Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Chameleon MediaCenter v3.1 is now available Options · View
pauven
Posted: Saturday, August 04, 2018 10:56:25 PM
Groups: Member

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (2576)
I have just released MM Browser v1.8.2018.0804. This is primarily a bug fix release that addresses a couple cosmetic bugs, plus resolves an issue when forcing a Full Sync through the GUI.

One notable new addition is support for My Movies custom Box Sets.

Now MM Browser will properly display the Box Sets you create in My Movies. This is awesome for me, as it allows me to collapse my 8-movie Harry Potter and 10-movie Start Wars collections down to a single cover each!

Enjoy!
Paul

Chameleon MediaCenter (CMC) v3.1 - Finally for My Movies, a MCE replacement for Windows 10, plus a Music Library!
pauven
Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2018 3:37:05 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (2576)
I just wanted to share that the next version of MM Browser, v1.9, is looking great and should be out this month. Here's a rundown of the most notable new features:

3-row and 4-row Cover Flow options (#1 requested new feature)
More than any other question, for the past 10 months users have continuously emailed me asking how to change the cover rows from 2-rows to 3-rows or more. It always saddened me to have to say it just wasn't possible yet, that I would have to program it first. Well, I'm sad no more, because 3 and 4 rows are here! It took a ground up rewrite of the cover rows code, but the end solution is so much more powerful and flexible. And 4-row mode is a visual 'wall of movies'!

Music Library with mp3/wav/wma playback (WMC style)
One of the great features of Windows Media Center was the awesome Music Library. Well, guess what... it's back! Jump seamlessly between Movie and Music modes, browse your collection of albums, and play your favorite playlists. While the 1.9 version will be limited to mp3/wav/wma files, if there is enough interest and support, I'll look into adding more formats in the future.

Offline Title support
Another popular request was to have MMB show offline titles. This was a great suggestion, and I'm happy to report this support arrives in v1.9. And if you try to play an offline title, you'll get a nice message letting you know the title is offline and to insert the physical disc. Which leads us to the next awesome new feature...

Inserted Disc Autoplay
Now when you bring home a Redbox or Netflix disc, or a friend brings over that awesome new movie, or you are just pulling a personal classic off your shelf, just pop it in and MMB will play it for you! Plus, your individually assigned players for DVDs, Blu-rays, and UHD discs also apply to physical discs too. You can configure it to use MPC-BE for DVDs and PowerDVD for Blu-rays, whatever strategy works best for you.

And if you use the services of the red fox, then for Blu-ray and 4k UHD discs, MMB will determine the FPS and adjust your screen's refresh rate accordingly if you have enabled that feature. MMB can even autoplay the discs when it is running in the background. In one giant leap, MMB has gone from missing this functionality to having what I would propose is the best disc autoplayer ever.

On top of everything else, v1.9 includes lots of small new features, bug fixes and plenty of cosmetic improvements. MM Browser v1.9 is just a few weeks away. Who's ready?

Paul

Chameleon MediaCenter (CMC) v3.1 - Finally for My Movies, a MCE replacement for Windows 10, plus a Music Library!
jkwaterman
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2018 1:56:42 AM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (2726)
Looking forward to version 1.9 of MMBrowser. I already love the current version and I am happy that you are providing more features. I am glad that I left WMC behind.

Jamie
pauven
Posted: Tuesday, October 02, 2018 12:37:02 AM

I'm happy to announce that MM Browser v1.9 is now available. It has lots of great new features.

Due to popular demand, MM Browser now has 3 and 4-row options for the DVD covers:

4 rows is truly a wall of movies:

v1.9 adds offline title support, so now you can browse your disc collection even if you haven't ripped it. To complement offline titles, my favorite new feature is the autoplay on disc insert. Now you can pop in a disc you bought, rented or borrowed, and MMB will queue up playback for you.

There's also lots of little improvements and bug fixes in v1.9. MM Browser is the best way to view your My Movies collection on Windows 10 (and maybe Windows 7 and 8 too!). Have you tried it yet?

-Paul
MM Browser

pauven
Posted: Tuesday, October 02, 2018 12:42:08 AM

But that's not all. The biggest new feature in MM Browser v1.9 is the Music Library - inspired by WMC.

It's got the classic Album view, available in 3, 4 or 5 cover rows:

It's also got the Album Artist view, also available in 3, 4 or 5 cover rows:

It's even got the famous scrolling wall of covers screensaver:

Now MM Browser is for My Movies and Your Music too!

-Paul
MM Browser v1.9

pauven
Posted: Monday, October 29, 2018 3:50:56 AM

The next version of MM Browser is now available, and it is called Chameleon MediaCenter v2.0.

That's right, I've renamed MM Browser for it's 1 year anniversary. Chameleon MediaCenter, or CMC for short, better describes the app, since it is now both a GUI for My Movies and a replacement for the WMC Music Library.

CMC v2.0 adds some great new features. I upgraded the audio engine to Un4seen's BASS Audio Library, which sounds incredible plus now you can listen to a lot more formats, including: AIFF, AAC, ALAC, APE, OGG, FLAC, MP1, MP2, MP3, MP4/M4a, OFR, WAV, WMA, and WV.

On the My Movies side of the house, I added support for DVDFab Player 5, which is a strong competitor to PowerDVD and can play Blu-ray menus. I also increased support for more video file formats, adding AVI, DIVX, DVX, FLV, MOV, MPEG, MPG, QT, and WTV.

WTV, if you didn't recognize it, is the Windows recorded TV format used by Windows Media Center.

The other thing I'd like to mention is that I'm running a contest for the month of November to giveaway a Terminator 2: Judgement Day EndoArm 4K Ultra HD Collector's Edition Blu-ray set. For more information hit up the website.

MM Browser... er, uhm, I mean Chameleon MediaCenter keeps getting better and better. Have you tried it yet?

Paul

tonymuffin
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2018 5:54:01 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (0)
I ripped all my DVDs using ANY DVD and CLONE DVD some time ago. Does Chameleon MediaCenter support .vob files. For example: VTS_01_1.VOB.

Thanks
pauven
Posted: Tuesday, November 20, 2018 2:25:11 AM

Currently no, not .VOB files, though it would be super easy for me to add support.

I'll add it to the next version, due out in early December.

Keep in mind that Chameleon MediaCenter doesn't play videos itself, but rather passes the video to the external player, and I currently have support for these players: PowerDVD, DVDFab, MPC-BE or MPC-HE, VLC, and Windows 10 Movies & TV. Which are these are you likely to use for VOBs?

Paul

jkwaterman
Posted: Tuesday, November 20, 2018 4:47:31 AM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (2726)
pauven wrote:
Currently no, not .VOB files, though it would be super easy for me to add support.

I'll add it to the next version, due out in early December.

Keep in mind that Chameleon MediaCenter doesn't play videos itself, but rather passes the video to the external player, and I currently have support for these players: PowerDVD, DVDFab, MPC-BE or MPC-HE, VLC, and Windows 10 Movies & TV. Which are these are you likely to use for VOBs?

Paul

VOB files will work with Chameleon MediaCenter, if you use mymovies to setup a VIDEO_TS folder properly. You just have to use mymovies to setup the VIDEO_TS folder and then move the mymovies metadata to the proper mymovies folder where Chameleon MediaCenter is pointed. That is the easiest way to get it done.

If you totally refuse to use mymovies and just want to select a VOB file then Paul will have to change Chameleon MediaCenter.
pauven
Posted: Tuesday, November 20, 2018 4:45:43 PM

jkwaterman wrote:

VOB files will work with Chameleon MediaCenter, if you use mymovies to setup a VIDEO_TS folder properly. You just have to use mymovies to setup the VIDEO_TS folder and then move the mymovies metadata to the proper mymovies folder where Chameleon MediaCenter is pointed. That is the easiest way to get it done.

If you totally refuse to use mymovies and just want to select a VOB file then Paul will have to change Chameleon MediaCenter.

That's a good point, and after re-reading tonymuffin's question, I think he may have ripped his collection as DVD Folders, since he said he used AnyDVD* and CloneDVD. DVD Folders (Blu-ray and UHD 4K too) are 100% supported today with Chameleon MediaCenter.

Sorry for my bad answer before, I thought you wanted to use .VOB files like MK4 files, and not inside a DVD Folder.

Give it a test, CMC is free to try and super simple to get going. And if it doesn't do what you need, just let me know.

Paul

* Installing and/or using AnyDVD is illegal in some countries. Users are themselves responsible for complying with local law when installing and using AnyDVD.

pauven
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2019 10:34:11 PM

Chameleon MediaCenter v2.1 is now available, and it has some great new features for the new year.

The biggest change is the entire GUI is now multi-lingual, and shipping with v2.1 are translations for German, French and Spanish. Luckily the CMC user base has grown large enough that we have native speakers for all three of those languages, and three users graciously donated their time to meticulously translate over 300 text strings and phrases for the benefit of all users. I'm happy to add more languages in the future, so please let me know if there's a translation you want.

As CMC has grown over the past year, new features had turned the settings menu into a total mess. CMC v2.1 got rid of the old settings menu and has a brand new settings menu that is nicely organized, has on-screen help on every last option (the help is translated too!), and even works with a mouse now in addition to remotes/keyboards.

This new version has some skinning support. All the graphics and icons are in a skins folder, and you can copy it and replace the images with your own. We want to make this more powerful in the future, with custom colors for fonts, but for now this is at least a start. I'm curious to see what kind of GUI designs users will come up with.

TS and MPEG2 files are now supported, for any users who have those formats in their collection.

Startup time is also quite a bit faster than before, and that's saying something since for most users it was already faster than WMC. For most users, startup time is cut in half.

There's lots of other new features, plus some important bug fixes, too much to list here.

CMC just keeps getting better and better. Have you tried it yet?

Paul

pauven
Posted: Wednesday, June 19, 2019 5:02:54 PM

After several long months of development and testing, I am pleased to announce that Chameleon MediaCenter v2.2 is now available.

CMC v2.2 is chock-full of improvements. Most noteworthy is that CMC can now optionally use the My Movies API data. Users have been requesting this since the beginning, when CMC was known as MM Browser, and it is finally here!

With the My Movies API data, you can now enjoy a significantly better TV Series browsing experience. Explore TV Series, Seasons and Episodes, direct play Episodes, track the watched status of individual Episodes, and even autoplay Episodes one after another (use MPC as the Episode playback software for best Episode Autoplay results).

Even better, you no longer have to perform tedious extra maintenance in My Movies Collection Management in order to see Episodes in CMC.

You will need at least 2500 My Movies Contribution Points in order to have access to the My Movies API. For users that already have enough points, you're good to go, but if you don't then I highly recommend getting them as the API data is so much better and easier, it's definitely worth it!

To learn more about the new My Movies API data capabilities, please visit the CMC forums.

Another major new feature are the External Links, which are configurable buttons that can launch any Windows app or open URL's in the browser of your choice. External Links allows CMC to be your main hub, not only launching your Movies and TV Series, but also launching your streaming video websites, games and gamehubs like Steam, and pretty much anything else that you can imagine.

Other noteworthy new features in CMC v2.2 include:

* The GUI is now 90% touch/mouse enabled, plus an on-screen remote to control the rest
* New TV Series/Box Set cover profile so that you can identify them at a glance
* TV Parental Rating images, so you can see the correct ratings for TV Series
* JRiver is now supported as an external player (LAV + madVR + Blu-ray Menus!!!)
* New option to auto-marks movies and episodes as watched
* New option to have DVD covers wrap around, so you can scroll Z > A and back again.
* External Links - Launch Windows Apps and open URL's right from CMC's top ModeBar
* The Music Library now supports creating and listening to Playlists
* You can now filter your music collection by Music Genre
* Support for non-16:9 screen ratios
* New options for Sleep and Shutdown added to Exit/Reboot menu.
* Plus dozens of enhancements, fixes, graphical improvements, and configurable options

Without a doubt, v2.2 is the best version of Chameleon Media Center yet!

pauven
Posted: Saturday, November 02, 2019 3:47:13 PM

To celebrate Chameleon MediaCenter's 2nd Anniversary, CMC v3.0 is now available! That's right, many My Movie's users have been enjoying the new front-end for over 2 years now, and it keeps getting better with continual updates.

So, what's new in CMC v3.0? The main goal of v3.0 is the finish the core feature development of the Movie Library, making it nearly feature complete with WMC + My Movies Plugin.

On the movie Details page, you'll now see video details including Disc Type, Codec, Video Format/Resolution, FPS and Aspect Ratio:

And on the movie Audio+Subs page, you'll now see all of the available audio and subtitle information. This information is present the same way as you'll remember with WMC.

The Similar Movies recommendation feature is now implemented. Recommendations are based upon a factor of Genres, Cast & Crew, Parental Rating, Star Rating, Year, and Runtime. Additionally, listed titles should be age appropriate based upon the Parental Rating, so you won't see a PG-13 movie shown as a similar title for a G rated kids movie. And you can even filter the list of Similar Movies by Watched Status, listing Unwatched movies only to help you find a film to watch - that makes this better than the WMC based solution.

In addition to the Similar Movies recommendations helping you to find a movie to watch, Advanced Filters have now been implemented (access via the filter icon), which allow you to filter your collection based upon Disc Type, Video Format, Audio Type, Parental Rating, Stars Rating, and Year. Additionally, you can configure the default Disc Type filter to be applied at CMC start-up, so if you always want to start CMC defaulting to your prized collection of 4K UltraHD movies, that is now possible!

Another area that received some improvements with CMC v3.0 is the Movie Screensaver, which now allows you to set an Parental Rating limit so you don't have to worry about mature themed Fan Art being shown to your children. Additionally, you can now configure the Movie Screensaver to only show Fan Art from Unwatched movies from your collection, so it becomes an additional tool to help you find a new movie to watch.

The newly released DVDFab Player 6 is already supported by CMC v3.0, and VLC integration has been enhanced to now support playing of DVD's and Blu-rays (including Blu-ray menus!). And if you have Chapter-based Episodes on DVD, you'll be happy to know that v3.0 now fully supports them, including direct playback with MPC (which is the only external player that supports starting playback from Title+Chapter #).

There's actually quite a few more enhancements, plus lot's of bug fixes. Too much to list here. So hit the link to check out all the latest and greatest.

If you love My Movies, Chameleon MediaCenter is a great way to enjoy your collection, without any of the hassle of trying to maintain a working WMC installation. If you haven't tried it yet, what are you waiting for?

zarquon
Posted: Saturday, November 09, 2019 6:17:51 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (142)
Is there any way to use CMC as a GUI for My Movies if you're just using it to catalog a disc collection, not ripping the discs to a server, e.i.: no folders to watch?
pauven
Posted: Sunday, November 17, 2019 11:15:55 PM

Hi zarquon,

Sorry I missed your question here. While I already answered this on the CMC forums, I thought I should summarize the answer here for those interested.

Yes, it is possible to display offline titles with the current version of CMC, though it does require some additional movie maintenance steps. I've detailed this on the CMC forum.

I am working on a new version of CMC that has much tighter integration with the My Movies database via the API, and one of the benefits this will bring is native support for offline titles, with no additional maintenance required.

It's a lot of development work, so I don't know exactly when I'll be done, but I'm hopeful to have it by Spring of 2020.

If you only have a few offline titles, then spending an extra minute or two per title to get them to show in CMC today might be worth it for you. But if you have a lot of offline titles, my recommendation is to wait for me to add proper support.

Paul

pauven
Posted: Sunday, January 19, 2020 10:46:44 PM

I forgot to post a note here last month when I released CMC v3.1. Better late than never, right? Here's a brief rundown on the new improvements and features:

A lot of effort was spent on v3.1 to improve sync performance. With a brand new XML parsing engine under the hood and greatly improved code logic, many users are experiencing Full Syncs and SmartSyncs 3x-10x faster than before. Additionally, we hunted down and fixed a few bugs in the SmartSync logic that was allowing CMC to become out of sync with your My Movies collection, so now you should be able to use SmartSync nearly all the time instead of the slower Full Sync.

With WMC+My Movies you could jump through your titles using your numberpad on your remote. Previous versions of CMC had a very limited capability for this. With v3.1 this is much better: you can now enter multiple characters and see what you've entered on-screen - just like WMC!

The Real-Time Search panel can now receive text input from your remote's number pad too, so you no longer have to break out the keyboard just to search by actor or director.

One of my all-time favorite WMC+My Movies features is now in CMC - playing Movie Trailers! CMC v3.1 will open up and play movie trailers full-screen using MPC-BE, so now you can use the movie trailers to help decide whether you've already seen that movie before you fire it up and sit through a dozen adverts. Note that this new capability does require the My Movies API access, so this is only available for users who have at least 2500 My Movies Contribution Points.

v3.1 now supports DNA files (Do Not Add). Similar to My Movies, putting a DNA file in a folder will prevent CMC from importing that folder. Just create a text file named "CMC.dna" and pop it in a folder to exclude it, easy. By the way, CMC ignores the My Movies mymovies.dna files, in case you're wondering - it only sees the CMC.dna files.

Many users like to browse their offline movie collection to decide what to watch, and they have their thousands of movies neatly stored away in boxes and disc organizers. For these users, it can be a challenge to simply locate the disc for the movie you've already picked out (I've been there, and feel your pain!). CMC v3.1 now shows the physic disc location on the Movie Details page for offline discs, and when you go to play an offline movie the "Insert Disc" prompt now shows this location as well. Note that you will have to record the disc location in My Movies Collection Management (Personal Data > Location) before it will be available in CMC.

A lot of effort was also expended to eliminate a few minor memory leaks and various bugs.

Add it all up, and Chameleon MediaCenter v3.1 makes enjoying your My Movies collection more enjoyable than ever.

sawia
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2020 9:21:53 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (0)
pauven wrote:
fdavis71 wrote:
I took a look at your website for this the other day. Very nice and I agree with jkwaterman. Once it supports the box set functionality you'll really be cooking. That's where My Movies reallly distinguishes itself from other front ends. Would be sweet if you were able to support offline titles as well though. Not everyone rips their DVD's and Blu-ray's to hard drives.

Thanks. I'm doing a massive update for multi-disc + box set support right now. Hard to say when I'll be done, but pretty certain it will be this week.

Not sure if that will be possible without the xml files, which (as far as I know) are only generated for ripped titles.

For offline titles, I think My Movies has this covered with their web/app based approach.

I'm thinking the next step after this is for TV series support, then converted file support (i.e. mk4, etc). Basically, I'm visualizing MM Browser as a 'media launcher' GUI for My Movies, and for offline titles there's nothing to launch.

Paul

2) Use your keyboard (or remote control), not a mouse. Use the Arrow Keys to navigate, and Enter/Return to select. <- Backspace to go back, and Esc to toggle a movie between Watched/Unwatched. If your keyboard has a Play button, you can use that to mount/play an ISO from the covers screen, otherwise you would have to select a title to open the FanArt details page, and select Play from there.