any hickups. Sure, its a bit slow in the interface, but once the movie is playing it works fine. Its quiet as a mouse as well.
jamr
Posted: Monday, July 13, 2009 7:29:30 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (289)
I have been looking at this problem for many years and for the best quality, ease of installation and set-up it definitely the Mac Mini with windows 7 (Free right now)installed via bootcamp. Also get the Gyration remote and keyboard combo.
Everything is controllable and wireless with one remote including your display!
This is definitely the way to go if you want a trouble free quality installation!
If you want a lot of hassles and more work, go with something cheaper.
This whole setup can cost as little as 800$ per display. More expensive than the media players but you get a Mac and Windows computer with browsing capability (Something people say they don't need but end up loving it) and a quality remote. And the Mini is very easy to install pretty much anywhere and very silent.

And as for your storage, get a NAS or a Windows home server. With these products you dont have to leave your HTPC on all the time and can store many more movies!
You can spend a little money on this hardware and have problems or you can spend more and have a trouble free media experience that will last for many years. Your call, but it sucks to have problems when the family tries to watch a movie.
Hope this helps
Jamr

EDIT**
Forgot to tell you I also install TMC on windows 7 and play Blu-rays and all works great! of course the Br's are about 10 times the disk space needed to store them and to rip the Br's you need special expensive software. I dont recommend getting into the Br's. The juice is not worth the squeeze. Unless your using monitors bigger than 60"

Jamr
illrigger
Posted: Monday, July 13, 2009 9:56:23 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (2519)
Or you can buy a Dell Studio desktop with 2GB of RAM, a Pentium Dual Core, a Radeon 4350 and a BD-ROM drive (with the "expensive software") for around $600. Sure, it's not shiny and small, but it's a lot more for your money in an HTPC.

My Systems:
Windows Home Server - Athlon II x4 620, DFI BI 785-M35 Mainboard, 4GB DDR3-1600, 5.5TB SATA storage, BD/HD-DVD ROM Drive
Windows 7 Media Center - Phenom II x3 720BE @ x4 3.2GHz, DFI 790GX-M3H5 Mianboard, 4GB DDR3-1600, 320GB SATA storage, Radeon 5770, BD-ROM drive

Having issues? Did you read this and provide the requested information in your post?
kilob
Posted: Tuesday, July 14, 2009 10:35:51 AM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (613)
I’m not sure if this is what you are after, but ill explain my setup, incase it gives you any ideas.

I have a media PC in the front room connected to my Plasma Screen via HDMI (with a cheap powered HDMI splitter to keep EDID Info alive when the screen is off), also on my Motherboard I have component out.

The system is set to clone mode which means I get the same screen on both outputs (actually by some lucky quirk of the motherboard, I get 1080P on the HDMI output, and 1080i on t the component out)

I have then used this product http://www.audioauthority.com/product_details/AVP-11/Cat_5/5/1 to distribute the output to a LCD display in our bedroom.

I have then got this http://www.keene.co.uk/electronic/keene-electronics/keene-ir-distribution-amp-kit-(inc-irsr--irhpw)/IRBKITSH.html for remote control which plugs into Uni Drive

This now gives me full IR control of the Media PC upstairs in the bedroom as if I was in the front room. Even my wife can use it without any issues.

This solution means you can only watch the same movie as the main display, but it might be what you are after