Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Can I control my Dune media player the same way Disc Changers are controlled? Options · View
jevansoh
Posted: Saturday, January 05, 2019 6:34:39 AM
Groups: Member

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (2509)
Hello,

I've now successfully set up my disc changers and enjoy being able to control them via my PC. I use my PC to browse what I want to watch with My Movies for Windows Media Center, then select what I want to watch from the PC and it controls my Sony BDP-CX7000es blu-ray changers.

I also have a Dune media player and have read My Movies supports this, but I'm wondering if it supports it in the same way as the changers, where I can browse what I want to watch on my PC then select the movie I want to watch from Windows Media Center and have it play on the Dune.

Does this work? How do I set this up?

It'd be great if I could have seamless control over my disc changers and Dune at the same time with all my movies and tv shows in one place on the PC.

Thanks,

--J
binnerup
Posted: Monday, January 07, 2019 12:26:50 PM

Groups: Administration , Windows RT/8 Discussion Group

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (52)
If you have your titles copied to storage, you can, yes - but it must be on storage.

But it requires manual switching to the input of the Dune - it has no input switching options like the disc changers.

Having trouble installing or upgrading to My Movies 5? Click here for troubleshooting.

Having a problem? Searching our Knowledge Base is always the first step.

How can I produce a log file in My Movies for Windows?

How can I fully uninstall My Movies for Windows
jevansoh
Posted: Wednesday, January 09, 2019 1:27:14 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (2509)
What do you mean by copied to storage?

How do I set it up?
jevansoh
Posted: Thursday, January 10, 2019 6:10:32 AM

@binnerup I don't know what do you mean by copied to storage?
mbarnstijn
Posted: Thursday, January 10, 2019 3:41:37 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (110033)
@jevansoh, Brian (binnerup) means that the Dune can only play back media files that are kept on a storage device that the Dune can access. For example, a hard drive or SSD drive attached (internal or USB) to the Dune, or network drives that the Dune can access.

You have to store your media files to whatever storage device the Dune can access for playback.

Those media files would also have a network address that you must put into Collection Management, associated with the title, so that CM can build the meta data for the Dune player.

There are instructions for using the Dune in the How-To wiki on the MyMovies website.

If you still have questions, post a new message in this thread and one of us Dune users (I'm one of them) will eventually try to answer you.

Cheers,

--michael
binnerup
Posted: Friday, January 11, 2019 8:43:39 AM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (52)
Exactly - the Sony changers are able to play the content because the discs are available to the changers - the Dune needs the disc available somewhere, and the only option for that is having it copied to storage, like an attached harddrive or a NAS device.

Having trouble installing or upgrading to My Movies 5? Click here for troubleshooting.

Having a problem? Searching our Knowledge Base is always the first step.

How can I produce a log file in My Movies for Windows?

How can I fully uninstall My Movies for Windows
jevansoh
Posted: Friday, January 11, 2019 6:18:36 PM

My Dune is set up with SMB for its access to my files.

Will that work?

Does anyone have a link to the setup/help wiki mentioned in an above post?

So again, I access my files via SMB. There is no storage device hooked directly to the Dune.

I'd really appreciate an example of how to set up a movie.

Can I use the scraper to find all the movies on the SMB shares or would I have to input each and every movie, one by one, separately and manually?

Thanks,

--J
mbarnstijn
Posted: Saturday, January 12, 2019 1:55:26 AM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (110033)
My Movies->How To->My Movies Wiki->Meta Data ... Dune

You can alternatively get there by clicking the How-To link at the top of this forum page...and following to My Movies Wiki ... and scrolling down to Meta Data and clicking Dune.

--michael
jevansoh
Posted: Saturday, January 12, 2019 6:46:27 AM

Ok, thanks for the replies.

I've looked at the wiki and it appears the solution it's talking about is to use My Movies on the Dune player itself, meaning I'd be browsing the Dune player and playing directly from the Dune player.

This is not what I want to do.

I want to browse my collection from Windows Media Center on my PC, just like I do with the Disc changers, then select a movie and have it play on the Dune, just like if I was selecting a movie on a Disc in the DVD Changer, it would play on the changer itself.

There are lots of times, for concert videos for instance, that I don't want to turn the projector on to play something. I "listen" instead of "watch" a lot, so being able to select what I want to "watch" from My Movies for WMC and have it automatically play on the Dune is my top priority.

Can this be done? If so, do you have a link to instructions on how to set it up?

Thanks,

--J
binnerup
Posted: Saturday, January 12, 2019 7:02:49 AM

jevansoh
Posted: Saturday, January 12, 2019 9:26:29 AM

If it can't be done with Dune, is there any support for an Oppo 205 or even an alternative media player?

I'd love to use MM on my Oppo.
jevansoh
Posted: Saturday, January 12, 2019 12:18:01 PM

Do the new Dune's (4K versions) still work with MM?

I have a new Zidoo Z9S and they are the ODM for Dune, meaning they're basically the same players, but I can't figure out how to enable MM on it. Does anyone have any experience with the newest generation of Dune players or alternatives?