Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

HD/BD movies ripped to a hard drive no longer play in MyMovies Options · View
dnr
Posted: Sunday, May 11, 2008 7:27:47 PM
Groups: Member

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (20)
I have looked to find this problem in these forums, with no luck. The basic issue is that HD and BD ripped movies (in folder form) will not play from within VMC/MyMovies. They play very fine just running Cyberlink PowerDVD 7 outside of Media Center. Within VMC Power DVD seems to open, but then the screen just goes black. This is true in MyMovies 2.45PR3 ane it ws true before I upgraded MyMovies from 2.42.

Previous to upgrading to MyMovies 2.45pr3 I was running 2.42. Everything was working fine and then it just stopped.
1. I did not upgrade PowerDVD. Still running with last build that supports online movies.
2. I did upgrade to AnyDVD* build 6420.
3. I have not upgraded to Vista 32-bit SP1. Running Vista 32-bit.
4. I have not changed antivirus (MS OneCare) and anyway I tried it with firewalls, etc., turned off.
5. All non-SP1 updates applied to Vista.
6. Inside Collection Manager under Media Center Interface it lists Power DVD 7 and "Ignore PowerDVDs inability to play file structure." With this not checked I get a message about ISO, which I don't have.

To duplicate the problem:
1. Open VMC
2. Open MyMovies
3. Select ANY HD or BD title.
4. Screen is black.

Log dump is attached.

File Attachment(s):
log.txt (91kb) downloaded 1 time(s).

* Installing and/or using AnyDVD is illegal in some countries. Users are themselves responsible for complying with local law when installing and using AnyDVD.

digitalfreak
Posted: Sunday, May 11, 2008 7:56:31 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (4012)
It's my understanding that MyMovies no longer supports HD/Blu-ray playback via folders. Only via ISOs.
binnerup
Posted: Sunday, May 11, 2008 9:12:32 PM

Groups: Administration , Windows RT/8 Discussion Group

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (70586)
It is not My Movies that does not support it - PowerDVD never supported playing Blu-ray file structures via. command line, and newer PowerDVD 7 versions does not support playing file structures at all.

Having trouble installing or upgrading to My Movies 5? Click here for troubleshooting.

Having a problem? Searching our Knowledge Base is always the first step.

How can I produce a log file in My Movies for Windows?

How can I fully uninstall My Movies for Windows
dnr
Posted: Monday, May 12, 2008 12:43:22 AM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (20)
binnerup wrote:
It is not My Movies that does not support it - PowerDVD never supported playing Blu-ray file structures via. command line, and newer PowerDVD 7 versions does not support playing file structures at all.

1. So why has it been working for so long and why did you add the option in MyMovies tp "Ignore PowerDVDs inability to play file structure?"
2. I assume that it works outside of Media Center because the command line interface is not being used. Can you not envoke the same command that is used when a user clicks on PowerDVD?
3. In addition, if PowerDVD does not support it, why does MyMovies allow it?
4. So, do I need to convert all of my file structures to ISO?
ryan_hurst
Posted: Monday, May 12, 2008 1:48:31 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (12448)
dnr wrote:

1. So why has it been working for so long and why did you add the option in MyMovies tp "Ignore PowerDVDs inability to play file structure?"

Because some people had asked to have this option added back in so they could work with older versions of powerdvd that still supported this.

dnr wrote:

2. I assume that it works outside of Media Center because the command line interface is not being used. Can you not envoke the same command that is used when a user clicks on PowerDVD?

Yes autoplay is used by mce for inserted disks, also pdvd has some very limited integration with MM that Brian doesnt get to use, so no this doesnt work for MM usage scenarios.

dnr wrote:

3. In addition, if PowerDVD does not support it, why does MyMovies allow it?

See #1

dnr wrote:

4. So, do I need to convert all of my file structures to ISO?

Yup.

How to turn a My Movies XML Export into a Report.
Playing DVDs via VISTA's Media Center and the XBOX 360
How are DVD VOBs different than plain MPEG 2s?
VideoReDo now can remap the default AC3 output stream to 0x80
My Blog
dnr
Posted: Monday, May 12, 2008 6:17:01 PM

Ryan,
Your reply is appreciated. However, there is still some doubt in my mind.
1. I have been working with the same verison of PowerDVD for over a year. Folders were working and now they are not. I haven't upgraded PowerDVD.
2. If PowerDVD supports folders when invoked from a Windows shortcut, i.e., with a known path, why can't this same path be used internally within MyMovies, even if it means shelling out or even giving the user another button to push?

There has got to be some reason it was working and now it is not. The dump seemed like it was looking at my HD and BD drives and not to a hard drive path. I ain't ready to roll over on this. There has got to be someway to make it work. For now I just use MyMovies to build a library, but when I play a movie I open PowerDVD directly and choose the file on my media server.
ryan_hurst
Posted: Tuesday, May 13, 2008 4:27:15 AM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (12448)
dnr wrote:

1. I have been working with the same verison of PowerDVD for over a year. Folders were working and now they are not. I haven't upgraded PowerDVD.

My Movies stopped supporting folders when PowerDVD stopped supporting folders, as a compromise the [ ] do it anyway option was added; if you have upgraded MM and now they are not working and the new [ ] do it anyway option is not enabled its no suprise its not working.

dnr wrote:

2. If PowerDVD supports folders when invoked from a Windows shortcut, i.e., with a known path, why can't this same path be used internally within MyMovies, even if it means shelling out or even giving the user another button to push?

PowerDVD has removed the capability to launch folders in its most recent versions, prior versions of MM used command line options to launch titles with PDVD but when they removed the ability to do this Brian removed the capability to take advantage of it UNLESS the [ ] do it anyway option is enabled.

My Blog
dnr
Posted: Tuesday, May 13, 2008 4:44:41 PM

Ryan,
As I indicated in my initial post, yes the do it anyway is enabled. Here is the difference:
1. Do it anyway not enabled - You get a long message that says "Cyberlink is not able to play file structures......."
2. Do it anyway enabled - Black screen for any HD/BD title.
ryan_hurst
Posted: Wednesday, May 14, 2008 2:38:00 AM

Do it anyway should work with older versions of PDVD, the only thing I can imagine is that your copy of PDVD was updated manually or automatically and the ability was removed; if you can determine the command line that works on your machine with your instance of PDVD that would result in a play with a file structure brian could compare that to what he does in his code, but again what he does did work with older versions of PDVD and he has not changed what he does.

My Blog
dnr
Posted: Wednesday, May 14, 2008 7:57:17 PM

Using Properties on the cyberLink shortcut gives: "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\PowerDVD.exe" Not very helpful. The date on PowerDVD.exe is 9/6/2007. At this point I don't know what else to do. I am resetting the player option in Collection Manager and see if I get a different result.

Thanks for helping me out on this.
ryan_hurst
Posted: Thursday, May 15, 2008 2:56:43 AM

According to the slysoft forums, Power DVD 7 Ultra after version 3319f doesn't support playing HD-DVD movies from a harddrive.

I dont know what date is associated with that build but thats the last version that supported it.

It never supported playing BluRay files from the hard drive, the command line folks used was: "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\PowerDVD.exe {0}ADV_OBJ\VPLST000.XPL"

Where {0} is the drive letter and folder name that has the content on it, if this works when you manualy do it the option in MM should still work as I am fairly sure thats all its doing.

My Blog