Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Bug V5.31 Build 2: User context lost during Profile update of child of box-set in moderation queue Options · View
deprongmori
Posted: Wednesday, December 23, 2020 10:22:28 PM
Groups: Member

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (40598)
In V5.31 Build 2, I have made changes to the Studios" in the child record of a box-set in queue for moderation. When I go to "Contribute Title Data", I am informed that a newer profile is available on the server and prompted whether I would like to update mine. When I respond "Yes", my user context is bounced out of the current record and to the top of the sorted database records.

The barcode of the parent in this case was 715515188517 ("Lone Wolf and Cub") and the child was "Lone Wolf and Cub: White Heaven in Hell". See attached screen shot.

NOTE: This box set was not submitted by me, but downloaded by me in a state of "Title creation in moderation queue to be confirmed."

To simply the problem immensely in subsequent tests, I did an Update Title on a different child record without first modifying any data. After the record was updated, my user context was lost and I was bounced up to the top of the sorted database. I thought this bug had been fixed earlier as I tested in an earlier PR. The only difference I am aware of is that this box set is in queue for moderator approval. I've also attached a log of the update operation.

File Attachment(s):
LoneWolfAndCub_User_Context_Lost.png (347kb) downloaded 4 time(s).
log.txt (568kb) downloaded 1 time(s).

binnerup
Posted: Monday, January 4, 2021 3:57:30 PM

Groups: Administration , Windows RT/8 Discussion Group

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (153398)
binnerup
Posted: Tuesday, January 5, 2021 9:38:46 AM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (153398)
Looking closer at this, this is actually expected I believe.

If there is an update to a profile on the online service, the clients will receive that data from the service, and any local edits will be lost unless the lock is applied to the data.

The way moderation works, the profile will get a new data changed date stamp when the title is approved, as that is when all other users will receive an update for the profile - that date stamp also affects the contributor - it is seen as the profile being changed on the service.

Therefore, once you contribute your box set, you must either way for it to be handled, or apply the lock to the profile if you want to make more changes - the intention though is that you complete the profile before contributing it.

Having trouble installing or upgrading to My Movies 5? Click here for troubleshooting.

Having a problem? Searching our Knowledge Base is always the first step.

How can I produce a log file in My Movies for Windows?

How can I fully uninstall My Movies for Windows
deprongmori
Posted: Wednesday, January 6, 2021 6:40:23 AM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (40598)
binnerup wrote:
Looking closer at this, this is actually expected I believe.

If there is an update to a profile on the online service, the clients will receive that data from the service, and any local edits will be lost unless the lock is applied to the data.

The way moderation works, the profile will get a new data changed date stamp when the title is approved, as that is when all other users will receive an update for the profile - that date stamp also affects the contributor - it is seen as the profile being changed on the service.

Therefore, once you contribute your box set, you must either way for it to be handled, or apply the lock to the profile if you want to make more changes - the intention though is that you complete the profile before contributing it.

I would expect the edited data to be lost because of the forced update. That's not the problem. The problem is that the update bounces me out of the current record and to the top of the database, forcing me to scroll through hundreds/thousands of records to get back to where I was. That shouldn't happen. I should remain on my current record, with the record's data now updated from the server.
binnerup
Posted: Wednesday, January 6, 2021 8:49:33 AM

Indeed - it should stay on the currently marked profile.

Can you post a log for me on this, because the tree list should maintain the position.

As a side node - the new version updates the tree list control from an 6 year old version to the latest version from DevExpress, and this is likely what causes some things to fail and for need of re-checks.

Having trouble installing or upgrading to My Movies 5? Click here for troubleshooting.

deprongmori
Posted: Wednesday, January 6, 2021 9:04:06 AM

binnerup wrote:

Can you post a log for me on this, because the tree list should maintain the position.

As a side node - the new version updates the tree list control from an 6 year old version to the latest version from DevExpress, and this is likely what causes some things to fail and for need of re-checks.

I have a better fix on what the problem is, and why the updates are being forced on the child records. The problem is if you edit the Parent, and check the "Use Same Cover for Child Titles" and then contribute Title Data, this forces an update on each of the child records (in order to update the cover image) before you can contribute any updates to the data. Knowing how to force the situation to occur should make the problem much easier to reproduce.

I'll post a log here.
deprongmori
Posted: Wednesday, January 6, 2021 9:39:18 AM

deprongmori wrote:
binnerup wrote:

I have a better fix on what the problem is, and why the updates are being forced on the child records. The problem is if you edit the Parent, and check the "Use Same Cover for Child Titles" and then contribute Title Data, this forces an update on each of the child records (in order to update the cover image) before you can contribute any updates to the data. Knowing how to force the situation to occur should make the problem much easier to reproduce.

I'll post a log here.

I've been having some trouble with the exact circumstance that triggers the problem, though I'm sure it involves the "Use same cover" checkbox. That's been the case whenever it's happened, but it doesn't occur every time. Maybe in cases when the parent covers are updated on the server after the checkbox has already been saved and before the child records are edited? I'll see if I can find a consistent repro tomorrow. I'll post a log if I do.

There seem to be two "update title" scenarios: One that only asks you to look at the comparison before choosing to contribute Title information over the profile on the server, and the other where it forces the user to accept a profile update from the server before the Title info contribution can be made to the server. It's *always* this latter situation. What are the circumstances that provoke a mandatory local update before contributing to the server? If I knew what those were I could better repro the problem.
callan
Posted: Wednesday, January 6, 2021 2:23:11 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (1009)
I had a similar situation that I reported earlier where I was seeing these 2 scenarios also. I’m not 100% certain but it appeared at the time that the trigger for the “comparison” version was whether or not my local copy was calculating a higher percentage improved. (I.e. if the change caused the %improved to increase - then a comparison was used when the profile updated. If it didn’t cause an improvement - then the profile was updated without the comparison)
deprongmori
Posted: Wednesday, January 6, 2021 11:17:24 PM

Ok, I'm captured a log of the problem.

File Attachment(s):
log.txt (209kb) downloaded 0 time(s).

deprongmori
Posted: Tuesday, January 12, 2021 12:39:16 AM

deprongmori wrote:
Ok, I'm captured a log of the problem.

Does this log give you the information you need?
binnerup
Posted: Wednesday, January 13, 2021 11:08:26 AM

I did not get to this until now.

So, first of all - it is expected that when a profile on the service is updated, when updating the profile, you loose your locally created content - this is by design, as you are not getting a merge of the profile - you get specifically the data on the service. This is also why there is an option to decline an update, and choose to compare profiles when contributing.

But, the tree list naturally should keep the position when the profile is updated - I will try to look at reproducing that.

deprongmori
Posted: Wednesday, January 13, 2021 6:31:28 PM

binnerup wrote:
I did not get to this until now.

So, first of all - it is expected that when a profile on the service is updated, when updating the profile, you loose your locally created content - this is by design, as you are not getting a merge of the profile - you get specifically the data on the service. This is also why there is an option to decline an update, and choose to compare profiles when contributing.

But, the tree list naturally should keep the position when the profile is updated - I will try to look at reproducing that.

Yes, it is the tree position in the sidebar I am referring to when I say “losing user context”. I would expect to have the refreshed/updated info of the record I had been working on displayed in my current edit window as well.
binnerup
Posted: Wednesday, January 13, 2021 6:35:31 PM