Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Does MYM supports media files? Options · View
albertok
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2019 2:35:45 PM
Groups: Member

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (0)
Hi there,

i was wondering if MYM supports or not media files.
So if I have many DVD or CD or BR disc which have inside many media files (es. .avi, .mkv or similar) is it possible categorize them with MYM? In other words: can I create a library of media files with MYM?

Thanks for your answers :-)
binnerup
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2019 3:00:38 PM

Groups: Administration , Windows RT/8 Discussion Group

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (149098)
albertok
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2019 3:09:46 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (0)
binnerup wrote:
On which platform are you using our app please?

Thank so much for your answer :-)
Oh sorry... You're right!
I've android app and I also use MYM in my WIN 10 pc :-)
binnerup
Posted: Thursday, September 05, 2019 8:23:40 AM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (149098)
albertok
Posted: Thursday, September 05, 2019 10:03:47 AM

binnerup wrote:
Ok - on the Windows Desktop app, you can import content from folders.

thanks so much...
could you please specify more? :-)
binnerup
Posted: Thursday, September 05, 2019 10:05:21 AM

albertok
Posted: Friday, September 06, 2019 2:51:45 PM

I see... I'll take a look :-)

thank you
albertok
Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2019 10:26:25 AM

I saw...

automatically i tried with a folder with inside variuos files. It said to me that it's necessary 1 file in every folder (!!!)
It found films I havent and downloaded labels absolutely wrong. Cool
binnerup
Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2019 10:29:30 AM

The Mac OS X app requires titles to be in separate folders.

If you are importing disc titles, you will generally get very good matches - if you are importing movie profiles, and have English titles in your folders, you will generally get good matches, but if you have foreign titles, you will often get quite bad matches, because our service does not always have the localised titles.

Try to give examples of your import though a screenshot.

Having trouble installing or upgrading to My Movies 5? Click here for troubleshooting.

Having a problem? Searching our Knowledge Base is always the first step.

How can I produce a log file in My Movies for Windows?

How can I fully uninstall My Movies for Windows
albertok
Posted: Sunday, February 02, 2020 10:32:45 AM

I've many FILES (fims, personal video in various formats and resolution / quality). I need to archive these files to simply find them.

These files are stored in other hard disk, or DVD disk, or bluray disc... there are many of them in different supports.

brother_hood
Posted: Monday, February 03, 2020 9:35:05 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (699)
You should clarify what exactly you are trying to achieve. Initially, My Movies started as an app specifically for collections of disc based media, but it has supported digital video files for several years now. The automatic import feature usually provides good results, just make sure you have the files and folders named correctly. I think it is generally advisable to store movies in separate folders on any playform, whether it be My Movies, Kodi, emby, Plex or whatever. A bunch of movie files in the same directory looks very cluttered, and I'm not sure how good detection results will be (never tried it that way). The folder structure I've had most success with (this is on Windows by the way) is the following:

Digital:

\Movies\Citizen Kane (1941)\Citizen Kane (1941).mkv

Blu-ray and DVD:

\Movies\Citizen Kane (1941)\BDMV
\Movies\Citizen Kane (1941)\VIDEO_TS
\Movies\Citizen Kane (1941)\Citizen Kane (1941).iso

My Movies for Windows is pretty straightforward once you've gotten a little familiar with it.
albertok
Posted: Tuesday, February 04, 2020 10:04:51 AM

brother_hood wrote:
You should clarify what exactly you are trying to achieve. Initially, My Movies started as an app specifically for collections of disc based media, but it has supported digital video files for several years now. The automatic import feature usually provides good results, just make sure you have the files and folders named correctly. I think it is generally advisable to store movies in separate folders on any playform, whether it be My Movies, Kodi, emby, Plex or whatever. A bunch of movie files in the same directory looks very cluttered, and I'm not sure how good detection results will be (never tried it that way). The folder structure I've had most success with (this is on Windows by the way) is the following:

Digital:

\Movies\Citizen Kane (1941)\Citizen Kane (1941).mkv

Blu-ray and DVD:

\Movies\Citizen Kane (1941)\BDMV
\Movies\Citizen Kane (1941)\VIDEO_TS
\Movies\Citizen Kane (1941)\Citizen Kane (1941).iso

My Movies for Windows is pretty straightforward once you've gotten a little familiar with it.

Hi there,

thank you very much for your answer and patience.

Sorry for this, but I think structure you indicated is absolutely "strange"

every films or video must have a directory?
I think nobody have this structure inside their PC...

maybe is simpler something like this:

D:\FILMS\Citizen Kane (1941).mkv
D:\FILMS\Peter Pan (1954).avi
D:\FILMS\film_name (data).mp4

D:\TV SERIES\X-FILES\season 1\ episode 1.avi
D:\TV SERIES\X-FILES\season 1\ episode 2.avi
D:\TV SERIES\X-FILES\season 1\ episode 3.avi
D:\TV SERIES\X-FILES\season 2\ episode 1.avi
D:\TV SERIES\X-FILES\season 2\ episode 2.avi

and so on

or maybe in a blu ray or DVD

E:\Peter Pan (1954).avi
E:\Citizen Kane (1941).mkv
D:\film_name (data).mp4

of course number of files depends from size of each one
mbarnstijn
Posted: Tuesday, February 04, 2020 3:26:39 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (114850)
@albertok, you say you can't understand why anyone would put their media files into folders.

How about this for a reason: all media manager software that I've ever used will put at least one meta-data file and maybe even cover art or poster JPEGs in the folder where the media file is stored. If there are lots media files in a folder, then you will at least double the number of files in that folder.

Think of it this way: your method is like taking all your discs out of their cases and storing them in one big box; the My Movies way keeps the discs in their cases, adds metadata to the cases, and then stores the cases in the same box.

The only difference between your way and the My Movies way is that there's a folder for each media file, which means that you need to go down one more folder level to get to the media file.

We all have our own preferred way of doing things, and this isn't a matter of what's right or wrong. In this case, My Movies strongly recommends the one folder per media file method as a way of organizing the media files and the additional metadata that My Movies generates. My Movies will work much better that way, and some features won't work at all if you don't put media files into separate folders.

It's unfortunate that you don't like how My Movies prefers to see media files. You'll have to decide what you would like to do with this information and whether you will keep trying My Movies or change to something else. As @brother_hood said, most of the major media managers out there like Kodi, emby, Plex all recommend that users store each media file in a separate folder.

Cheers,

--michael
brother_hood
Posted: Tuesday, February 04, 2020 5:17:03 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (699)
One folder per movie is definitely the way to go. Boy, imagine having hundreds of video files in a single folder. The loading times alone, thumbnails and all, would make it a pain in the neck. Plus My Movies works best with disc copies, and if you have VIDEO_TS or BDMV folders you would have to put them in sub-directories anyway.

Your TV Series structure is OK though. I started out putting each episode in its own folder (1x01 etc.), but forgot about it one time and My Movies detected everything correctly anyway with all episodes of a season in the same folder. I can confirm that this structure works flawlessly (Windows again):

\TV Series\Rectify (2013)\Season 1\Rectify S01E01.mkv

When adding the series, I select the directory that contains the season folders and everything works fine.

Please note that My Movies was specifically designed for disc based collections. It works fine with single movie and episode copies, but this was added as a bonus. You'll also lose the best feature of My Movies when going the single file route, which is the accessibility of bonus features. I don't know of any other playback interface that has this. Most of my collection are therefore 1:1 copies, I only add digital downloads or HDTV recordings when there is no Blu-ray available. If the majority of your collection are single movie and episode containers (MKV, AVI etc.), I would advise you to use a different solution, Plex being the most popular right now.

You mentioned that you have some of your collection stored on optical discs. In that case, I believe you should add them as offline in the collection management. I'm not sure if you can add a physical location. All of my copies are stored on a dedicated server.
albertok
Posted: Tuesday, February 04, 2020 5:24:30 PM

mbarnstijn wrote:
@albertok, you say you can't understand why anyone would put their media files into folders.

How about this for a reason: all media manager software that I've ever used will put at least one meta-data file and maybe even cover art or poster JPEGs in the folder where the media file is stored. If there are lots media files in a folder, then you will at least double the number of files in that folder.

Think of it this way: your method is like taking all your discs out of their cases and storing them in one big box; the My Movies way keeps the discs in their cases, adds metadata to the cases, and then stores the cases in the same box.

The only difference between your way and the My Movies way is that there's a folder for each media file, which means that you need to go down one more folder level to get to the media file.

We all have our own preferred way of doing things, and this isn't a matter of what's right or wrong. In this case, My Movies strongly recommends the one folder per media file method as a way of organizing the media files and the additional metadata that My Movies generates. My Movies will work much better that way, and some features won't work at all if you don't put media files into separate folders.

It's unfortunate that you don't like how My Movies prefers to see media files. You'll have to decide what you would like to do with this information and whether you will keep trying My Movies or change to something else. As @brother_hood said, most of the major media managers out there like Kodi, emby, Plex all recommend that users store each media file in a separate folder.

Cheers,

--michael

Thank so much for your answer

So the answer to my question is "NO":-)

I didnt know that this kind of way is quite a "standard". It's a pity because I have many many DVDs and Blurays which dont have one files per folder...so MyMovies for me, to store files (not discs of course) is useless.

It's a pity... :-)
johnnyicemaker
Posted: Tuesday, February 04, 2020 6:26:33 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (61794)
@albertok, sorry this is not the way you want to store files.

I think what @mbarnstijn and @brother_hood are stating is accurate. almost all media server programs use a similar folder format of 1 folder for each movie title to work at their optimum level. I believe the reasoning for this is when people use those programs they often times want to add additional materials related to that movie and folder, such as trailers, movie posters, subtitles, etc. most of those programs read those added files as long as they are named correctly to their particular formatting. MyMovies also falls in line similarly to all those other media programs, with it's own flexibility. You could almost say it is a loose "industry standard".

MyMovies is unique because it uses direct copies of the DVD .iso files, whereas most other programs use a "rip" of the disc in a container such as .mkv or .mp4, etc. But you still would want those files in their own separate folder for each title. The great thing is you can place multiple file formats in the same folder, and each program will use and ignore the file depending on it's file reading capability.

Personally I use MyMovies as a collection manager for disc and media inventory only, and have for over 8 years. I do not use it to play media directly, I use Plex for that, but to each their own.

Hopefully you can find a program that works for you, good luck in your search.
brother_hood
Posted: Tuesday, February 04, 2020 6:41:29 PM

Hey there Johnny,

so many collectors use Plex these days that I'm intrigued by it, but the biggest handicap for me is its inability to play disc structures, and thus no bonus features. I reckon you only need main feature access on your front-end?

For cataloging disc collections, there is definitely no equal to My Movies Collection Management.
johnnyicemaker
Posted: Tuesday, February 04, 2020 7:19:41 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (61794)
Hi @brother_hood

Yep, I determined years ago due to disc space cost limitations at the time to go the route of just ripping the main feature, as Plex does provide some extra features internally/automatically depending on the movie. Keeping an .iso 8 years ago was very expensive for the disc space needed because I have over 1500 DVDs and Blu-rays. Ripping just the feature title limited the amount of space I used. If I want to see the bonus features I just pull out the disc and play it in my player directly. I found that I don't do that very often so why use the disc space for little used material. Now that drives are so much cheaper, that argument is not as valid, but I still don't think I will need access to the bonus features very often. Also with Plex if you really do want the bonus features you can just rip them too and include them in the same folder. It takes more work than just copying the .iso, but then it would only be for specific features that I would want to do this for anyway. And Plex is available on more devices than just about any other media platform.

Technically using MakeMKV to rip a DVD/Blu-ray I personally own does not break the copy protection, so I am not really breaking the copyright laws, just making a digital backup copy for personal use. I realize that opinion can cause an argument among legal eagles, but I am OK with it.

I agree 100% that MyMovies has no equal for cataloging, and why I still use it along with Plex.
albertok
Posted: Wednesday, February 05, 2020 9:43:16 AM

johnnyicemaker wrote:
@albertok, sorry this is not the way you want to store files.

I think what @mbarnstijn and @brother_hood are stating is accurate. almost all media server programs use a similar folder format of 1 folder for each movie title to work at their optimum level. I believe the reasoning for this is when people use those programs they often times want to add additional materials related to that movie and folder, such as trailers, movie posters, subtitles, etc. most of those programs read those added files as long as they are named correctly to their particular formatting. MyMovies also falls in line similarly to all those other media programs, with it's own flexibility. You could almost say it is a loose "industry standard".

MyMovies is unique because it uses direct copies of the DVD .iso files, whereas most other programs use a "rip" of the disc in a container such as .mkv or .mp4, etc. But you still would want those files in their own separate folder for each title. The great thing is you can place multiple file formats in the same folder, and each program will use and ignore the file depending on it's file reading capability.

Personally I use MyMovies as a collection manager for disc and media inventory only, and have for over 8 years. I do not use it to play media directly, I use Plex for that, but to each their own.

Hopefully you can find a program that works for you, good luck in your search.

I see,

This is my first program to catalogue discs... I bought it becaus I have too much discs and sometimes I bought a film twice!
Believe me, I use PC from 1989... I NEVER saw a similar modality to catalogue files.
Yes of course if you have idea to use a program to store media files maybe is better start to store every files in a single directory. But... You must have the idea before you start to collect them.
Actually for me is impossible to change modality...

Maybe could be possible in future develop a plugin (?) which read name of files and analize inside of them and give to you as a list: quality of video with various info like: size, dimension, aspect ratio, audio type, video codec etc etc (something like this exist yet: MediaInfo for .mkv or old Gspo for .avi files).

P.S. sorry for my bad englis;l I hope You understand :-)
johnnyicemaker
Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2020 5:45:54 PM

albertok wrote:
This is my first program to catalogue discs... I bought it becaus I have too much discs and sometimes I bought a film twice!

@albertok I am with you when it comes to cataloging, congratulations on getting the very best program to help you make sure you don't buy films twice. This is exactly why I still use MyMovies today, even though I use another program to watch/stream my videos. With over 1500 DVDs and Blu-rays, there is no way I can remember every disc I own, and since 2012 I have not purchased a duplicate because of the handy MyMovies app on my phone. Before then...well I have about a dozen duplicates. at $20 average per disc cost, that is $240 total, way beyond the purchase price of the app. all I can say is money well spent. I have even purchased it twice for both Apple and Android products that I own.

Please remember that this app was originally developed to catalog physical discs, create an image of them, and play them back through Windows Media Player. And, it is the most convenient app to scan a bar code from each title cover and enter it into your personal database. Over the years the app has been enhanced to include a way to catalog digital files, but there is no set way that people store those files, so there is no set way to write an app to assist in scanning for them. MyMovies can monitor a directory for disc images to add them to the database, as that is the format it uses to playback the movies as a media server. If you don't have your video files in the appropriate format compatible with the app you have to "work around" this by manually adding the titles into your catalog. It may seem like a tedious process to add each video manually, but you would need to do this to scan each barcode too, so the work is still needed regardless of what format are are wanting to add to your collection database.

Not only do people have videos in various formats stored locally, some have videos stored/owned in various on-line services (Google, Apple, VUDU, MoviesAnywhere, etc.). There is no way to scan your Google account to add those movies to the catalog. Google would never allow a third party app access to their system, and nor should they for security reasons. Therefore you would have to add those titles manually to your catalog, same as you would for any local movies not filed or formatted compatible with the program.

This is a movie catalog and media server/playback program, not a video file analysis program. As you even stated there are already programs that do that.