Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Any plans to go away from SQL Server? Options · View
denalb
Posted: Tuesday, May 17, 2022 2:58:27 PM

Groups: Member

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (566)
Some month ago I tried "My Movie" and because of all the installed Microsoft SQL stuff I decided to remove it again... Now I'm trying it again and again a lot of SQL stuff is installed.

Actually, I'm using "DVD Profiler" and there is no SQL Server needed. I also tried other Movie-Collection-Software and no one was using SQL Server.

I'm using my gaming PC to manage my Movie Collection and want to avoid installing software that I don't need. So, are there any plans to go away from Microsoft SQL Server?

My Movie Collection
binnerup
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2022 6:09:34 PM

Groups: Administration , Windows RT/8 Discussion Group

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (156848)
denalb
Posted: Thursday, May 19, 2022 7:42:38 AM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (566)
Thanks. But I hope that you think about this in the future...

Yesterday, I troubleshooted half of the day because I was not able to reinstall "My Movies" after uninstalling it. It wasn't an issue with "My Movies", instead it was an issue with the former SQL installation. For troubleshooting issues with SQL, you have to be an IT expert. Yes, I found a lot of issues here in the forum, and also I found the answer, to reinstall the OS. But that can not be the solution.

I think I got "My Movies" to work again. Hopefully I don't have to reinstall it... Foot in mouth

My Movie Collection
binnerup
Posted: Thursday, May 19, 2022 8:27:27 AM

Groups: Administration , Windows RT/8 Discussion Group

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (156848)
It is not as simple as that - moving away from SQL Server would mean re-designing the full database structure and re-code all queries all around the software - it is a huge, huge project, and therefore not one we are considering.

But, granted, SQL Servers technical problems are the main support problems we have on the software.

Having trouble installing or upgrading to My Movies 5? Click here for troubleshooting.

Having a problem? Searching our Knowledge Base is always the first step.

How can I produce a log file in My Movies for Windows?

How can I fully uninstall My Movies for Windows
denalb
Posted: Thursday, May 19, 2022 8:49:58 AM

Thanks again for the detailed answer, Brian. :)

I know that switching to a new database is difficult. But maybe in the future it could be a possible step. ;)

My Movie Collection