Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me, Media Type? Options · View
erik_n
Posted: Saturday, January 30, 2021 11:00:33 AM
Groups: Member

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (12252)
Short question: Should Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me be Media Type Movie or TV Series?

In my collection I have this title on DVD with barcode 7332431025493, it is now registered as Movie.
I also have a Twin Peaks DVD box with barcode 7332431027824, registered as TV Series.

When I use My Movies app to look for what I'm missing of this series I've found under Special that Fire Walk With Me is listed there.

This indicates that it should be changed to TV Series, as it is a prequel to the series.

My own option is that it should be changed and I can do it, and then add episodes, but I just want to know that I'm not doing something wrong here.

File Attachment(s):
Twin Peaks Special.jpeg (108kb) downloaded 1 time(s).

My home theather
My movies
andycob
Posted: Sunday, January 31, 2021 5:17:02 AM

Groups: Administration , Member, Moderator

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (136904)
If its a standalone item then the question is simple, was it a theatrically released movie, which IMDB says it was so the standalone of just it alone is correct as a movie.

However when looking at the TV series box this is a little more complex than it might seem at first. As a considerable quantity of TV series data came via import from TVDB where it is not uncommon for them to allow TV movies (which should be) and even theatrical films (which you could argue should not) in the specials of the TV series they relate to. This doesn't mean the actual theatrical movies should be reclassified as TV series in their individual items. This element of movies as specials in TV series data is not something we have made any effort to remove as it offers a convenience with some TV series box sets. Mixed media box sets were never really intended, though they work sort of within certain limitations. The advantage then for allowing or leaving an actual movie in the specials of the directly related TV series is when you then get a complete TV series set the movie will often be in there somewhere meaning that TV series box set can simply have the movie mapped as a special without having to get into the complications of mixed media.
erik_n
Posted: Sunday, January 31, 2021 11:59:49 AM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (12252)
OK, I understand. I just thought it would be nice to have it included in the series. I really like how TV series are grouped in the MM app when all episodes are mapped.

Thank you for the extended explanation! Now I understand better why it is like it is, and should be so. I will not do any changes to this title.

My home theather
My movies
andycob
Posted: Monday, February 1, 2021 9:01:59 AM

Groups: Administration , Member, Moderator

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (136904)
Note you can add TV series and their episodes as standalone items, so if you want to have the movie available as a special in the series data you can simply manually add the standalone series data and add the episode to your collection. You could even then point the episode file location at the folder containing the disc. In that way you would have both the correct movie disc title but also have the special available in your series data.
erik_n
Posted: Monday, February 1, 2021 9:13:36 AM

Sounds advanced, but I might try it! Thanks again!

My home theather
My movies