Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Monitoring - Square Brackets on Folders or Files? Options · View
wadeal
Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2019 12:11:14 AM
Groups: Member

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (2587)
I have done a huge clean up clearing my database and reorganizing my media, spread across 10 drives at this point a bit of a headache. I use the Monitor feature in MyMovies and though I cannot find info definite on movies for TV series it is stated to put unrequired info in square brackets in the folder name. I'd already been doing this mostly for my movies so just had a few hundred to fix up which I have done. But on turning back on the monitor feature with Strict now enabled the majority of movies are showing as the file name as their title and not matching to a title in the online DB.

The folders/files have all the extra rubbish from being downloaded see "Movie Title.2016.2160p.BluRay.REMUX.HEVC.DTS-HD.MA.5.1-FGT.mkv"

Are square brackets required on the movie names themselves for the monitor function to work properly? What do others do to handle this? Just strip the extra crap off the title?
andycob
Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2019 2:01:04 AM

Groups: Administration , Member, Moderator

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (133418)
The square brackets are simply used to exclude something from the title matching.

So your folder names should follow something like "MovieName [anything else].mediatype" whatever the media file extension may be mpg, mkv etc.

So the MovieName would be the only part used for matching purposes by monitoring or import. If I remember correctly if you have a remake or something where multiple films share the same title you can put the year in normal brackets (year) after the title and I think it can use the year automatically to differentiate between multiple identical title matches.

So to use your example "Movie Title.2016.2160p.BluRay.REMUX.HEVC.DTS-HD.MA.5.1-FGT.mkv" you would want to change that to "Movie Title (2016) [2160p.BluRay.REMUX.HEVC.DTS-HD.MA.5.1-FGT].mkv" for optimum matching.
wadeal
Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2019 2:28:34 AM
Groups: Member

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (2587)
Thanks, didn't quote answer I guess simply I'm asking in the case of movie files (not folders like Blu Ray folders) is it the file name or the folder name MyMovies searches the DB based on? Or both even in some way?

I guess seeing as the folder names already have the info on format and such I could just remove all this info on the file names themselves.. Again if anyone has any input on how they handle it? Also anyone know a quicker way to edit/clear the info quickly on the files? Bulk file renamer and rename all the "bits" to blank like 2160p to blank, REMUX to blank etc?

Also - Fullstops in names/folder names? It seems on Strict it is not finding any title where fullstops are used instead of spaces. Removing spaces, clearing DB, reenabling monitor for a folder shows this for me. But if I search the movie with the fullstops in the title still it finds straight away...? Is this "as intended" or something that needs to be suggested to change/fix? For now easy I guess to clear all fullstops out of folders, again though need to know if for movie files it uses the folder name or file name.
andycob
Posted: Wednesday, September 11, 2019 12:54:46 AM

Groups: Administration , Member, Moderator

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (133418)
Whether the folder name or filename is used will depend on the option selected. If you are using online file and have all your movie files in a single folder then the file name will be used. You really want to use online folder and folders with each item in its own folder in all cases. While My Movies can work with the files it is capable of storing art/metadata etc. for a lot of platforms and many of those require each item to be in its own folder so using the file option limits some functionality. If you use the folder option with each item in its own folder then I don't think how the files are named will matter so long as the folder names follow the expected format.