Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Add "Aspect Ratio" (or "Aspect Ratios") to the "Movie" record data Options · View
deprongmori
Posted: Monday, February 1, 2021 11:25:10 PM
Groups: Member

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (43564)
I'm surprised to find that one of the most important pieces of information relevant to a movie is not a field present in the "Movie" record. Why is there no "Aspect Ratio" field (or possibly "Aspect Ratios" for films that have been released in multiple formats)?

"Aspect Ratio" really should be added.
binnerup
Posted: Wednesday, February 10, 2021 8:37:11 AM

Groups: Administration , Windows RT/8 Discussion Group

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (153505)
Because the movie profiles are generic data covering all formats, where disc titles covers a specific release.

Depending on the release, the aspect ratio differs - so, one user may have the title with one aspect ratio, and another with a different one, depending on the release they have.

It is our intention that you in the future will be able to add personal media information to movie profiles, but it always will be personal information, and not bound to a specific service.

Having trouble installing or upgrading to My Movies 5? Click here for troubleshooting.

Having a problem? Searching our Knowledge Base is always the first step.

How can I produce a log file in My Movies for Windows?

How can I fully uninstall My Movies for Windows
deprongmori
Posted: Wednesday, February 10, 2021 7:13:56 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (43564)
binnerup wrote:
Because the movie profiles are generic data covering all formats, where disc titles covers a specific release.

Depending on the release, the aspect ratio differs - so, one user may have the title with one aspect ratio, and another with a different one, depending on the release they have.

It is our intention that you in the future will be able to add personal media information to movie profiles, but it always will be personal information, and not bound to a specific service.

While different home video releases may present different aspect ratios (and that is important to capture), the aspect ratio is an inherent property of the *Movie* itself, certainly one more important than box office earnings. And, in the case of box-sets without Child Titles (i.e., direct link to child Movies rather than child Titles), or direct linked Movies owned as streaming, there is no information providing the aspect ratio of the movie itself.
binnerup
Posted: Thursday, February 11, 2021 8:24:12 AM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (153505)
It is certainly an argument that the release had an aspect ratio in the cinemas, but very, very few of our users use this profile to track what they watched in the cinema - it is almost always a placeholder for a title in a streaming service, and displaying an aspect ratio would then very often be wrong in relation to what the user have - so, we are not tracking picture specific details like this.

An argument that some information is not important (box office) is not really a useful argument :-)

Having trouble installing or upgrading to My Movies 5? Click here for troubleshooting.

andycob
Posted: Thursday, February 11, 2021 11:36:54 PM

Groups: Administration , Member, Moderator

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (136904)
Actually in many ways aspect ratio is NOT an inherent property of the movie as many movies are filmed in a ratio that differs to the one in which it is shown. The movie term is shooting 'safe', typically movies are often shot wider and higher than they are subsequently exhibited, and the safe refers to allowing for parts of the original shots being trimmed. Movies don't always even wind up always being screened theatrically in a consistent aspect ratio between countries so its not that simple. As the generic movie profile is a generic profile for the movie its entirely possible for that to be connected to the same film in multiple ratios, I have even seen the same movie in different aspects on different services and platforms. The argument is the same with sound, some services may have stereo some 5.1 and so on. The aspect just isn't fixed when not dealing with a specific release hence as Brian says it really has to come under personal info as it simply isn't consistent.
deprongmori
Posted: Tuesday, March 2, 2021 1:52:38 AM

andycob wrote:
Actually in many ways aspect ratio is NOT an inherent property of the movie as many movies are filmed in a ratio that differs to the one in which it is shown. The movie term is shooting 'safe', typically movies are often shot wider and higher than they are subsequently exhibited, and the safe refers to allowing for parts of the original shots being trimmed. Movies don't always even wind up always being screened theatrically in a consistent aspect ratio between countries so its not that simple. As the generic movie profile is a generic profile for the movie its entirely possible for that to be connected to the same film in multiple ratios, I have even seen the same movie in different aspects on different services and platforms. The argument is the same with sound, some services may have stereo some 5.1 and so on. The aspect just isn't fixed when not dealing with a specific release hence as Brian says it really has to come under personal info as it simply isn't consistent.

Question: Someone populated all of the films included in Criterion's "Essential Fellini" box set (barcode 715515252515) with child "Movies" rather than full child "Titles". Where is the Aspect Ratio of each of the films captured?

Ancillary question: How would one go about creating a updated box set which uses child "Titles" rather than child "Movies" so that the Aspect Ratio is included in the records for the box set? Is this possible? What is the process? Thanks.
binnerup
Posted: Tuesday, March 2, 2021 7:32:27 AM

deprongmori wrote:

Question: Someone populated all of the films included in Criterion's "Essential Fellini" box set (barcode 715515252515) with child "Movies" rather than full child "Titles". Where is the Aspect Ratio of each of the films captured?

Ancillary question: How would one go about creating a updated box set which uses child "Titles" rather than child "Movies" so that the Aspect Ratio is included in the records for the box set? Is this possible? What is the process? Thanks.

It is not on the child movies option - this option is available as an easier step to mark which movies a box set parent contains, and it can be added from the mobile apps because it is less complex.

It still is considered just a middle way until contributing a full box set.

You would simply remove these mappings and contribute as a full box set as normal.