Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Detection of full-cover scans for THINpak covers? (auto-crop) Options · View
deprongmori
Posted: Thursday, February 07, 2019 12:39:23 AM
Groups: Member

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (17413)
A friend recently introduced me to the Windows app automatic feature that detects when a full (front/spine/back) cover scan is selected by the user for the "Select Front Cover", and then offers to snip and insert the appropriate pieces into the "Select Front Cover" and "Select Back Cover" areas. I love this feature, as it is a huge time-saver.

However, it does not seem to detect a THINpak cover scan (such as those used in Criterion Eclipse sets), and just inserts the whole oblong front/spine/back image into the "Select Front Cover" slot without prompting first. Any chance of this wonderful feature making it into the world of THINpak cover scans? Thanks!
binnerup
Posted: Thursday, February 07, 2019 7:15:25 AM

Groups: Administration , Windows RT/8 Discussion Group

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (130665)
deprongmori
Posted: Thursday, February 07, 2019 7:56:12 AM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (17413)
What is the risk, since the user is prompted first? If it is not a THINpak cover, the user would just say “no, don’t crop”. There seems to be zero risk. If you are measuring from the outside in to a standard width, this should be simple, no?

(If you wanted to get REALLY fancy, you could test first if “Cover Type” = “THINpak”, but that seems excessive. A simple prompt seems fine.
binnerup
Posted: Thursday, February 07, 2019 8:04:36 AM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (130665)
Checking the cover type could be one option, but problem is that it typically is not set when the user are importing a cover art.

I guess it would be possible to prompt, but if users of a standard case size gets a prompt if this is a thinpak, which 75% of all users have no idea what is, they will just answer yes, and we would still be left with a cover where the content is partly cropped away.

I do not think it is a good idea to be honest, but do try to drop 5-10 barcodes of titles with these case types, and attach a full cover scan, and I can check.

Having trouble installing or upgrading to My Movies 5? Click here for troubleshooting.

Having a problem? Searching our Knowledge Base is always the first step.

How can I produce a log file in My Movies for Windows?

How can I fully uninstall My Movies for Windows
deprongmori
Posted: Thursday, February 07, 2019 10:41:22 AM

Thinking about this some more, you don't even need to know whether it's DVD or Blu, whether it's Keepcase, THINpak, HD Low, or HD Low Slim. All you need to ask is whether it is a full cover scan (front/spine/back). The front and back of all of them are exactly the same width. Measure from the right and crop to keep the right side and you've got the Front Cover regardless of case type. Measure from the left and crop to keep the left side and you've got the Back Cover. The piece that falls to the floor is the Spine, and it doesn't matter what width it is. You use whatever height is provided, which takes care of Blu vs DVD, regardless of case type. If you see that the submitted image is wider than tall, simply prompt to ask "Is this a full cover scan (Front/Spine/Back)? Would you like it trimmed to fit the Front and Back Covers?" and if they respond in the affirmative you are good to go. (If you want to be a bit more careful, assume that it must be at least Front-width+Back-width+(just shy of 7mm, which is the width of a THINpak case) before you prompt. Me? I'd just check for "more wide than tall" and asking whether to crop. You're not going to do any worse that the current default behavior, and likely much better.)

"The Mizoguchi Collection" (barcode 5021866035406) is a slipcase which includes all THINpak Blu-ray cases. you can look at the width of those. "Silent Ozu: Three Crime Dramas" (barcode 715515145114) is an example of a set of THINpak DVD cases, and also an example of the Criterion Eclipse set -- of which there are 42+ sets.

Here are the scans of the four full (front/spine/back) scans of the four THINpak Blu-ray covers for "The Carl Theodor Dreyer Collection" (barcode 5035673012086) from BFI. I've attached them as examples.

deprongmori
Posted: Thursday, February 07, 2019 10:57:51 AM

Hi Brian, the Upload function is choking on my upload of the PNG files with the full cover scans. What's the best way to transfer the four files? Heading to bed now, so will transfer via your preferred method tomorrow. They are about 16MB each.
binnerup
Posted: Thursday, February 07, 2019 3:35:45 PM

deprongmori
Posted: Thursday, February 07, 2019 7:05:42 PM

Attached in Zip file. Thanks.

(Update: I'll email you a single zipped file. Upload attempt for Zip with four files keeps timing out in middle of upload. Zip with a single file inside failing with the following:

Server Error in '/' Application.
Maximum request length exceeded.
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Web.HttpException: Maximum request length exceeded.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[HttpException (0x80004005): Maximum request length exceeded.]
System.Web.HttpRequest.GetEntireRawContent() +12364765
System.Web.HttpRequest.GetMultipartContent() +221
System.Web.HttpRequest.FillInFormCollection() +357
System.Web.HttpRequest.EnsureForm() +110
System.Web.HttpRequest.get_HasForm() +12367227
System.Web.UI.Page.GetCollectionBasedOnMethod(Boolean dontReturnNull) +146
System.Web.UI.Page.DeterminePostBackMode() +129
System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +322

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.0.30319.36388)
binnerup
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2019 8:54:47 AM

deprongmori
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2019 9:53:56 AM

Zip contain files at JPEG low resolution. I hope this is what you need.

File Attachment(s):
MM THINpak Covers.zip (3,325kb) downloaded 2 time(s).

deprongmori
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2019 7:10:04 AM

FWIW, the full-cover scan-and-crop feature also fails with Indicator covers from their box sets. (For example, the Dual-Format Keep Cases in “The Sinbad Trilogy”.) The width of the full scans is exactly the same as those of “Keep Case (HD, Low)” and “Keep Case (Std.)”, but the height is less than a DVD, but taller than a typical Blu-ray cover. And again, the width of the actual Front Cover and actual Back Cover are exactly the same in all three cases. The height can be ignored beyond the fact that it is less than the width. The width of the spine can also be ignored if we are measuring a standard distance from the out edges in to capture the Front and Back Covers.

I am currently running the latest Pre-release on Windows 10.
binnerup
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2019 9:29:26 AM