Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Database is in 'RECOVER_PENDING' state. Options · View
awesmdiver
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2019 9:11:50 PM
Groups: Member

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (3024)
I used to run MyMovies in a VM and never had any issues. However, haven't used app for a while. Decided to bring it back online and did a clean install in a VM. The app runs fine until I shut down the VM. Every single time I shut the VM down, the DB goes into 'RECOVERY_PENDING' and never recovers.

Not sure if SQL2014 can't handle latest versions of Hyper-V or not. That said, is an upgrade to 2017 a possibility?

I've enclosed the log.

File Attachment(s):
log.zip (1,374kb) downloaded 4 time(s).

vholman
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2019 10:39:05 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (41)
Hello,

Yesterday I backed up my movie library. Then restored a different library to generate a report. Now I'm having difficulty in restoring my original database.
When I launch MY Movies, I get this message
"The database is in recovery_Pending state"

I have waited and rebooted several times.

Has anyone responded to your request for help or have you solved this on your own?

Can you help me?

Vance
awesmdiver
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2019 5:20:44 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (3024)
Nope, have never been able to fix the DB. Only option is to remove MM and SQL and reinstall completely and restore as new DB.

This happens even when I gracefully shutdown the VM or basically anytime the OS is shutdown.
michael1
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2019 6:01:48 AM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (2538)
I had a similar issue some weeks ago and got the same error message "The database is in recovery_Pending state". Restoring the database or un- and re-install MM is not enough.
You have to uninstall MM by using the cleanup tool (search this forum) because this will uninstall the SQL server. If not, uninstall SQL server manually, of course only the relevant MM service if you use it for others as well.

Afterwards install MM connect to you DB and it should work.

I had to do this several times during the last years and it alwas worked.
I never did this with a VM though...

Good luck!

HTPC connected to TV incl. HDD with stored movies
Win7 x64 Media Center incl. latest updates - MyMovies 5.25 PR1, PowerDVD 15
Collection: HDD 600+, Blu-Ray Discs 200+
MyMovies3 App for iOS
awesmdiver
Posted: Saturday, March 02, 2019 1:03:22 AM

Yep, only a complete removal of MM/SQL with restore from backup to new DB works. Never had this issue in the past using MM in VM, been running that way for a long time. It's only started occurring in the last 6+ months and probably due to newest versions of Windows. Truthfully, SQL 2014 is very outdated and this package really should be upgraded to 2017 now.
scarymonkey
Posted: Saturday, March 02, 2019 4:48:30 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (3164)
Had to do this when I tried upgrading to 5.25 PR1. As I wanted the newer SQL server, I did a full remove (uninstall and clean) after creating a full image and data backup. Everything installed properly but when I tried restoring my database back, it error-ed telling em that it was not able to upgrade the database from a previous version. Luckily for me, another complete remove (although this time I also manually removed any lingering My Movies and MSSQL directories) and the restore worked properly this time.
kiryuinsatsuki
Posted: Sunday, March 03, 2019 2:28:57 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (17616)
I experience this on a physical box install, not a VM. Every time I want to add a title I pray it works. Then... it doesn't.

I'm quite tired of the 60 minute process of completely uninstalling, rebooting, reinstalling, updating SQL server, rebooting, then either restoring by DB from backup or letting it pull from the web service.
kiryuinsatsuki
Posted: Saturday, March 09, 2019 3:48:36 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (17616)
I've been keeping track of what does and doesn't seem to trigger this issue on my desktop.

When it fails this way, it's always when I put the machine to sleep. It doesn't seem to matter if I have opened MyMovies in this session or not. If I put it to sleep, the next time I open MyMovies be it this session or after another shutdown or full reboot, Recovery Pending and the only way to recover is to do a complete rip and reinstall.

Putting my desktop into full shutdown over the last few days, I have not had the Recovery Pending hit me at all.

Disappointing but maybe it has something to do with the service not suspending gracefully.
vholman
Posted: Wednesday, March 13, 2019 6:28:11 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (41)
Can someone tell me, when I backup my movie database to my PC, does the *.mm file contain 100 percent of my data?

Last night I had another event where I was attempting to restore an older version of my movie database. After restoring, the system displays "Recovering Pending".

Many users have experienced this same problem, seems this has to be a bug in this software. It should not be difficult to backup and restore other versions of data. When I first started using My Movies, I could do this, but not anymore.

Can one of the software developers contact me to help resolve this problem.

Thanks,

Vance