Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Version 3 User interface Options · View
davieboy
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2008 11:00:06 PM
Groups: Member

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (2503)
Hey Peeps check out whats going on over here. Look at the amazing iterface this guy created. Brian maybe you should be talking to this man.

http://discuss.mediacentersandbox.com/forums/thread/7226.aspx

Cool
iansilv
Posted: Friday, April 11, 2008 1:13:05 AM

Groups: Moderator

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (2640)
I love it- it looks like a Kaliedescape
i think this is What Brian is working on.

Basic rules: Don't be annoying, don't be obnoxious, and don't post crap, and we will all get along fine. :)
bledsoe812
Posted: Friday, April 11, 2008 3:25:39 AM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (1018)
Honestly, there is a lot of people getting impatient on all the media center related boards. I love MyMovies, and the database is the best around, but honestly it may not keep its users much longer in my opinion. Personally, I'm willing to give up a lot of options to have a good looking interface. I know Brian is very persistent about not giving release dates or posting screen shots, buy my opinion is that he should at least give updates to keep people interested. I'm pretty sure he has said his reasoning for this is to not upset people when he doesn't meet his deadline or the UI changes from a beta screenshot. That is easy though - just post a realistic deadline and / or make sure to let the boards know layouts may change. He could generate a lot of buzz by posting something. I may be alone here (I doubt it), but the MCCL interface is what everyone is waiting for! Unfortunately pretty is what impresses people after a certain point of functionality - and My Movies reached that point a long time ago.
gamacky
Posted: Friday, April 11, 2008 8:00:36 AM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (15265)
Ah, so you're just out to impress people with softwares that you're getting for free? Wow.. That impressed me.
mattardo
Posted: Friday, April 11, 2008 12:24:51 PM

Groups: Administration , Member, Moderator

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (94549)
I think he's referring to the software impressing the user when one has to choose what software to use for their media center, I can't be positive on the matter but that's the implication I receive.

While I like pretty things (except flowers - flowers are for children trying to bait Frankenstein's monster into drowning them) I also feel that utility will always outweigh beauty, after all - most of us have media centers for the features it offers us and not as an artistic statement or expression. An example would be Apple's Itunes : the cover flow feature sure is pretty, but it's a royal pain in the butt to find music to listen to if you have lots of music and aren't adept at memorizing covers. Likewise their other views are visually appealing but lack in ease of use - so I never listen to music from itunes - I merely use it to transfer music to my i-pod. It's still a pain in the butt and I hope someone slaps Apple around with some common sense someday and we finally get an easy to use program.

Windows Media Player 11 is sure pretty to look at, but it's also a pain-in-the-butt when trying to navigate music. Whatever happened to the concept of a cd? Now every media program out there (perhaps not all) seems to be primarily song-centric as opposed to cd-centric. While that's good for people who like to buy 3 songs off of a cd, it's bad for those of us who buy the whole cd and the user interface suffers from it. So consequently I hate using Windows Media Player for anything, so I do not.

I suppose what I'm saying is that while I appreciate a pretty interface as much as the next guy, I would hate to see functionality and ease-of-use sacrificed for the sake of a "slick" interface. I hear Vista is awfully pretty with it's aero-this and see-through that, but I wouldn't know because I'm still living in XP land where it's more useful currently. This reminds me of the days when I was trying everything from Meedio to all those other Media Center programs and finally realized that, while pretty, they sure were buggy...

New to My Movies and confused? Start HERE - CLICK ME!

"One inch of joy surmounts of grief a span;
Because to laugh is proper to the man."
Rabelais
yodine
Posted: Friday, April 11, 2008 2:42:07 PM
Groups: Member , Windows Home Server

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (18115)
I agree with the planning thing. Even if you don't want to give a date, you can still keep people informed.

Open source project sometimes do this : on a planning page, you have the new version 3, with the major task below. There is at least the new MCML UI, a new installer, etc. Then, without giving any date (can still try this year), you just give the amount done, like 5%.

Like this you don't say a date you won't stand, you just tell people what has been done and what is left.

This way people know how the project is moving, even if it is moving.
Because here we don't even know if he is doing version 3 in parallel, which i hope he does)

He could even say he won't talk elsewhere of this planning.

As Brian advertised a lot about V3, because of the problems with hosted HTML, he should do something simple to let a minimum people know where he is going.

Usualy people just want comunication, they don't realy need the date. They just want to know what is happening. You can even tell them nothing happens, this is ok as long as you comunicate it ;-)

mattardo : i don't understand your media player 11 stuff. I only buy CD (i find it in the end less expensive than online and after i can do whatever i want with the music) and rip them as soon as i go home (PC or Sonos system is used to hear music other the house). With the artist view, the year view, the album view, you only see albums. You never see direct song. So for me player 11 is realy CD thinking. I pick a CD album cover or a singer (you then see the last album cover), right click and select "play" then it plays the all CD
boyce1
Posted: Friday, April 11, 2008 3:10:32 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (38304)
Ummm, sparkly...

I agree with Ian - I think this is what Brian is working towards.

I do love the iTunes Cover Flow view and use it all the time when I have people over as it makes it easy for them to tell what is playing or select something themselves. There are two problems with it though: first the fonts are tiny if you are trying to select a particular song but this can be "fixed" by changing a couple of bits in one of the dll files and second when in full screen mode it runs in some sort of protected video mode so your monitor goes black when you display it on your TV - well three problems no FLAC support...

A Cover Flow type view would be a great optional view for v3 of My Movies...
dvdmonster
Posted: Friday, April 11, 2008 4:07:44 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (1846)
I agree, the Kaliedescape-lool-alike is awesome.
Love the basic cover look, with an optional transparent overlay with detailed information.

I also agree that it is depressing no teaser information about V3 is given out.
People will just stop waiting/caring and going with another of the great looking movie managers coming out.
I think most people will choose a great looking Kaliedescape-lool-alike over detailed database information of 50 actor names for each movie.
roirraw "edor" eht
Posted: Friday, April 11, 2008 5:24:21 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (17992)
I'm a function over form kind of person. My Movies works great for what I need it for as is. Everything additional is just fantastic. There are several features of My Movies which I don't even use yet, but I may someday. I don't have the hard drive space to dedicate to permanantly ripped DVDs, and I can't afford a DVD changer.

I look forward to new versions of all programs I use, but that's because I'm a new version hound. But if My Movies doesn't get updated for x amount of months with no word about it either, I won't care much. I took a lot of time and care to enter my 650+ movies into My Movies. I am not switching to another database program that easily. The only time I would get impatient with My Movies is if it suddenly had a compatibility issue and didn't function as well until it got updated, but this hasn't been the case for me.
bledsoe812
Posted: Friday, April 11, 2008 6:40:30 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (1018)
gamacky wrote:
Ah, so you're just out to impress people with softwares that you're getting for free? Wow.. That impressed me.

Not at all what I'm saying. I'm saying that after the basic features of seeing the DVD cover, reading a synopsis, and being able to watch a movie - all things My Movies is able to currently do - my opinion is that any basic user of media center will choose the plug-in with the best looking interface. I know there are several hard-core users here that want more functionality out of a plug-in than a nice looking interface, but I'm speaking of the population in general...the casual media center user.

I find it funny that if anyone voices a concern or request, the usual reply is that they "are ungrateful" and/or that they "don't have a right to complain because it is a product they didn't pay for." I thought we were all a community...isn't a discussion of the user's opinions what helps make the product better?

My opinion is simple & can be summed up in four sentences.
1. I can't imagine media center w/o My Movies.
2. I feel like Brian is keeping us in the dark about v3.
3. I am afraid to see a lot of the non-hardcore users choosing a different product if there is no communication about 3 from Brian.
4. I don't want to see that happen.
bledsoe812
Posted: Friday, April 11, 2008 6:41:59 PM

mattardo wrote:
I think he's referring to the software impressing the user when one has to choose what software to use for their media center, I can't be positive on the matter but that's the implication I receive.

Exactly - the casual user or the one new to Media Center.
gamacky
Posted: Friday, April 11, 2008 7:08:52 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (15265)
bledsoe812 wrote:
gamacky wrote:

Not at all what I'm saying. I'm saying that after the basic features of seeing the DVD cover, reading a synopsis, and being able to watch a movie - all things My Movies is able to currently do - my opinion is that any basic user of media center will choose the plug-in with the best looking interface. I know there are several hard-core users here that want more functionality out of a plug-in than a nice looking interface, but I'm speaking of the population in general...the casual media center user.

I find it funny that if anyone voices a concern or request, the usual reply is that they "are ungrateful" and/or that they "don't have a right to complain because it is a product they didn't pay for." I thought we were all a community...isn't a discussion of the user's opinions what helps make the product better?

My opinion is simple & can be summed up in four sentences.
1. I can't imagine media center w/o My Movies.
2. I feel like Brian is keeping us in the dark about v3.
3. I am afraid to see a lot of the non-hardcore users choosing a different product if there is no communication about 3 from Brian.
4. I don't want to see that happen.

If you think about what you originally posted, if a new user comes on the forum and read that, what do you think the impression it would be for that new user? Are you really helping here? If you really feel that you don't want to see new users leaving as you stated in number 4 above, then you'd help to advocate rather than implicate. I'm not against opinions, but to me, your original post is just a glorified whining. I do, however, appreciate many of the other posts in this thread advocating this product. I also think this is a great product and it is very usable and beyond in terms of features and functions in its current version. New version is not always great as in case of PDVD 8, but I do look forward to new versions. At the mean time, we provide suggestions and feature requests to help along. You can whine all you want, but the new version will come out when it's ready to come out and if Brian is ready to release info or screenshots, he will. My opinion may be harsh, so be it. I'll be the next Simon Cowell.
migoto
Posted: Friday, April 11, 2008 7:35:40 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (4)
I think what everyone is trying to say, is MCML is way over due, and for good reasons we know, (updating the back end to make sure there is a stable product) but there are "others" out there working on My Movies replacements in MCML, and they are because there is no ETA, there is no information on how or what it will look like, nothing. To me that just says it's not in development, yet I know otherwise because I read these boards, but to most, that's what it looks like. Now if there was some status updates, some kind of information to keep people in the loop, then these "others" wouldn't even bother trying to make a replacement, because what would be the point?

When people make these kind of comments, some users in here take it as a personal attack on Brian/MyMovies, "how ungrateful can these people be for asking for an update on v3 when the software is free"... how dare they. But I personally, and this isn't the first time I've said it, and I was attacked for it, but I don't want to see other people going to another product just because it looks better... but they will. Just my two cents.
nick_rackham
Posted: Friday, April 11, 2008 7:45:23 PM

Groups: Member , Moderator

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (80565)
Just my two pence worth, people will vote with their feet, if they like it keep using, supporting and wait for the next version, if not, move on, seems like an awful lot of effort going into this debate. Yes, like many here I would love to see a development plan and maybe some indicative screen shots and potential release dates, but that's not how it works here. So, I'm sticking with a functional product, MyMovies :) if I wanted something good to look at, but didn't really do anything, I'd have kept my ex wife ;) (and please take that last comment with the humour that was intended!)

Gamackay, Simon's good, and very cutting, but I prefer the Gordon Ramsey approach! not so subtle! ;)
boyce1
Posted: Friday, April 11, 2008 7:54:04 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (38304)
gamacky wrote:
My opinion may be harsh, so be it. I'll be the next Simon Cowell.

I think Simon Cowell would drive away more users than the lack of screen shots of V3 - although I have been tempted to call on him whenever someone posts, "Where did my thumbnails go"... Cool

But I digress... Since you are going to be the next Simon Cowell and therefore a multimillionaire I would like to volunteer to document your rise to stardom. Please send me one of those 48 Terabyte servers discussed in another thread...

boyce1
Posted: Friday, April 11, 2008 7:55:55 PM

nick_rackham wrote:

Gamackay, Simon's good, and very cutting, but I prefer the Gordon Ramsey approach! not so subtle! ;)

And he can cook...supposedly...
gamacky
Posted: Friday, April 11, 2008 7:56:00 PM

nick_rackham wrote:

LOL... I don't think I ever seen Gordon Ramsey smile. At least Simon smiles on a regular basis. Laughing

migoto wrote:
Now if there was some status updates, some kind of information to keep people in the loop, then these "others" wouldn't even bother trying to make a replacement, because what would be the point?

The point is to have competion, to have options, to have choices, to not have a monopoly, etc.
gamacky
Posted: Friday, April 11, 2008 7:59:07 PM

boyce1 wrote:
But I digress... Since you are going to be the next Simon Cowell and therefore a multimillionaire I would like to volunteer to document your rise to stardom. Please send me one of those 48 Terabyte servers discussed in another thread...

LOL.. That was my next comment that I only wished I could make as much as Simon does by doing this. Sorry, no such luck. But I'll keep working on it. Cool
bledsoe812
Posted: Friday, April 11, 2008 8:01:59 PM

gamacky wrote:
If you think about what you originally posted, if a new user comes on the forum and read that, what do you think the impression it would be for that new user? Are you really helping here? If you really feel that you don't want to see new users leaving as you stated in number 4 above, then you'd help to advocate rather than implicate. I'm not against opinions, but to me, your original post is just a glorified whining. I do, however, appreciate many of the other posts in this thread advocating this product. I also think this is a great product and it is very usable and beyond in terms of features and functions in its current version. New version is not always great as in case of PDVD 8, but I do look forward to new versions. At the mean time, we provide suggestions and feature requests to help along. You can whine all you want, but the new version will come out when it's ready to come out and if Brian is ready to release info or screenshots, he will. My opinion may be harsh, so be it. I'll be the next Simon Cowell.

So, because I like My Movies I shouldn't voice my concerns? I should praise the current interface to convince the upcoming users that it is the best option on the market? I think a lot of "new user" opportunities have been lost or the other options wouldn't be popping up. I think a lot of the users use My Movies use it because there didn't use to be many options, especially to Vista users. This is starting to change, and there looks to be many options available now or soon. I want to stay with My Movies for many reasons, but it gets harder everyday to not give another plug-in a try. Yes, I know the current My Movies works on vista, but many people, myself included, want thinks to flow together. If I wanted things to look like mce 2005, I wouldn't have upgraded a year ago. As migoto stated, I think the MCML is way over due. If it isn't obvious the first time the "new user" runs it, then chances are they won't be signing up and seeing my comments.
boyce1
Posted: Friday, April 11, 2008 9:00:33 PM

bledsoe812 wrote:

So, because I like My Movies I shouldn't voice my concerns? I should praise the current interface to convince the upcoming users that it is the best option on the market?

I don't think that's it, but rather Brian has stated many times that he won't be posting screen shots or timelines and we are likely beating a dead horse requesting same.

Personally as a kid I frequently poked "dead" things and was sometimes surprised...