Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Windows 8.1 RTM with Media Center Options · View
jantiedemann
Posted: Monday, September 9, 2013 8:27:55 PM
Groups: Member

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (2506)
Even with the actual Windows 8.1 Pro RTM (9600) with Media Center, "My Movies" still raise the "Start Menu Strip 1 Program has Stopped Responding" message. Hopefully the upcoming releases of MyMovie will investigate this issue.
binnerup
Posted: Monday, September 9, 2013 8:50:48 PM

Groups: Administration , Windows RT/8 Discussion Group

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (154467)
We have investigated this issue.

From these investigations, the problem is in something Microsoft have done, and we are unable to work around it.

It is surely something we will re-visit, but it may be that we will not be supporting Windows 8.1, simply because we technically cannot.

Having trouble installing or upgrading to My Movies 5? Click here for troubleshooting.

Having a problem? Searching our Knowledge Base is always the first step.

How can I produce a log file in My Movies for Windows?

How can I fully uninstall My Movies for Windows
schnederpelz
Posted: Monday, September 9, 2013 10:25:45 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (3297)
Same here - with Win8.1 RTM . Can you give hint what has been done by Microsoft ?

binnerup
Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2013 12:11:49 AM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (154467)
4xmeister
Posted: Wednesday, September 11, 2013 6:54:38 AM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (10)
It Works!! Indeed, as I read in another post. After upgrading from Windows 8 with Media Center to Windows 8.1 RTM & then upgrading to Windows Media Center again (required after the 8.1 upgrade). I then installed My Movies 4.05 Build 6 and got the "Strip 1 error" when trying to start My Movies inside of Media Center. I then went into Media Center Settings-Start Menu & Extras-Start Menu and UNCHECKED 'TV Series'. BINGO! That did it, I was now able to startup My Movies with no error inside of Media Center. I am a happy camper!! Your mileage may vary, let me know how it goes!
binnerup
Posted: Wednesday, September 11, 2013 7:29:19 AM

manni
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2013 1:08:17 AM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (8673)
This another bummer from MS...

Two questions:

- If you upgrade an 8.0 x64 Pro install with the MCE add-on installed and activated, do you have to reinstall/reactivate the MCE add-on? That's an incredibly poor upgrade experience!
- Brian you have tried disabling the TV series strip in MCE and that doesn't solve the issue?

I'm definitely not upgrading my htpc to 8.1 until that is solved.

Thanks!

MCE Win10 Pro X64 with MCE add-on / MM V5.31B2 / CMC / jRiver / LAV / madVR / nVidia 460.89
Ryzen 5950X / 4.5GHz / 32GB RAM / 2TB SSD PCI 4.0/ Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity 24Gb / LG 4K 28" / JVC RS2000 (N7) / Denon X8500H / Shield Pro 2019 / M9702 Oppo 203
MM Pro for iPhone 8 Plus and iPad Pro 11"
QNAP TS-809 48TB (8x6TB RAID6) + Qnap TS-859 48TB (8x6TB RAID6) + Thecus N5200 7.5TB (5x1.5TB RAID5)
+ Synology 72TB DS-2411+ (12x6TB RAID6) + Synology 72TB DX-1211 (12x6TB RAID6)
lenfords
Posted: Saturday, September 14, 2013 3:08:20 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (2513)
Hi Brian,

The direction you see your mymovies application going what is the best OS you would advise to install on a HP Mediasmart server. WHS 2011, Server 2012 Essentials or Windows 8.
djmaloney
Posted: Friday, September 20, 2013 2:09:32 AM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (2552)
So I am hearing that this will not be getting fixed? My Movies will not be supporting Windows 8.1
binnerup
Posted: Friday, September 20, 2013 10:29:13 AM

courtois
Posted: Friday, September 20, 2013 4:28:28 PM

Groups: Member , Windows Home Server

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (79662)
I manage to launch the application by pressing the « Cancel » button whenever the message pops up.

Usually after 2 or 3 times, the application launches.
robertneaves
Posted: Thursday, September 26, 2013 2:05:23 AM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (2567)
binnerup wrote:
djmaloney wrote:
So I am hearing that this will not be getting fixed? My Movies will not be supporting Windows 8.1

This might be the outcome.

Seriously? Having to wait for a patch, sure, but just giving up? That's ridiculous. Fix this!
binnerup
Posted: Thursday, September 26, 2013 9:03:18 AM

xandrian
Posted: Tuesday, October 1, 2013 11:21:47 AM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (5321)
That's not ok. I am a customer of Microsoft and I am also a customer of Binnerup. I do not care who creates this issue. I paid for the Windows and I also paid for MyMovies. I want a Windows that works and I want MyMovies that works. Windows and the MCE does also PowerDVD. MyMovies not. So your statement here is very rude and imo not ok!

Think about it or do you realy want to lose your customers?
binnerup
Posted: Tuesday, October 1, 2013 2:58:43 PM

You have paid for an application that supports Windows 7 and Windows 8 Media Center specifically.

It does not automatically include every future version of Windows.

We have spend many, many days trying to resolve this, and have requested Microsoft to look at the issue.

From our end, there is nothing more that we can do.

If Microsoft decides to destroy things in Windows Media Center, we cannot do anything about that.

Having trouble installing or upgrading to My Movies 5? Click here for troubleshooting.

Having a problem? Searching our Knowledge Base is always the first step.

How can I produce a log file in My Movies for Windows?

How can I fully uninstall My Movies for Windows
skar
Posted: Tuesday, October 1, 2013 4:21:21 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (2500)
xandrian wrote:
That's not ok. I am a customer of Microsoft and I am also a customer of Binnerup. I do not care who creates this issue. I paid for the Windows and I also paid for MyMovies. I want a Windows that works and I want MyMovies that works. Windows and the MCE does also PowerDVD. MyMovies not. So your statement here is very rude and imo not ok!

Think about it or do you realy want to lose your customers?

Don't you think that if it was fixable, then it would have been fixed. You have a solution and that is to go back to 7 or 8 on the media centre or hope MS fix it.
appleturnover
Posted: Tuesday, October 1, 2013 4:45:32 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (5306)
Windows 8.x users are lucky enough that Microsoft included Media Center. It was originally pulled from all 8.x releases until the wild complained enough and it became a paid add-in. I think you all should chill on your complaints about 8.x having issues with My Movies because your lucky enough to have Microsoft allow Media Center to be a part of Windows 8. As a software developer myself when a vendor says "Its not supported" you should believe them or if they can't fix it due to some OS issue that can't be worked around you should believe them. Hell, Microsoft isn't doing any new features or bug fixes to Media Center or so the rumor had it. In my mind Windows 8.x is Vista equivalent. Maybe Windows 9 will be better. Windows 7 was the last and best Windows release. I think Binnerup and the My Movies crew have been very accommodating with their Suite of Software.

With the future of Android Multi-User I bet there will be an Android PC with a better supported Media Center not to far in the future.

FYI: I concede that i may give incorrect feedback, but I will try to be accurate as possible

Window Server Details
Windows Server 2012 Stndrd R2 + ESS: ASROCK 970 Extreme, AMD FX-8300 8Core, 32GB DDR3-1600, 60TB Storage, My Movies for Essential Server 5.25 Pr1

My Movies Settings
RedFox AnyDVD (AutoUpdate Enabled): LifeTime License
Virtual Clone Drive: 5.4.8.0
Converter Primary Profile: 10. M4V - Universal High - 1080p, 5.1 and 2.0 Audio
Converter Secondary Profile: Disabled
DVD Format: VIDEO_TS Folders
Blu-Ray: ISO

Mobile Devices
Apple iPadAir 9.7: My Movies for IPad 2.x
Apple iPhone 6 Plus: My Movies for iPad/iPhone 2.x

Apple TV
Apple TV 2 64GB
Apple TV 2 32GB
Apple TV 4K 64GB

Plex
Monitors the Converted Folder

My Collection

* Installing and/or using AnyDVD is illegal in some countries. Users are themselves responsible for complying with local law when installing and using AnyDVD.

glennnz
Posted: Monday, October 7, 2013 10:36:46 AM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (2548)
Hi
Whilst I agree blame here towards binnerup would seem senseless and baseless - this still is very concerning and rings alarm bells for me; given microsoft response and apparent lack of continuing interest in media center.

Soon new computers will be 8.1 RTM only - these won't be able to use mymovies (currently anyway). This could have major potential impact unless microsoft fixes and could signal a (early) dead-toll for WMC and by association Mymovies.

I would have thought that there needs to be directed, informed pressure from us all towards microsoft as to how this has occurred and to fix asap. If their answer is "we don't care about WMC" then I afraid in the medium-term we're all screwed.

Glenn
manni
Posted: Monday, October 7, 2013 11:36:22 AM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (8673)
The whole 8.x branch of windows is a dead-end as far as I'm concerned, and it has nothing to do with MyMovies being unable to support 8.1 due to MS reckless decisions:(.

I had upgraded to 8.0 to benefit from the very minor improvements (slightly faster boot/shutdown, more flexible file copy, plus a few other minor things).
I had to find workarounds for the missing start menu (not the most difficult) so that I wouldn't have to see Metro again.
I had lost the ability to WOL from shutdown.
I had lost the NFS client support.
I had lost support of 24.00fps (due to windows 8, not Mymovies or AMD), apparently MCE in windows 8 only supports 23.976hz or 25hz, not 24.00hz, which is still supported by windows itself in the desktop.
I had lost support from some of my old but still perfectly working peripherals, like my Canon MP780 multifunction (printer works, not the scanner, at least not reliably).
All this for NO improvement at all for a mymovies/HTPC use.

Then it got worse when I tried to upgrade to Windows 8.1
It was impossible to upgrade and keep my documents where they were as you were forced to use a Microsoft account (even avoiding this at install still failed getting my documents)
I then lost even more features (look here for more http://www.howtogeek.com/167610/8-features-microsoft-removed-in-windows-8.1/):
The windows backup feature that I use all the time to image my disks was gone.
There is no safe-mode from boot! Can you believe that one? You have to have booted to enable safe-mode...
There is now snooping into the OS which reports to MS every single search you perform.

So I decided to stay with Win 8.0, thinking it would be my last windows version until they correct everything that has to be corrected.
But I then started having issues with software that worked perfectly in windows 7, like TMT 6. Hosed installations, inexplicable crashes etc
And then, best of all, I realized that in their immense wisdom they decided to cut windows 8.0 users from major updates to force them to upgrade to windows 8.1. For example, Explorer 11 (part of windows 8.1) is available for Windows 7 users, not for Windows 8.0 users. So unless you take the pathetic Windows 8.x evolution all the way to 8.1, you're left in the cold, unsupported.

So I decided to revert to Windows 7 Ultimate, their best OS to date by far. It's stable, it does more than Windows 8.x and it doesn't go into a direction that is pointless for desktop users.
And for a dedicated HTPC use, I lose absolutely nothing, I get all my features back and it works perfectly.

If this madness is not fixed by win 9.x, I'm simply leaving the windows OS for good.

So yes, some new PCs have windows 8.x installed, but if the vendor doesn't offer a free downgrade, it is still a much better solution to purchase the windows 7 version that suits your needs. For a HTPC use, it's the best windows OS IMHO, and the last one with full MCE functionality.

MCE Win10 Pro X64 with MCE add-on / MM V5.31B2 / CMC / jRiver / LAV / madVR / nVidia 460.89
Ryzen 5950X / 4.5GHz / 32GB RAM / 2TB SSD PCI 4.0/ Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity 24Gb / LG 4K 28" / JVC RS2000 (N7) / Denon X8500H / Shield Pro 2019 / M9702 Oppo 203
MM Pro for iPhone 8 Plus and iPad Pro 11"
QNAP TS-809 48TB (8x6TB RAID6) + Qnap TS-859 48TB (8x6TB RAID6) + Thecus N5200 7.5TB (5x1.5TB RAID5)
+ Synology 72TB DS-2411+ (12x6TB RAID6) + Synology 72TB DX-1211 (12x6TB RAID6)
appleturnover
Posted: Monday, October 7, 2013 1:38:37 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (5306)
I just hope Binnerup and crew doesnt decide to pull Windows 7 anytime soon in the near eon or two.

I dont think Microsoft will be able to recover from Windows 8. They were late into the phone industry (buying nokia isnt gonna fix that) and they were late into the tablet industry.(they screwed themselves by making them so expensive). no one is gonna pay nearly 1000 for an ms tablet when an android or ios tablet is half the cost.

This is also why I build my own PCs. Dont want to be limited to an inferior OEM Motherboard and BIOS. Most OEM desktops are limited to 8GB unless you pay a hefty upgrade fee to have more memory. HP and Dell are good at this. youll sped 80 dollars to go from 8 to 12GB when that stick of memory costs them $12.00.

Specially with the ARM version being so disconnected from its own software base.

FYI: I concede that i may give incorrect feedback, but I will try to be accurate as possible

Window Server Details
Windows Server 2012 Stndrd R2 + ESS: ASROCK 970 Extreme, AMD FX-8300 8Core, 32GB DDR3-1600, 60TB Storage, My Movies for Essential Server 5.25 Pr1

My Movies Settings
RedFox AnyDVD (AutoUpdate Enabled): LifeTime License
Virtual Clone Drive: 5.4.8.0
Converter Primary Profile: 10. M4V - Universal High - 1080p, 5.1 and 2.0 Audio
Converter Secondary Profile: Disabled
DVD Format: VIDEO_TS Folders
Blu-Ray: ISO

Mobile Devices
Apple iPadAir 9.7: My Movies for IPad 2.x
Apple iPhone 6 Plus: My Movies for iPad/iPhone 2.x

Apple TV
Apple TV 2 64GB
Apple TV 2 32GB
Apple TV 4K 64GB

Plex
Monitors the Converted Folder

My Collection

* Installing and/or using AnyDVD is illegal in some countries. Users are themselves responsible for complying with local law when installing and using AnyDVD.