Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

SQL filestream causing Win10 centennial apps/desktop bridge app to fail Options · View
richardmshome
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2019 10:16:11 PM
Groups: Member

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (1288)
Since installing My Movies, I can no longer run some Win10 store apps. I have done some research and found that when SQL is using FileStream, it can cause the following error "The data area passed to a system call is too small" errors, when running a Win10 app that are Centennial apps/desktop bridge. MS are aware of the issue, and have fixed later versions of SQL. For non-fixed versions of SQL, they recommend disabling FileStream. I guess my question is, does MyMovies rely on FileStream, or will I break it if I turn it off?
binnerup
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2019 8:08:50 AM

Groups: Administration , Windows RT/8 Discussion Group

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (152759)
My Movies relies on FileStream, yes - and indeed, there is a problem on some systems in relation.

We cannot do anything about this - it is Microsoft products vs. Microsoft products.

Having trouble installing or upgrading to My Movies 5? Click here for troubleshooting.

Having a problem? Searching our Knowledge Base is always the first step.

How can I produce a log file in My Movies for Windows?

How can I fully uninstall My Movies for Windows
lbrulla
Posted: Tuesday, April 23, 2019 10:18:08 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (2500)
what exactly does it mean that it's Microsoft products vs Microsoft products? I, too, have the same issue. I'm using a Dell and running MyMovies as well. If I disable the SQL server for MyMovies, I no longer receive the error. Would it make a difference if the SQL version were the latest version (I believe 2014)?
jkwaterman
Posted: Thursday, April 25, 2019 9:48:14 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (2726)
lbrulla wrote:
what exactly does it mean that it's Microsoft products vs Microsoft products? I, too, have the same issue. I'm using a Dell and running MyMovies as well. If I disable the SQL server for MyMovies, I no longer receive the error. Would it make a difference if the SQL version were the latest version (I believe 2014)?

What I believe what Brian is referring to is that Microsoft created the code for running store apps in Windows 10 and Microsoft SQL server too. It is Microsofts responsibility to fix their faulty code, not Mymovies.

Are you running MYmovies 5.24, or the new 5.25 prerelease 1? If you haven't installed prerelease 1, you may try it. It may help you. It has a new version of sql server.

To get the new prerelease 1 with the new version of Sql Server installed, BACK UP your Mymovies Database first and remove all SQL SERVER installs then uninstall mymovies then run the mymovies cleanup tool. Reboot and install the prerelease from scratch. The prelease is in the downloads section. Remember to backup your Mymovies database first. If not you might not be very happy with the outcome.

P.S. It has been brought to my attention that you may not need to uninstall all your versions of SQL Server. You still need the do a complete install of Mymovies from scratch and backup your DB before hand.
jzelasko
Posted: Tuesday, June 4, 2019 7:15:28 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (0)
Pretty Crappy response from binnerup. Could say we are upgrading to new SQL server or something but nope says, you installed the program, it hosed things up but it's Microsoft problem.
"The data area passed to a system call is too small" error on way to many programs to justify keeping this installed. To bad I like it.
jkwaterman
Posted: Tuesday, June 4, 2019 9:18:23 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (2726)
jzelasko wrote:
Pretty Crappy response from binnerup. Could say we are upgrading to new SQL server or something but nope says, you installed the program, it hosed things up but it's Microsoft problem.
"The data area passed to a system call is too small" error on way to many programs to justify keeping this installed. To bad I like it.

Removing mymovies completely and installing the prerelease 1 from scratch fixed the windows store error that I was getting.
binnerup
Posted: Wednesday, June 5, 2019 1:25:40 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (152759)
jzelasko wrote:

This is a documented issue in SQL Server - we cannot correct issues in Microsofts software, and the alternative is therefore to stop using SQL Server all together, and we are not ready to do that.

Installing fresh (uninstall, use our clean tool) will install the latest service pack of the SQL Server, but we do not believe that this will resolve the problem.

I am not sure what else you would like for us to do?

Having trouble installing or upgrading to My Movies 5? Click here for troubleshooting.

jzelasko
Posted: Wednesday, June 5, 2019 9:34:55 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (0)
binnerup wrote:
jzelasko wrote:

This is a documented issue in SQL Server - we cannot correct issues in Microsofts software, and the alternative is therefore to stop using SQL Server all together, and we are not ready to do that.

Installing fresh (uninstall, use our clean tool) will install the latest service pack of the SQL Server, but we do not believe that this will resolve the problem.

I am not sure what else you would like for us to do?

I apologize for my tone, but this here is a much better response.
BTW uninstalling MyMovies 5 and installing the pre-release fixed the problem.
firesong
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2020 1:47:47 AM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (20)
@binnerup. That really was a bad reply. Maybe updating your product would be a solution. You're using an unsupported version of SQL (End of life 7/9/2019) and complain that Microsoft isn't fixing the issue. Did you open a ticket with Microsoft back then? Maybe they would have fixed it if someone using it had brought it up. Now of course it is out of support, so it is no longer about Microsoft vs Microsoft, but lazy developer vs Microsoft. Please update the version of SQL Express you use so it is a supported version.
binnerup
Posted: Tuesday, June 30, 2020 10:21:15 AM

The issue is resolved in newer versions of SQL Server - the software installs this later version in the latest versions.

However, users who have the prior SQL Server versions installed needs to have that uninstalled by using our clean tool, as the installer cannot upgrade the SQL Server.

binnerup
Posted: Tuesday, June 30, 2020 10:21:59 AM

The issue is resolved in newer versions of SQL Server - the software installs this later version in the latest versions.

However, users who have the prior SQL Server versions installed needs to have that uninstalled by using our clean tool, as the installer cannot upgrade the SQL Server.

Notice that this issue was there, and not resolved in a hot fix long before the product reached end of life.