Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Question on using Collections Options · View
klpaint
Posted: Saturday, January 1, 2022 10:09:01 PM
Groups: Member

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (2500)
Where can I find detailed instructions on how Collections are supposed to work? I purchased the new IOS MyMovies app where I saw Collections and I started implementing them on my MyMovies Windows Server. I am really struggling trying to figure out how to connect added movies in the collections to my actual movies. It has worked for many but as an example, I have a collection of of the Jurassic Park movies. It added all of the movies except Jurassic Park III. All of the movies are listed in Disc Titles but for some reason "Collections" doesn't see Jurassic Park III.

If I go into the collection and tell it to add it, it tells me the movie doesn't exist and creates a new Jurassic Park III under the "Movies" section (my entire collection is under the "Disc Titles"). I am fine if it puts the one move under "Movies" but I can't see anywhere in that to point it to the actual folder where the movie exists. If I could add the Folder to what it creates under the "Movies" section it would work but I can't figure that out.

I have spent hours on this and I think I am missing the basics and I can't figure it out. I have added and deleted the title so many times but I can't seem to connect the actual movie in the Folder to the Collection.

Is there somewhere I can go to read how this is supposed to work? Anyone else run into this when building Collections?

Thanks,

Kevin
sventheskull
Posted: Sunday, January 16, 2022 3:36:18 AM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (2649)
mbarnstijn
Posted: Sunday, January 16, 2022 5:37:33 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (117868)
Hey @sventheskull, thanks for helping out. I thought I would point out that I believe @klpaint is talking about the new "Movie Collection" feature in My Movies that allows you to gather related titles together into a single Movie Collection. That's a really cool new feature since the Windows Collection Management app version 5.30. You can gather together all your different versions of the Terminator movies, for example, so the DVD, Blu-ray and 4K titles are all together in one place.

In the Windows app, you can use an existing Movie Collection when you Add Title->By Title, Select "Movie Collection" from the pull down menu for Type. You can create a completely new Movie Collection when you Add Title->By Manual Typing and select Type of Movie Collection. If you create a completely new Movie Collection this way you can keep it personal and do it however you want, or you can contribute it to share your idea of how the collection should be with everyone.

Cheers,

--michael
sreine
Posted: Saturday, February 26, 2022 1:53:51 AM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (1559)
I can't seem to access this link. Something about javascript
mbarnstijn
Posted: Saturday, February 26, 2022 1:48:55 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (117868)
The "Movie Collection" title type is only for information purposes. Movie Collection titles cannot be used to store any information about media files, and cannot be used to control media playback.

See my question to the developers, and their response, here: https://www.mymovies.dk/forum.aspx?g=posts&t=46760

I hope that answers your question.

--michael
sreine
Posted: Saturday, February 26, 2022 9:38:27 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (1559)
https://www.mymovies.dk/forum.aspx?g=posts&t=46760 does not work. I can not watch this.
mbarnstijn
Posted: Saturday, February 26, 2022 10:19:22 PM

The link works for me using Google Chrome. I'm not sure why it wouldn't work for you. It should take you to a message thread in the forum.

Can you try to copy and paste the link text directly into your browser URL, instead of clicking it?

Or, you can search this Forum in the past 2 months for posts by my user name "mbarnstijn" You should find the forum thread there, it's called "Movie Collection Title Type."

Or, search the forum for the text "Movie Collection Title Type" using "Match Exact Phrase".

Any one of those methods should find the forum message thread in Support.

Sincerely,

--michael

sreine
Posted: Monday, February 28, 2022 6:06:24 AM

The Camtasia Studio video content presented here requires a more recent version of the Adobe Flash Player. If you are you using a browser with JavaScript disabled please enable it now. Otherwise, please update your version of the free Flash Player by downloading here.

This is all i get when I try to watch the How-to videos. Any suggestions?
mbarnstijn
Posted: Monday, February 28, 2022 5:00:30 PM

I don't know how to do that, no. I've never looked at the How-To videos since Flash Player was removed from all the browsers in the world.

I thought you were asking me how to look at the forum thread that I started that talks about using Collections, and has the developer's response on what Collections are used for. There aren't any videos in that forum thread.

--michael
sreine
Posted: Wednesday, March 2, 2022 3:51:01 AM

Thank you for answering. This is very frustrating. It would be helpful if the how-to videos were on YouTube or changed the format. The written instructions don't cover everything.