Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

WMC is available Options · View
top-pick
Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2019 6:14:17 PM

Groups: Member

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (6476)
The following files are required, WMC-V8.8.1, which is available from the internet. It works in general and can be installed on Windows 10 (pro?) 1903. The install instructions that come with this program, can generally be ignored, as it installs in the normal way and works. I'n not sure how one is to incorporate TV cards etc. That might be a problem. Otherwise WMC works like a charm. The only setback might be that it needs to be uninstalled and reinstalled when a major Windows 10 update occurs? i.e bi-annual updates.
tiggercat
Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2019 9:48:10 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (0)
top-pick wrote:
The following files are required, WMC-V8.8.1, which is available from the internet. It works in general and can be installed on Windows 10 (pro?) 1903. The install instructions that come with this program, can generally be ignored, as it installs in the normal way and works. I'n not sure how one is to incorporate TV cards etc. That might be a problem. Otherwise WMC works like a charm. The only setback might be that it needs to be uninstalled and reinstalled when a major Windows 10 update occurs? i.e bi-annual updates.

You can avoid all the hassle by getting CMC, Chameleon MediaCenter v2.2. This application was developed by a forum member to do what WMC for Mymovies does. To me it is a much better product than WMC.

It can be found here. https://chamconsoft.com/cmc/index.html
pauven
Posted: Friday, September 20, 2019 4:39:33 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (76)
For those looking to run WMC on Win10, my first suggestion would be "don't". It's not supported by Microsoft, and they seem to go out of their way to break the 3rd party WMC install packs for Win10 with each major Windows update (twice a year). Plus, you'll probably have to manually research and apply several workarounds specific to your hardware, especially if you are looking to use TV tuners. And in many cases, users are completely unable to get tuners working with WMC on Win10. Instead, stick with Win7/8.1, where WMC is supported, and you get the full WMC + My Movies experience as Binnerup intended.

If that didn't deter you, and you still want to run WMC on Win10, then I suggest you use the resources on The Green Button website, where they have a dedicated forum for running WMC on Win10. There you will find that the latest version is WMC 8.8.4, not 8.8.1 that top-pick mentioned, plus lots of helpful guidance and support (you're going to need it, as it's not easy). Here's a link: https://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/viewforum.php?f=97

On the other hand, if all you want from WMC is a GUI for your My Movies collection and/or a WMC style Music Library for Win10, then as tiggercat mentioned Chameleon MediaCenter (CMC) is worth a look. CMC is a standalone replacement for WMC and the My Movies Plugin, and it runs on all versions of Win7/8.1/10. It still uses your My Movies data, and you'll still maintain your movie collection using My Movies Collection Management. And for those that have at least 2500 My Movies Contribution Points, CMC can optionally use the My Movies API, which provides for easier setup and a richer media browsing experience, including TV Series and direct Episode playback. CMC isn't a full replacement for WMC + My Movies Plugin, as there are still a few areas that the WMC solution does better (i.e. Actor/Crew bio's, some detailed media info), but on the other hand CMC provides built-in support for many of the latest players (PowerDVD, DVDFab Player, MPC, JRiver, VLC, Win10 Movies & TV), and is still being actively supported and improved.

Full disclosure - I am the author of CMC. I am a long time user of My Movies which I love dearly, but I also am an avid gamer so I wanted Win10 on my HTPC for the latest support. After waiting far too long for someone else to provide a Win10 solution, and being unable to maintain a working Win10 WMC install, I finally got tired of waiting and decided to code my own solution, and CMC was born.

Paul

MM Browser is now Chameleon MediaCenter v2.2 - Finally for My Movies, a MCE replacement for Windows 10, plus a Music Library!