Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

How to Test My Movies 5.30 Pre Release 1? Options · View
pauven
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2020 4:05:26 PM
Groups: Member

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (2636)
Brian,

I would like to test out the new My Movies 5.30 Pre Release 1, and I need guidance on how to do the upgrade. I am currently running MM 5.24 on a dedicated PC.

I have a new Win10 VM ready for installing 5.30 PR1 - it has never had My Movies installed on it before.

My idea is that I would like to install 5.30 PR1 on the new Win10 VM, and copy a v5.24 DB Backup to the new PC.

I'm hoping I can restore from backup, and that 5.30 PR1 will accept a v5.24 backup file and apply the necessary DB changes to bring it up to the 5.30 PR1 level.

Will this work? Or is there another upgrade path I need to take? My goal here is to have a newer SQL Server version installed, so I don't want to install 5.24 on the new Win10 VM.

Thanks!
Paul

Chameleon MediaCenter (CMC) v3.6 - A MCE replacement for My Movies on Win7/8.1/10, plus a Music Library and App Launcher!
binnerup
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2020 5:29:22 PM

Groups: Administration , Windows RT/8 Discussion Group

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (152874)
pauven
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2020 5:44:49 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (2636)
Excellent, thanks Brian.

By the way, I really liked the pop-up notification in MMCM that let me know you wanted help testing 5.30. That's a nice touch.

Chameleon MediaCenter (CMC) v3.6 - A MCE replacement for My Movies on Win7/8.1/10, plus a Music Library and App Launcher!
trentjw
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2020 8:28:09 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (6163)
Will 5.30 install on a bare metal reinstall of windows server 2016 or above? or do I need to install a previous version first so it can get all it stuff to install?

Owner of NORTH COUNTRY SPECIALTIES
http://www.ncspecialties.com

My Movie Collection
http://oc.mymovies.dk/trentjw
darrelenyart
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2020 10:38:40 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (0)
pauven wrote:
Excellent, thanks Brian.

By the way, I really liked the pop-up notification in MMCM that let me know you wanted help testing 5.30. That's a nice touch.

I have a much different take on that damn popup. I can't get the dashboard or collection management to show up because that popup isn't visible but it seems to be preventing the main program form showing up. My Movies is dead in the water for me at this point.
pauven
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2020 11:14:25 PM

Yes, pop-up forms can do that if they lose focus. I've struggled with them on CMC, so much that I've mostly eliminated using them and instead create an overlay on the main form that can never lose focus. They're convenient to use, as they only take a line of code, but definitely problematic.

Possible workaround: close collection management in Task Manager or reboot. Be extra patient the next time you start CM, as if you click on the form too early that may steal focus away from the pop-up. Wait for and dismiss the pop-up before doing anything else.

Good luck.

darrelenyart
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2020 3:32:04 AM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (0)
I was able to finally see the popup after a restart. I had two popups to deal with. The first one was asking me to re-login with my "my movies" username and password, and the second pop-u was the one talking about the new beta version. So far, so good since the reboot and acknowledgment of the pop-ups. Thanks for the reply.
binnerup
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2020 1:22:26 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (152874)
darrelenyart wrote:
I was able to finally see the popup after a restart. I had two popups to deal with. The first one was asking me to re-login with my "my movies" username and password, and the second pop-u was the one talking about the new beta version. So far, so good since the reboot and acknowledgment of the pop-ups. Thanks for the reply.

If you see double dialogs in the future, please create a screenshot, as we would like to deal with that.

Having trouble installing or upgrading to My Movies 5? Click here for troubleshooting.

Having a problem? Searching our Knowledge Base is always the first step.

How can I produce a log file in My Movies for Windows?

How can I fully uninstall My Movies for Windows
pauven
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2020 5:12:05 PM

Brian,

I was able to successfully install 5.30 PR1 on the new Win10 VM with no issues. Very good.

The initial restore from 5.24 backup gave an error message related to issues upgrading the data to 5.30 and to contact support. But I was also experiencing some unusual 100% memory utilization issues on the VM. Once I changed the VM memory from a dynamic 16 GB to a static 32 GB, the issue went away, and I did another restore from backup and it completed without errors, so I think my VM configuration was the issue that first go-round. To be clear, the VM is not using a lot of RAM, only about 8 GB, but for some reason my original VM settings were causing trouble. I thought I would mention this here in case I'm not the only user to encounter this error. I didn't have debug logging enabled so I don't have more info to share.

Movie Collections
I'm now trying to test the new Movie Collections feature, but can't figure out what to do. To be honest, I don't even know what Movie Collections are. The only thing I've found is WebService > Update Movie Collections, but that simply indicates that "There are no Movies registered in your collection."

I've looked all over, and can't seem to find any way to create a collection. Is this something that requires using an app?

Thanks.
-Paul

binnerup
Posted: Tuesday, October 13, 2020 3:51:47 PM

pauven wrote:
Brian,

I was able to successfully install 5.30 PR1 on the new Win10 VM with no issues. Very good.

The initial restore from 5.24 backup gave an error message related to issues upgrading the data to 5.30 and to contact support. But I was also experiencing some unusual 100% memory utilization issues on the VM. Once I changed the VM memory from a dynamic 16 GB to a static 32 GB, the issue went away, and I did another restore from backup and it completed without errors, so I think my VM configuration was the issue that first go-round. To be clear, the VM is not using a lot of RAM, only about 8 GB, but for some reason my original VM settings were causing trouble. I thought I would mention this here in case I'm not the only user to encounter this error. I didn't have debug logging enabled so I don't have more info to share.

Movie Collections
I'm now trying to test the new Movie Collections feature, but can't figure out what to do. To be honest, I don't even know what Movie Collections are. The only thing I've found is WebService > Update Movie Collections, but that simply indicates that "There are no Movies registered in your collection."

I've looked all over, and can't seem to find any way to create a collection. Is this something that requires using an app?

Thanks.
-Paul

Hi Paul,

If you see any abnormalities overall on memory, try to let me know and we can try to determine what you do when memory increases.

Regarding collections - in the "Add Titles" dialog, when selecting "Manual", you can now select to create a movie collection - it is a set of movies, such as Bourne, James Bond, ect.

After creating one, it can be contributed to the service: https://www.mymovies.dk/how-to/written-documentation.aspx?Page=Movie%20Collection%20Contribution%20Guide

The point for now is to let users create these collections - the point in the longer run is to be able to inform the user when a new title is released in a collection he already have, or make it visible to the user if he or she is missing a title of a collection.

Having trouble installing or upgrading to My Movies 5? Click here for troubleshooting.

pauven
Posted: Tuesday, October 13, 2020 5:39:55 PM

Thanks Brian, I found it exactly as you described.

I went ahead and created "The James Bond Collection". Here's a bit of feedback on the process.

I was expecting to only add movies that I own. Then I noticed that the title searches were returning films not in my collection, which is when I realized that this is a master movie collection that all users can use, regardless of which films you own. This seems really neat, though I still need some playtime to see how well this works.

Small Bug #1: So on my first pass, I added the James Bond movies that I own (Daniel Craig's first four), and attempted to add his new 5th film, No Time to Die. When that new movie wasn't found in the service, I was not able to click the "Add" button, as it kept indicating that I had to Search first. I found that I had to add an extra title and then remove it from the queue before I could hit the Add button. So if you search for and don't add a movie, the Add button doesn't work, even if you have movies in the Add Queue.

After adding the first four movies, I then added all the previous James Bond movies. They were sorted in the order I added them, so I had to resort them which was a pain. If there was a handy "Re-Sort by Year" button that could have saved me a ton of time. Or Move to First "<<" and Move to Last ">>" buttons would have also been very nice.

Smaller Bug #2 and #3: One of the movies I added was missing the cover artwork, but there was two copies of that movie in the online service, so I added the other one which had cover artwork. I sorted the covers perfectly, but hadn't saved yet, and I clicked the remove title button for the movie that was missing the cover artwork. It prompted me "Do you want to remove "" from your collection", where the title name was missing. I clicked yes, and then all the titles disappeared - I was really worried for a minute. Then they slowly re-added while I waited. Finally, they all re-appeared except for the one I had removed (good), but all my sorting was undone (bad). So now I had to spend several more minutes resorting everything again, which as I mentioned above is a tedious process.

Question: Now that I've created it, how do other user's find and use it? And how do I find Movie Collections created by other users? Nevermind, I figured it out. Collection > Import Movie Collections returns 3 collections, The Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, and The Bourne Collection. Glad I didn't pick one of those to create...

Thanks,
Paul

pauven
Posted: Tuesday, October 13, 2020 6:17:46 PM

Brian,

I was hoping to see the new Movie Collections I added in the API data, but I'm not seeing it.

Are there any new API calls?

Paul

binnerup
Posted: Tuesday, October 13, 2020 6:54:31 PM

binnerup
Posted: Tuesday, October 13, 2020 6:56:45 PM

A note - the collections are as you mention global - titles that are not in your collection is greyed out, both in the overview and in the treeview - this is for now the only way to see if you are missing parts of a collection.

But the long term plan is that we will be able to make it easier visible which collections you are perhaps missing one or more movie in.

pauven
Posted: Tuesday, October 13, 2020 7:20:06 PM

Yes, I was just noticing that the movies I am missing are greyed out, very nice! But on its own, that's not enough of a reason to use Movie Collections.

I am eager to see this in the API. There are a lot of users that create fake Box Sets to accomplish a similar goal of grouping movies, which is a pretty neat trick that I have used a few times myself. There's also at least one user that uses custom Categories to group movies together in the same way, and he has nearly 100 Categories now. Movie Collections seems like a much better way of doing this than fake Box Sets and custom Categories.

I don't know if you plan to integrate this into WMC (I assume all WMC development is over, but I don't want to speak for you), but I can have this added to CMC pretty quickly. This is a hot new capability that users will love.

By the way, I just found a couple more minor bugs.

If you use the Title Filter, it shows all of the Movie Collections even if they don't match the text string. It does filter out the movies inside the collections (showing only movies that you have that match the text string), which is good, but doesn't filter out the Movie Collection parents themselves.

Also, the movies in my collection for The James Bond Collection that I created did not show up in the treeview - no plus + sign to expand the collection and see the movie list. I added the other 3 Movie Collections from the online service, and they had the plus sign to show the movies in the collection. I closed and re-opened MMCM, and the plus sign then appeared for The James Bond Collection.

pauven
Posted: Tuesday, October 13, 2020 8:37:05 PM

I just have to say, the new Movie Collections are awesome. Thank you Brian and co. for adding this new feature.

Just the other week I was daydreaming about how nice it would be to have a list of all Oscar winning movies that I could pull up, see which ones I have and which are missing. At the time, I couldn't figure out how best to do it. A custom Category, a fake Box Set, some type of Synopsis text search looking for the word Oscar, or possibly even creating a master index of all Oscar winners that could be queried. None of these ideas were great.

And now Movie Collections has burst onto the scene, providing the perfect solution!

I'm in the middle of creating a new collection named "The Academy Awards - Best Picture Winners", and I'm adding every winner from 1934 1927 through today. While I think creating Movie Categories for existing collections like James Bond, Star Wars, etc. is really great, many of those collections already exist as Box Sets. To me, the real magic of this new feature is in creating collections that have never existed before, and will never exist in Box Set, but always should have. Now everyone, not just myself, can benefit from a master list of Best Picture Oscar winning movies, and it can be updated each year to include the latest winner.

Is there an upper limit to how many titles can be in a Movie Collection? I already noticed some slowdowns with The James Bond Collection at around 24 movies. The Academy Awards - Best Picture collection should have 92 movies in it, which is getting pretty big. But what about The Academy Awards - All Categories? I just checked, and there are 1315 movies so far that have won an Oscar. I'm worried that would be too many.

Suggestion: It would be really nice to import a list of movies to create a Movie Collection. It's slow to add movies one-by-one. If I could import a list of titles and years from something like a CSV file, that would make this much quicker and easier.

Also, I'd like to make a recommendation to be able to include TV Series in addition to Movies. Above I mentioned a user that creates custom Categories to group his collections together, and a couple examples of those are Star Trek and The Terminator. Both of those have both movies and TV Series. I think Star Wars belongs in this too, with The Clone Wars and Mandalorian series. Other examples of category crossing collections: Lethal Weapon, 21 Jump Street, Mission Impossible, and so many more.

Along those lines, I want to create a Marvel collection, which of course has dozens of big-screen movies from Hulk to The Avengers series, but also several TV shows like Agents of Shield, Jessica Jones, Dare Devil, etc. It seems that some of the series in most need of a Movie Collection include popular TV Shows. Yes, I know, you named it "Movie Collections", not "TV & Movie Collections", but hopefully it's not too late to improve this amazing new feature.

pauven
Posted: Tuesday, October 13, 2020 11:22:46 PM

Some more possible bugs with Movie Collections:

Is anyone else seeing the Backdrop & Poster images I assigned to my 3 Movie Collections? Here are the ones I contributed: The James Bond Collection, Harry Potter, and The Academy Awards - Best Picture Winners.

I assigned pictures to all of them, and contributed the pictures and the collection. Immediately after contributing, if I do WebService > Update Movie Collections, my own contributions are all listed, along with other collections, as having updates and the update being "Images". This seems really weird that my own contribution is showing as updates seconds after I contribute it. I let it update, but don't see any changes. And if I check again, they still show as having updates. This seems broken.

Further, I added other user's collections: The Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, and The Bourne Collection. The Bourne Collection shows as having an "Image" update, same as my three. But no matter how many times I do the update, the Backdrop and Poster are always blank. That's why I ask if other users are seeing my artwork I uploaded, because I don't see artwork on anyone else's Movie Collections.

One last minor bug: After doing an update, the updated Movie Collection's green completion % pill in the treeview turns red, even if the completeness is 100%.

deprongmori
Posted: Friday, October 16, 2020 7:16:50 AM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (35566)
Hi Brian,

What is the relationship between the 5.30 Prerelease 1 and the build I have? Do you want to continue any testing on the "Keepcase (Slim HD, Low)" full cover auto-trim? I still haven't heard back from you on this. Thanks. - David
binnerup
Posted: Friday, October 16, 2020 4:17:23 PM

deprongmori wrote:
Hi Brian,

What is the relationship between the 5.30 Prerelease 1 and the build I have? Do you want to continue any testing on the "Keepcase (Slim HD, Low)" full cover auto-trim? I still haven't heard back from you on this. Thanks. - David

Your build plus more :-)