Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Same Barcode, different Disc-IDs / Alternative Disc-IDs Options · View
zaurzaurim
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2019 1:16:09 AM
Groups: Member

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (1831)
My Movies Collection Manager 5.25 Pre Release 2 (Just did a repair installation to make sure that there is no problem with my installation), Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit (German), up-to-date, AnyDVD* deactivated

Barcode: 7321921284113, Title: Troja (Troy), 2-Disc Edition

When I put the original DVD into the drive, MyMovie correctly identifies it as being 'Troja' and asks me, whether I want to add the title to the database. (cf. screenshot 1). I knew, the title was already in the database, but clicked 'yes' anyhow. So the title was added a second time without a warning. (cf. screenshot 2). Obviously the title profile is identical, so I checked where any difference may lie and I saw, that my disc ID is different from the ID in the database. (Same barcode!). In order for you to see the difference of IDs (cf. screenshot 3), I added my disc ID as the B-side of the DVD (there is no B-side, so I deleted that afterwards.)

Now my questions:

1. Why is the same title added a second time without a warning? Other titles I wanted to add a second time by entering a barcode manually have not been added with a duplication warning.
2. Why do I get different disc IDs? Different DVD releases or a local problem with my computer installation? (AnyDVD* is deactivated)

I had the same phenomenon with different disc IDs yesterday with another title (Die Stunde des Lichts, 4009750296172). I made an error report and your support told me, they added my ID as 'alternative disc ID'. I tried to resync my database with the server, but it told me, my data was already up to date. So I entered my disc-ID and added the chapter data to the profile.
After contributing I was unsure whether this was the right action: maybe I overwrote the old disc-ID with mine?

Questions:

3. Where can I see that an 'alternative disc ID' is in the profile? I only see one ID per profile.
4. How do I have to handle 'alternative disc IDs?

As a reference I copy the support mail into this thread.
Thanks for any input.
Zaurzaurim

Gesendet: Dienstag, 03. September 2019 um 15:33 Uhr
Von: "My Movies Support (Alvan Cruz)"
Cc: "My Movies Support"
Betreff: Incorrect Report Handled
Hello Zaurzaurim,

Your incorrect report of the title 'Die Stunde des Lichts', with barcode '4009750296172' for country 'Germany' has been handled by a moderator
The moderator wrote the following message to you:

Disc id 882A9114-569A0117 is added as an alternative disc id.

The message you typed in your report was:

My original disk gives an other disk ID:
id=882A9114-569A0117">882A9114-569A0117
I made shure, AnyDVD* is turned off. How to proceed? I could add all the chapter names if Disk ID problem is solved.
Best regards
Zaurzaurim

Thank you for your report that helps keep the quality of the My Movies Webservice high, you have received 0 contribution points for your help.
Regards,
My Movies Webservice

File Attachment(s):
screenshot2.png (657kb) downloaded 3 time(s).
screenshot3.png (653kb) downloaded 2 time(s).

zaurzaurim attached the following image(s):
screenshot1.png

* Installing and/or using AnyDVD is illegal in some countries. Users are themselves responsible for complying with local law when installing and using AnyDVD.

binnerup
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2019 8:33:02 AM

Groups: Administration , Windows RT/8 Discussion Group

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (131626)
Hi,

1) The title was most likely a different release of the same title - technically the exact same title can only exist once in the library. Notice that it can identify the title based on a different calculated structure id also, which is something you cannot see, but where your disc structure matched the title it found, without it matching the disc id.

2) There is based on some reports a problem with a driver update on some Windows 10 installations, causing it to read different disc ids - we are not certain if it is something Microsoft are fixing, or what the status is on it, or why it occurs - fact is that disc ids read with Windows 10 can differ. This is naturally a big problem, but all we can do for now is add the disc id as a lookup id, meaning a second internal id in our service - therefore you should report it when you get a different id, because it can also be that the original is incorrect - we have some tools to investigate some of it.

3) You cannot see the alternative ids.

4) You report when you have a different id than the profile.

Having trouble installing or upgrading to My Movies 5? Click here for troubleshooting.

Having a problem? Searching our Knowledge Base is always the first step.

How can I produce a log file in My Movies for Windows?

How can I fully uninstall My Movies for Windows
binnerup
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2019 8:34:13 AM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (131626)
binnerup
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2019 8:38:58 AM

Overall, a specific driver in a Windows 10 install causes reading of different disc ids.

Reading while AnyDVD* is running actually gives the correct disc id, and this is likely why we have not seen more to it, as MANY My Movies users use AnyDVD*.

Having trouble installing or upgrading to My Movies 5? Click here for troubleshooting.

* Installing and/or using AnyDVD is illegal in some countries. Users are themselves responsible for complying with local law when installing and using AnyDVD.

zaurzaurim
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2019 6:09:51 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (1831)
Thanks, binnerup, for all the helpful information.

So I checked the forum discussion on invelos.com you indicated and I am going to summarize the content for the readers of the MyMovies-Forum:

Starting with Windows 10 update 1809 (i.e. also in the current update 1903 Build 18362) the cdrom.sys driver of windows delivers different disc-IDs than the cdrom.sys drivers of earlier versions.

cdrom.sys versions up to 10.0.17134.137 are delivering the 'old'/'correct' disc-IDs.
Later cdrom.sys versions like 10.0.17763.1 and 10.0.18362.1 are delivering the 'new'/'wrong' disc-IDs.

This is true as long as AnyDVD* is not running. With AnyDVD* running, also with the new cdrom.sys drivers, the 'old'/'correct' disc IDs are created.

For the Invelos-Software the problem of 'new'/'wrong' disc-IDs is only happening for DVDs, not for BDs. I checked the behavior of MyMovies with some Blurays and it seems to be the same: BD-IDs are delivered correctly ('old'/'correct' disc-IDs) whether or not AnyDVD* is running and also on the new cdrom.sys driver (currently 10.0.18362.1).

I also checked the redfox website for the release history of AnyDVD*. (For your reference I extracted all info concerning handling of disc-IDs: see the end of this post). According to that, Redfox AnyDVD* should after version 6.4.5.5 (2008/07/16) deliver the correct disc-ID for 32bit and 64bit applications.

My conclusions:

- According to that, I think you should correct the suggestion I read somewhere in the MyMovies documentation, that we would have to read disc-IDs with AnyDVD* disabled. This would now only be true for AnyDVD* versions prior to 6.4.5.5. For all MyMovies-users with later versions of AnyDVD* running, they definitely should NOT turn off AnyDVD*, but make sure it runs…

- In my view it would be crucial for the MyMovies-database that disc-IDs are unique and reliable. If now with the new Windows cdrom.sys-drivers the disc-IDs are calculated in another way than before – with different results - you have a general problem with reliability and you will have to enter endless 'alternative disc-IDs' for every title profile in the database

- Is there a possibility of converting 'old' to 'new' disc-IDs (or vice versa)? If it helped, I could provide a few dozen samples of 'new' disc-IDs for you to investigate. Maybe even the developers of AnyDVD* could help here, because they obviously know how to extract the 'right' disc-ID from the disc without being bothered by Windows cdrom.sys…

My remaining question:

>4. How do I have to handle 'alternative disc IDs?
>> 4) You report when you have a different id than the profile.

OK, and what will I do after I received the message that the ID has been registered as an 'alternative disc-ID? Should/could I read in the 'new' ID into the profile and contribute it (without deleting the existing 'old'/'correct' disc-ID)?

Best regards
Zaurzaurim

Redfox AnyDVD* Release-History (https://www.redfox.bz/download/changes_anydvd*.txt)

7.1.1.0 2012 11 12
- New: Added registry key with useful information for 3rd party tools.
(HKLM\Software\SlySoft\AnyDVD*\Status\Discs\drive letter)
Interesting fields are the DVD Disc ID, and the frame rate of the main movie.

6.8.0.0 2011 05 03
- New (DVD): Creates Disc ID .xml file

6.5.1.5 2009 01 15
The DISCID.DAT file is modified, so previously downloaded web
content will not interfere if AACS is removed.

6.4.5.5 2008 07 16
- New (DVD): Added hooking of the IDvdInfo2::GetDiscID interface for
64-bit applications which use DiscIDs on 64-bit operating systems, e.g.
Windows Vista-64 Media Center, Windows 64-bit Media Player

6.3.1.5 2008 02 05
- Change: Hooking of the IDvdInfo2::GetDiscID interface caused a false
security alert in some anti spyware tools

6.3.1.2 2008 01 23
- New (DVD): Added hooking of the IDvdInfo2::GetDiscID interface. All 32-bit
applications which use DiscIDs will retrieve the correct DiscID, even if
AnyDVD* is running (e.g., Windows MCE 2005, Windows Media Player, Invelos
DVD Profiler, MyMovies, etc.)
Note: This feature might not work correctly with X-Protect or other heavily
corrupted discs. Blame the manufacturer of the disc....
This feature is currently only supported for 32-bit applications.

binnerup
Posted: Thursday, September 05, 2019 8:21:44 AM

The disc ids are technically based on something called CRC64 - retrieved with a call in Windows, and calculated by Windows.

We worked with the guys at AnyDVD* at the time to ensure AnyDVD* gave us the right disc id - first by it writing it in the registry, and later by making some hooks so that it can deliver it correct directly.

The id applies to DVDs only, as Windows does not have a way of getting ids for Blu-rays, and we here use a different technique - DVD Profiler uses a different one on Blu-rays than we do - what theirs is based on, I do not know, but it looks more like a CRC64 id, where ours looks very different. As mentioned, second to this id we have a chapter based id which can be used to also identify structures copied to storage, but it is not something the user can see.

The reason the documentation says that AnyDVD* should not be running is in parts old documentation, but also the fact that many users run other decrypters, which alters the disc id, and it is therefore easier to tell a story that these have to be disabled - we are then not relying on anything else on Windows.

Notice that the issue here with Windows is a relatively new thing, and it is new information for us also - there have in all years until this never been an issue with Windows.

I agree that this is quite crucial that disc id reading is correct, but we do not know why Windows reads these disc ids wrong, nor do we know how it calculates them, so we cannot in any way convert from one to the other or similar.

When disc ids are read on a client and used to search for a title, the best thing is likely that we include information about the driver version, so that we in our service can track if the disc id is created with the new or old drivers.

You should still use the report incorrect data function if you have a different disc id than on the profile - naturally only if you have read it though AnyDVD* if you have this driver issue.

But overall, we cannot do much else than hope Microsoft fixes this issue.

zaurzaurim
Posted: Thursday, September 05, 2019 4:31:21 PM

Thanks again for giving us some technical background of the problem and for outlining possible workarounds.

May I repeat my practical question on what to do after having reported a 'new' ID:

>> OK, and what will I do after I received the message that the ID has been registered as an 'alternative disc-ID?
>> Should/could I read in the 'new' ID into the profile and contribute it (without deleting the existing 'old'/'correct' disc-ID)?

And a new question (just to show everybody the correct way on how to handle that problem practically for the time beeing)

I guess the second ID is stored in a database field (not visible to users). Will MyMovies recognize my discs therefore with the 'old' and the 'new' ID?
binnerup
Posted: Friday, September 06, 2019 8:03:29 AM

You can use a temporary profile to read the new disc id, but knowing it is wrong, you should never contribute it.

You can then report that you have this secondary id to our support using the report incorrect data function, and we can add as alternative, so that the other one becomes primary.

If a profile does not contain a disc id, you should either read from AnyDVD* or not add at all if you cannot.

The software will recognise the discs based on the alternative ids also, yes.

zaurzaurim
Posted: Friday, September 06, 2019 10:46:23 PM

Thanks for claryifying. Now we know how to handle this.
binnerup
Posted: Saturday, September 07, 2019 3:30:33 PM

We have sent out a new pre release of 5.25, which will start to read the driver version of cdrom.sys and report when the disc id is read on this version - this will give us some details to work with hopefully before we decide what next step is.

binnerup
Posted: Saturday, September 07, 2019 3:36:08 PM

binnerup
Posted: Saturday, September 07, 2019 3:59:36 PM

zaurzaurim
Posted: Sunday, September 08, 2019 1:38:31 AM

I did the tests and log files and sent them to you by e-mail to the support address I got a mail from at:

Gesendet: Mittwoch, 04. September 2019 um 14:11 Uhr
Von: "My Movies Support - binnerup
'Title contribution accepted'
binnerup
Posted: Sunday, September 08, 2019 5:41:32 PM

binnerup
Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2019 1:40:12 PM

binnerup
Posted: Wednesday, September 11, 2019 2:26:13 PM

An update to this is that we CAN read the correct disc id from the file system, given that no decrypter software (except AnyDVD*) is running.

I have updated the article information on it:

https://kb.mymovies.dk/KnowledgebaseArticle50099.aspx

The biggest impact this will have is that we will be blocking for disc id contributions from clients prior to 5.25 Pre Release 5, as we cannot know if the disc id was read from an affected Window 10 client.