Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Reinstall WHS2011 or move to other platforms for MM server? Options · View
drbo
Posted: Tuesday, December 31, 2019 2:39:45 AM
Groups: Member

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (2611)
Dear Brian,

I need some advice Cool

I have been using MM since 2007, and I still keep 2 Win7 machines as HTPCs - for streaming and movies.

My movie collection is stored on a WHS2011 server. But although MM still is working, I need to upgrade the server for varius reasons.

So my question is. Should I reinstall WHS2011 - with all its limitations (it is mainly used for MM and file storage), or should I move on to Windows 10 or Windows Server ... (I have access to 2016 or 2019 Essential and Standard)

What would you recommend? What are the Pros and Cons? What would be best for continuous use of MM ... and the future mitigation from DVD directories and BD.isos to a different container ...

Thanks for a great software! Laughing
bhiga
Posted: Friday, January 03, 2020 7:34:30 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (2536)
I'm running Server 2012 R2 Essentials. I was considering upgrading to Server 2016 Essentials, but as I understand it the licensing model has changed starting with Server 2016, and it's purely based on cores rather than physical CPU packages like it was in Server 2012 and prior (where standard and essential server versions supported up to 2 CPU packages, regardless of cores in each CPU package).

Also, newer Windows Server versions are 64-bit only, and anything running Win8.1 core or newer requires CMPXCHG16b (aka Compare Exchange 128 bit) in case you're running older/niche hardware. The CMPXCHG16b thing prevented me from upgrading my older HTPC client to Windows 8.1

Whatever your other reasons to upgrade OS version probably player larger roles in the decision.
drbo
Posted: Saturday, January 04, 2020 1:22:44 AM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (2611)
Thank you bhiga.

I dont think hardware should be a problem, I have several mobos lying around, among them and "old" server board: https://www.asus.com/no/Commercial-Servers-Workstations/Z8PED18/ with 24GB Ram and two 4c/8t Xeon E5528 processors.

I also dont need to think about the OS licencing, since I have licences to all of them ... Cool

So my question is down to a question of what would work best with MM, and the Movie management and streaming.
dsteinschneider
Posted: Thursday, January 09, 2020 6:25:26 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (2559)
I have installed SQL Server Express on Windows 7,8 and 10 and it runs fine for MyMovies. I retired my WHS2011 years ago and installed SQL, Stablebit DrivePool and Scanner and MyMovies for media storage and organization. Still using W7 WMC though, I like to use those machines for Netflix and other streaming also so starting to look for WMC alternative.
tiggercat
Posted: Saturday, January 11, 2020 8:41:57 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (0)
dsteinschneider wrote:
starting to look for WMC alternative.

There are several options that you can try out. JRiver, Kodi, and plex. I have tried all three but I missed the MyMovies WMC look and feel. I came upon Chameleon MediaCenter which I like because it has the MyMovies WMC look as well as the functionality. It imports the Mymovies metadata using a sync function within Chameleon MediaCenter. You can also use the Mymovies API to import the data if you have 2500 points, or more. The 2500 mymovies points are a requirement of MyMovies for API usage.

I like Chameleon MediaCenter and it is discussed in many threads throughout this forum. You might try searching for CMC, MM Browser, or Chameleon MediaCenter. MM Browser was the original name. The url for CMC is https://chamconsoft.com/cmc/index.html. If you do use Chameleon MediaCenter you can still import new titles that you add using the MyMovies Collection Management app.
pauven
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2020 4:09:35 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (2576)
drbo wrote:

My movie collection is stored on a WHS2011 server. But although MM still is working, I need to upgrade the server for varius reasons.

So my question is. Should I reinstall WHS2011 - with all its limitations (it is mainly used for MM and file storage), or should I move on to Windows 10 or Windows Server ... (I have access to 2016 or 2019 Essential and Standard)

Hopefully Brian will provide an official response. I'd like to know the answer to this as well.

I may be mistaken, but I believe I have read that newer versions of Windows Server are NOT compatible with My Movies. If you really want to run server software, then WHS2011 might be your best bet.

If all you are using the server for is MM, then one of the Windows desktop flavors is more than sufficient (Win7 - Win10), and actually offers some benefits over running on WHS: if I recall correctly, the My Movies API does not run on WHS, only on desktop, so to have access to the API requires both the WHS and a Windows desktop MM install. I mention this because Chameleon MediaCenter (CMC) can use the My Movies API, which dramatically improves the experience especially for TV Series and is highly recommended. So for users wanting to use CMC with the MM API, installing MM on Win7/8/10 is actually simpler than WHS+Win7/8/10. I have a Win10 desktop running as my MM server.

Chameleon MediaCenter (CMC) v3.1 - Finally for My Movies, a MCE replacement for Windows 10, plus a Music Library!
drbo
Posted: Monday, February 17, 2020 6:16:26 PM

Thanks pauven, dsteinschneider and bhiga for your answers.

I was kind of hoping for also a more "official" answer ...

I haven't done anything yet, mostly due to too much to do at work for the moment. But I have discussed the topic with the IT guy at work. They are fairly pragmatic about the issue, pointed out that although we have free access almost everything from Microsoft, I should just go for Win10.

So ... i guess that is the direction I am moving ...