Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

lanuage 2.0 Mono Options · View
briamacg
Posted: Wednesday, September 22, 2021 9:57:01 AM
Groups: Member

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (7125)
Hey there,

On a couple of my DVDs the languages ​​are listed in 2.0 mono. Unfortunately, "Mono" cannot be selected. What do I choose instead?

In addition, "2.0 Surround" is displayed on a current DVD. With "Dolby Sorround" you can only select 3.0 and 4.0. What is right?
andycob
Posted: Monday, September 27, 2021 4:19:17 PM

Groups: Administration , Member, Moderator

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (138721)
There is a specific 2.0 mono option I think for audio. Essentially 2.0 (mono) means rather than a single 1.0 mono track which usually feeds the center speaker the original single track mono audio has been encoded on both the left and right stereo channel.

2.0 Surround is a case of poor labelling. Technically all Dolby Surround is encoded as 2.0 stereo so it can be played back on any device as simple stereo, or if fed to a dolby surround decoder extracted to 3.0 or 4.0 Though even there I have seen examples of labelling or encoding issues, Dolby surround 3.0 should indicate a left, right and rear channel and 4.0 left, center, right and rear but I have seen left, center, right with no rear listed as 3.0 which I believe shouldn't even exist. To correctly specify the audio on such an improperly labelled disc you would have to play the disc feeding the audio to a dolby decoder and check what the audio actually decodes as or there used to be various bit of software that would read the specs off the disc that might indicate the encode, I used to have something i think but not used it in so long I don't remember a name right now.