Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

poster.jpg files Options · View
ablack42
Posted: Friday, March 11, 2016 10:42:07 PM
Groups: Member

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (2930)
I've scoured the forums and haven't found a good answer to what I'm looking for.

I use Kodi as my front end client and would like to present the movie poster files instead of the front covers.

I can use the scraper from within Kodi and get the poster files, in some cases multiple posters, but I haven't figured out a way to download them with the client software to store them on my NAS. Am I missing something somewhere?
rago
Posted: Saturday, March 12, 2016 10:46:09 AM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (12774)
ablack42 wrote:
I've scoured the forums and haven't found a good answer to what I'm looking for.

I use Kodi as my front end client and would like to present the movie poster files instead of the front covers.

I can use the scraper from within Kodi and get the poster files, in some cases multiple posters, but I haven't figured out a way to download them with the client software to store them on my NAS. Am I missing something somewhere?

I have my folders ordered as
Y:\_TVSerien\_English\Body of Proof\
Y:\_TVSerien\_English\Body of Proof\Season 1
Y:\_TVSerien\_English\Body of Proof\Season 2
Y:\_TVSerien\_English\Body of Proof\Season 3

I then put the poster names as folder.jpg into Y:\_TVSerien\_English\Body of Proof\
I also put the Series covers as folder.jpg in the respective Season folders.

Since I mostly use the files feature on KODI to navigate to the episodes, I get the overview with the folder.jpg=poster
See attached PC screenshot

Works for both PC version of KODI as well as RaspBerry Pi

PS: Reading your post again, I think I got the basic question wrong. New attempt to answer: I use Google to get the posters! You usually can also find good ones on TheTVDB.com

File Attachment(s):
kodi.jpg (299kb) downloaded 15 time(s).

W10HP/64b (PC+Laptop) /w CM 5.24
WHS: Synology DS918+; 4x8TB
MyMoviesPro for Android
RaspPi 3 with OpenElec/Kodi @ TV
binnerup
Posted: Saturday, March 12, 2016 4:05:10 PM

Groups: Administration , Windows RT/8 Discussion Group

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (131626)
If you are using disc title profiles in My Movies, it will store the disc covers, where, if you are using the movie profile type, it will store the movie theatre poster.

There is not currently a setting to let it store the theatre poster for disc titles.

Having trouble installing or upgrading to My Movies 5? Click here for troubleshooting.

Having a problem? Searching our Knowledge Base is always the first step.

How can I produce a log file in My Movies for Windows?

How can I fully uninstall My Movies for Windows
thrang
Posted: Saturday, February 10, 2018 10:04:13 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (2509)
binnerup wrote:
If you are using disc title profiles in My Movies, it will store the disc covers, where, if you are using the movie profile type, it will store the movie theatre poster.

There is not currently a setting to let it store the theatre poster for disc titles.

Little confused here - is there a way where MyMovies can create a poster file for Kodi? <moviename>-poster.jpg?

I have Kodi meta data enabled, but this file is not created, so all the posters in Kodi are just still frames from the movie. Can this accomplished?
binnerup
Posted: Saturday, February 10, 2018 11:41:27 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (131626)
thrang
Posted: Saturday, February 10, 2018 11:45:51 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (2509)
binnerup wrote:
Which profile type are you using? Disc titles or movie profiles?

I dont know what that means. I add titles, pick a location, and that's it.

And I can't get MyMovies to create .nfo files even after cleaning and updating... well it does for .iso, but not bdmv or mkv
binnerup
Posted: Sunday, February 11, 2018 3:17:29 PM

thrang
Posted: Sunday, February 11, 2018 5:06:58 PM

binnerup wrote:
Create a screenshot of the title in CM please then...

binnerup
Posted: Monday, February 12, 2018 7:58:03 AM

wcndave
Posted: Thursday, February 15, 2018 7:40:03 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (2824)
Hi, just to focus on one thing at a time, which happens to be something I am also stuck with.

Moving away from proprietary Dune, to Kodi now, and would like to continue to use MyMovies as the collection manager.

When enabling the Kodi meta-data setting, it creates an nfo file, and also a jpeg with the format <movie title>.jpg

However, what Kodi actually needs are:

folder.jpg
poster.jpg
fanart.jpg

I know I can get folder from another setting, however the poster and fanart are missing.

This is for one film per folder storage, otherwise it's <movie title>-poster.jpg etc...

If it had the option to choose movie poster, or media cover, as the output file, all the better, however at the moment you don't get any files, bar the nfo file, so it just doesn't work :-(

I'm a little surprised this wasn't picked up before, unless I am doing something really wrong!

Thanks

Dave
andycob
Posted: Thursday, February 15, 2018 9:39:58 PM

Groups: Administration , Member, Moderator

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (133418)
wcndave it would have been better if you started your own thread as you are rather hijacking the thread for a completely different issue.

Your issue with movie title.jpg or folder.jpg is almost certainly from incorrectly using the online file option when you need to be using the online folder option with each movie in it's own folder.

The store nfo for Kodi meta data option only generates the nfo, nothing else the image storage is based on the relevant meta data storage settings for those.

So the store front cover as folder.jpg option and the backdrop storage quality option which by default will be fanart.jpg also must be selected.

I don't think unless I have missed something you can get a poster.jpg, the folder jpg will be the front cover for a disc title and for a movie profile the folder.jpg will be the poster.
rago
Posted: Thursday, February 15, 2018 10:14:04 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (12774)
andycob wrote:
I don't think unless I have missed something you can get a poster.jpg, the folder jpg will be the front cover for a disc title and for a movie profile the folder.jpg will be the poster.

If Kodi detects the poster.jpg, it will use that at least with the actual standard skin (Kodi 17.x / Estuary).
When there is only a folder.jpg, it will be displayed with a black section on the lower part, whereas the poster.jpg ist displayed in full (in my case - not knowing if thats universal) after I updated the movie info in Kodi (on RaspPi) manually using local info via an .nfo file not created by CM.

I am however partly manually reverting that by replacing the poster with a renamed folder,jpg - my RaspPi shows stress keeping its file cache up. That results in black rectangles where the poster should beAnd I only have "just" ~350 movies on that drive. ;-)

Problem might be, that the poster files I'm getting are rather large, whereas I manually keep my folder.jpg at 400px height, which limits file size and is quite good enough for my purposes. One has to keep in mind that the RaspPi has its limitations when it comes to internal storagae aka RAM (or on the SDCard, which ain't the fastest medium around)

MyMoviesPro for Android
wcndave
Posted: Saturday, February 17, 2018 12:12:41 AM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (2824)
andycob wrote:
wcndave it would have been better if you started your own thread as you are rather hijacking the thread for a completely different issue.

Sorry, thought I was on topic Embarassed

andycob wrote:

Your issue with movie title.jpg or folder.jpg is almost certainly from incorrectly using the online file option when you need to be using the online folder option with each movie in it's own folder.

I do use the folder option, not file option.

andycob wrote:

The store nfo for Kodi meta data option only generates the nfo, nothing else the image storage is based on the relevant meta data storage settings for those.

So the store front cover as folder.jpg option and the backdrop storage quality option which by default will be fanart.jpg also must be selected.

I think that's the problem. Kodi doesn't recognise folder.jpg, it's looking for poster.jpg.

Therefore when exporting Kodi from MM, I get the data fine, however the images are not found, and Kodi goes scraping off the interwebs, when I've already used MM to manage and curate my collection... Happy to start a new thread if you prefer?
rago
Posted: Sunday, February 18, 2018 6:39:13 PM

You might wanna check the scraper setting of Kodi for that storage location. If you have the .nfo present, it should be set to "local information"

MyMoviesPro for Android
wcndave
Posted: Tuesday, August 20, 2019 8:25:24 PM

Sorry, it's been 18 months! I didn't get notified of reply, and have been unable to revisit this project, however I am back on it now, and was searching, and found my own posts!

FWIW, I never understood this: "Which profile type are you using? Disc titles or movie profiles?"

So, what I do see about the Kodi export from MM, is that it is creating the following:

title.jpg (ignored by kodi)
title.nfo (used for data)
fanart.jpg (used for fanart)

then 3 mymovies files.

However, there's no poster, which means neither the disc title, nor poster, which may have been carefully selected for hundreds of movies, are used by Kodi.

So, I'm using ember to manage the data, however I really don't want to use two, and I've invested a fair amount into MM, any chance the "export to kodi" could create the poster, and that we can choose if it's disc title or poster? Please?
wcndave
Posted: Tuesday, August 20, 2019 8:30:07 PM

Wait, I'm wrong, it's creating a .info file, NOT nfo, which kodi may have been able to use? It seems to depend how many times I click save meta data, and whether I am currently looking at the disc, or the movie. Gets more complex :-(
binnerup
Posted: Wednesday, August 21, 2019 9:41:07 AM

First of all, please upgrade to the latest pre release to ensure you are on latest code.

Then:

- If you click the "Save meta-data" button in the toolbar in Collection Management, you get the easiest way of ensuring the process is not dependant on when it occurs in the background, ect.
- It is important for me to know if you use disc title profiles, movie profiles or tv series profiles.
- It is important for me to know if you use online (folder) or online (file) when working with disc titles and in general how your media is stored.
- You should always try to provide a log file - clear it before clicking the Save meta-data button, and then post it just after you saw files to be saved/updated, will be within a minute when using this button.
- The Kodi meta-data storage handler is a plug-in dll, meaning it has its own log also, stored in the log dir - you can open this from the help, debug menu in Collection Management, and then it is in that dir - also remember to clear this before reproducing the issue.

So, provide as much as you can on logs, screenshots, and how you would expect the files to be stored.

Having provided these things, I will take a look.

Having trouble installing or upgrading to My Movies 5? Click here for troubleshooting.

wcndave
Posted: Wednesday, August 21, 2019 11:56:48 AM

binnerup wrote:
First of all, please upgrade to the latest pre release to ensure you are on latest code.

I was on latest release version 5.24, however now updated to 5.25 PR2

binnerup wrote:
- If you click the "Save meta-data" button in the toolbar in Collection Management, you get the easiest way of ensuring the process is not dependant on when it occurs in the background, ect.

Yup

binnerup wrote:
- It is important for me to know if you use disc title profiles, movie profiles or tv series profiles.

I don't know what this means. I can't see anywhere in documentation, and in 10+ years using, never heard of this concept.
Unless, wait, do you mean the "type" when you do add?

If so, 95% are titles, 4% are tv, and 1% are movies (where I had some random VHS off TV for example).

However, here I am just dealing with titles for the moment....

binnerup wrote:
- It is important for me to know if you use online (folder) or online (file) when working with disc titles and in general how your media is stored.

So, I use a folder for each title. Where there is one disc, or only one disc that I copy, it's an online folder.
Where there's multiple discs / bonus discs that I do copy, I may switch to file method. It wasn't really clear what the consequences would be at the time, however I can change them if it helps.

You can see examples in the screenshots attached.

binnerup wrote:
- You should always try to provide a log file - clear it before clicking the Save meta-data button, and then post it just after you saw files to be saved/updated, will be within a minute when using this button.

Attached
binnerup wrote:
- The Kodi meta-data storage handler is a plug-in dll, meaning it has its own log also, stored in the log dir - you can open this from the help, debug menu in Collection Management, and then it is in that dir - also remember to clear this before reproducing the issue.

Attached
binnerup wrote:
So, provide as much as you can on logs, screenshots, and how you would expect the files to be stored.
Having provided these things, I will take a look.

So, looking at the example in the screenshot attached, I did a save meta of Dead Poets Society

it created:

Dead Poets Society.jpg
Dead Poets Society.nfo

Kodi doesn't use the image

What Kodi wants is

Dead Poets Society-poster.jpg, or just poster.jpg

Now, ideally, Kodi also wants fanart too, however as the majority of titles don't have movies against them, there's little fanart produced, however that's about the data, not about the processing.
At least the fanart.jpg images that MM produces are used by Kodi.

(I found that ember was moving nfo files to .info files and creating a new .nfo file, so that explained that part.)

It's just that the kodi export is not producing the correct naming convention for cover images.
Which I think is what I described the original problem as, quite straightforward, and hence didn't see the need for logs, however here you are!

File Attachment(s):
log.txt (59kb) downloaded 1 time(s).
MetaData.XBMC.log (5kb) downloaded 2 time(s).
2019-08-21_11-25-14.png (723kb) downloaded 3 time(s).
2019-08-21_11-40-37.png (763kb) downloaded 3 time(s).

binnerup
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2019 12:52:57 PM

Please try this one.

Place here: C:\ProgramData\My Movies\FileStorage\User Customization\MetaData Storage Handlers

You must stop "My Movies General Service" and exit Collection Management to replace - remember to start service again after.

File Attachment(s):
XBMC.zip (51kb) downloaded 1 time(s).

binnerup
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2019 12:55:15 PM

Btw - there should be movie profiles attached to most disc titles - titles that does not, check that they have an IMDB id assigned.

I can see plusses for almost all titles in your title list - those are likely all having attached movie profiles.