Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

HandBrake MKV or M4V Options · View
almulder
Posted: Monday, February 14, 2011 1:46:37 AM
Groups: Member

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (2740)
I have been reading lots of things on MKV and M4V but everything I seem to find is old and outdated info. So I am asking for some help.

I have a lot of DVD and som BluRay's and I want to convet them from VOB's to a fomat that takes less space. I only want to have the movie as if I want to watch the special feature I will just grab them movie. 99.9999% i never look at special features.

I have been playing around with HandBreak, since many people recomend it.

I am wanting to find out what you recommend I use. MKV or M4V. I perfer to try and keep the best quality and sound when possible. And what settings do you use in handbreak? Im using ver 0.9.5.

I dont need subtitles or anything special. Just movie and sound.

I plan on using WMC 7 to play the file. I have heard alot of issues with MKV and WMC in the past but dont know if these have been resolved.

Video quality is at the top of the list, next is Audio (5.1 is what I use). Also I would like to be able to keep chapter skip and fast forward when ever possible.

Thanks for your help. And yes I have googles my heart out and now really confused.

Please simplyfy for me. What do you use and what are your settings? How good is quality? What files sizes do you end up with?

I perfer ti keep file size less than 2.5GB per movie.
justinholmes
Posted: Monday, February 14, 2011 4:16:30 AM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (0)
Short version: M4V max out at 4Gb files*, MKV's do not. M4V using H.264 will play on most devices with out needing to be transcoded (Media extenders, PS3, iPhone/iPad), but if you are using WMC 7 this should not be a problem. The 4Gb limit for M4V is what gets me. I wanted the most compatibility for devices, and good picture quality. My HandBreak is set to 4000Mb, 1280x720, and 2.0 audio (this is due to xbox360 limitation to playback 5.1 only in WMV). If I wanted to add 5.1 / DTS audio, or 1920x1080 video I would need a lager file size.

(* M4V/MP4 4Gb limit can be overcome by using 64bit MP4 [Large File Size check box in HandBreak], but it only plays back on Computers or Apple TV 2. So basically the same compatibility as an MKV)
skar
Posted: Monday, February 14, 2011 3:32:48 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (2500)
Isn't going to 2.5GB on a blu-ray just compressing it a bit to much, especially if video quality is paramount?
evernn
Posted: Thursday, December 20, 2012 3:03:02 AM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (0)
M4V file extension used for videos downloaded from the Apple iTunes store; includes TV episodes, full-length movies, and music videos; similar to an .MP4 file, but may be copy-protected using Apple's FairPlay DRM copyright protection. And the problems comes how to convert m4v to mkv format with easy steps?
Bros M4V to MKV Converter is your best choice to convert m4v to mkv, easily and perfectly, it also features this program to edit m4v videos before converting to mkv, add logos, set video effect and so on.
wlee2060
Posted: Friday, December 27, 2019 7:20:57 AM

M4V vs MKV Comparison:
1. M4v is a little more widely used and flexible than MKV;
2. DRM protected M4V files are limited to Apple devices only while MKV files don’t have such restrictions and can work just fine on Windows, Linux, Android, and other platforms;
3. MKV files tend to be larger in size when compared to M4Vs, and this is generally because they offer better image and audio quality.
So, if you want smaller size, you can choose M4V as output format; and if you care much about the quality, your option is definitely MKV.
No matter which format you're going to save it as, Joyoshare Video Converter will be a nice assistance to help you convert DVD to any video format without quality loss at super fast speed. It's easy to use with clear interface. You can give it a try.