Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Lazy contributors? Options · View
binnerup
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2019 3:16:22 PM

Groups: Administration , Windows RT/8 Discussion Group

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (52)
stefaand
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2019 7:00:38 PM
Groups: Member

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (117874)
Thanks Brian, will contribute updated and complete versions of these titles during the week.
deprongmori
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2019 9:51:45 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (16182)
Could you provide guidance on a situation I've encountered at least once: Where a Blu-ray-based box set will have an additional DVD with some special features, and that DVD gets read by the app as "perhaps a backup disc"? If the DVD was packaged with the set, should we include the Disc-ID for that DVD, or not include any of the Disc-IDs?

I know some major players are throwing MOD or DVD-R discs out there, sometimes without warning.
johnnyicemaker
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2019 10:39:36 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (58356)
I believe the rule of thumb is to contribute all or none. Partial information on a title is frowned upon...

So, if the package comes with a Blu-ray and DVD, you disc ID both. If it comes with a DVD, and Digital Copy disc you include both as long as the software can read the disc IDs. The only time I have not included both discs in a package was when the package came with a DVD and a CD with music from the movie, the software was not able to read the CD disc ID, probably a different format or something. But this was an extremely rare occurrence, and clarification from the moderators was obtained prior to final contribution.
binnerup
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2019 9:10:21 AM

Groups: Administration , Windows RT/8 Discussion Group

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (52)
deprongmori wrote:
Could you provide guidance on a situation I've encountered at least once: Where a Blu-ray-based box set will have an additional DVD with some special features, and that DVD gets read by the app as "perhaps a backup disc"? If the DVD was packaged with the set, should we include the Disc-ID for that DVD, or not include any of the Disc-IDs?

I know some major players are throwing MOD or DVD-R discs out there, sometimes without warning.

If it is not a backup disc, then you read the disc id and apply it.

The only place there is a problem is the on-demand Blu-ray titles that are popping up, which does not have AACS protection, and therefore no disc id - here, you will have to contribute other disc ids, but you naturally cannot of the one that does not have one.

Having trouble installing or upgrading to My Movies 5? Click here for troubleshooting.

Having a problem? Searching our Knowledge Base is always the first step.

How can I produce a log file in My Movies for Windows?

How can I fully uninstall My Movies for Windows
kiryuinsatsuki
Posted: Saturday, March 09, 2019 4:24:44 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (17616)
So I will admit to having made the disc ID mistake on many of stefaand's titles. I very, very profusely apologize for adding to your, and anyone else's, import jobs.

Here is the problem. It was NOT me being lazy. It was not understanding the requirements properly. I read through the rules for contributing tons of times but it never sank in that when it is a complete collection, you HAVE to put the IDs in and I didn't understand the implications for the work it causes others, OR the pain it causes for users of more advanced features of MyMovies that I don't use. I didn't just put one in to get the credit, I mistakenly thought that was what was needed. Call me stupid if you like, lazy, given the amount of work that goes into just getting covers and such in, is not really fair. I do admit to not putting as much effort into it as many of you seem to be though, so compared to you folks, I guess I am lazy. But many of these can take an hour or more to build, even without the DISC IDs.

I am almost positive that I uploaded profiles this way that required moderator sign off and was never corrected, though for some reason I don't have to go through that approval anymore. Not sure when that happened. Had I been notified I wasn't doing it right, you can bet your behind I would have gotten these right the FIRST time, as now that I am aware going back is proving tedious. But it's MY fault and I am correcting it. And now that I am aware, my profiles moving forward will be correct.

I see how many might think this is lazy. Now that I am aware of it, I am actually going back to correct the mistakes I have made. In fact, I just updated roughly 15 profiles today, with... well another large lot to go through - but I assure you I am working through them and hope to have them corrected by Friday 15 March 2019. If you find a title you think is my profile, I encourage you to message me and say "hey jacka***, I think you screwed this one up, can you take a look?" If it is mine and I missed it in my mass correction, I will fix it. If it is someone else's and I have the discs, I commit to updating the disc counts and IDs if possible.

For the record, I don't really care about the points at all. They are superfluous to the way in which I use the software. I only use the Collection Management piece and the personal title parts, none of the ripping or viewing, etc. I don't even pay attention to them.

I also admit to getting the aspect ratio wrong on some titles. 16x9 to me is 1.85:1. From now I will watch this when inputting a title and will either put the proper ratio in OR I won't put a ratio in if I can't get the information as to what the title actually is.

As for the cast and crew, I use the IMDB import option on many of my titles as I was lead to believe that was what was supposed to happen. I will stop importing cast and crew this way as well and let others with more time and attention to detail fill those in as they see fit. I didn't do that to receive points or credit either, I did it simply because I believed this was accepted practice.

kiryuinsatsuki
Posted: Saturday, March 09, 2019 4:31:36 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (17616)
stefaand wrote:
In the past, not sure if that's still the case, in the Windows version where an IMDb ID was known one could import all actors and staff with a button. Not that is for me the ideal situation. I buy a lot of Anime releases, and I always only add the actors for the audio languages available on the title, for instance Sentai has a lot of releases which are sub only, so here I don't add the English voice actors. Same goes for the few French releases I have they indeed only contain Japanese and French audio tracks so I don't add the English voice actors neither here although there might be a dub available for the series.

One minor thing.

If Sentai has a title and an English dub exists for the title, most likely Sentai created the dub and it is on the release.

I pre order all of my Anime for 90% of what I buy. I cannot think of a single situation where I preordered a Sentai release that is subbed only and I incorrectly imported an English crew for it for the voice acting side. I CAN see how someone could purchase a newer release with a dub and import from IMDB with the correct information for the sub/dub. I can see how someone could buy the older subbed only release when the newer release is coming with a dub and creating a new profile for the OLD release that now has the English information from IMDB.

Guess what I am saying is, I don't think I've made the cast/crew mistake even with the IMDB imports as generally I can't import a Sentai release that is subbed only with an English crew that doesn't exist at the time.
kiryuinsatsuki
Posted: Sunday, March 10, 2019 2:15:15 PM

OK, I beat my time estimate for completing this.

I went through all of my profiles and logged all the ones I believe I had messed up. I pulled all the releases from the shelf and updated all of them.

I admit I may have missed some but I went through the profiles 3 times and checked my sheet each time for each release. Almost positive I got them all.

If you run into one you think I built, feel free to message me and I will fix it so no one else has to.

Again, sorry for the trouble.