Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

No way to import APPEND to one's library? Options · View
mpmchugh
Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2019 10:37:53 PM
Groups: Member

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (0)
Is there really still NO WAY to import a batch of movies to APPEND to ones library, rather than entirely replacing it?

I'd like to import all movies I bought digitally, but there are too many to reasonably add one at a time, especially when one could just import a CSV, but your online import tool has this ominous warning:

Quote:
Important

The import is meant as a method of fully switching your collection to My Movies, allowing you to abandon your current application, which means that the import will clear your collection when the import starts - it currently cannot be used to append data to an existing collection.

Why not?

Why not just have Replace and Append as options? We're talking about a database here, it should not be that difficult.

I've never encountered a catalog app of this sort that had this importing limitation. Yours seems to be the only one that does not allow an append import.

I'm beginning to regret have paid for the Pro version of MyMovies.—itts limitations like this are very frustrating.

Please advise.

-Michael
binnerup
Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2019 10:42:58 PM

Groups: Administration , Windows RT/8 Discussion Group

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (131666)
Hi Michael,

Because the import process is hard on our servers when having many titles, and we do not want users to use the functionality to maintain their collections in another service and uploading files to import again and again.

It is intended to be able to convert to our service once and for all, and leave other services.

Having trouble installing or upgrading to My Movies 5? Click here for troubleshooting.

Having a problem? Searching our Knowledge Base is always the first step.

How can I produce a log file in My Movies for Windows?

How can I fully uninstall My Movies for Windows
mpmchugh
Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2019 10:59:04 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (0)
Well, the problem with that policy is that it does not allow customers to convert from multiple services to yours, which is very limiting, and VERY frustrating.

MyMovies handles things others do not, so it's safe to assume that many potential customers would like to import from multiple sources when adopting MyMovies Pro, but you're just crippling that ability.

If it's such a burden on your servers, perhaps limit the append batch size? or frequency? or get better servers? It just doesn't like valid problem and reason enough for such a crippled import ability.

Why not do imports on the client macOS and Windows apps then? I can't imagine a sync then being any different from the constant syncing the app does already.

It also does not seem like people would do this again and again—perhaps occasionally, but it seems like the policy is crippling the service for a scenario that really does not exist, or at least not at the overwhelming frequency you think. Even if so, there should be ways to limit the option's use while still making it a useful import tool, no?

I did migrate from Delicious Library, but because MyMovies had limited Digital support until the most recent macOS versions, I've maintained both, and now that I've gotten around to importing the digital titles, I cannot without a full replace, which is a bit maddening.

Since I have fully maintained my DL library as well, I could do a replace, but I also spent time tweaking what I had in MyMovies, and I'll have to redo all that work.

Again, the policy does not seem to make sense, and is a bit customer un-friendly in its inflexibility.
binnerup
Posted: Monday, August 19, 2019 9:52:35 AM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (131666)
You have a special situation here, because you have not converted in full, but have maintained your prior application.

As already mentioned, this is not the intension of the functionality, and it is not going to be different, sorry.

Having trouble installing or upgrading to My Movies 5? Click here for troubleshooting.

mpmchugh
Posted: Monday, August 19, 2019 10:16:02 AM

Well, I've assumed at this point I'll have to start over, or just abandon it. I continue to evaluate other options as well.

At least I still have my DL current so I have options, others might not.

I still think the intension of the feature is flawed—a cataloging app should have better import options that aren't so limited to a one time transition.

Hopefully it'll be reevaluated it in the future, and improved.
binnerup
Posted: Monday, August 19, 2019 5:17:30 PM

If you look at almost all competitor apps, they do not have imports, and many others do not even have exports.

We have provided this option, giving users who wants to transfer from other services an option to do this, which many are happy with.

As mentioned, your situation is special, because you want to maintain both libraries, which was not the point of creating this option.

You will have to accept that this is what we are providing this for - we are not providing it for the usage scenario you want to use it for.

Perhaps you should ask if you can import your My Movies collection into Delicious Library? We do provide several export options.

This functionality is only going to be changed to support better importing and more apps - it will not be changed to be an append option, sorry.

mpmchugh
Posted: Tuesday, August 20, 2019 2:19:30 AM

Actually, Delicious Library has always provided full or partial CSV imports and exports of any amount of ones Library. That's what I was comparing it too.

Movie Collector (collectorz.com) also allows partial csv imports, so competitors not having imports is not my experience.

My goal was never to maintain both forever. My goal was to transition to MyMovies, but as I mentioned, when I initially migrated my collection MyMovies v1 it did not have robust Digital title support. It's since improved, and I was surprised to find that partial imports were not available, as my experience with others was that they did have that ability.

I was just suggesting that MyMovies could stand to have better import options, so users didn't have to do it all at once. That's all.