Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Cover Art Submission Standards- read if you are uploading cover art Options · View
lostinva
Posted: Thursday, August 16, 2007 8:01:49 AM

Groups: Administration , Member, Moderator

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (431938)
After trying a few covers with my new scanner, I'm having very minor to no issues now using the recommended 600dpi, 24bit, tif settings. Guess I just had a crappy scanner. Time to resubmit some scans :-)
binnerup
Posted: Friday, August 17, 2007 12:16:56 AM

Groups: Administration , Windows RT/8 Discussion Group

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (131666)
bmoore
Posted: Saturday, March 15, 2008 8:19:17 PM

Groups: Member

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (3214)
Regarding the first rule:

Quote:
1. Scan the actual boxes with the bar code on the back, not outside slip covers for individual titles

Is this a hard and fast rule? The title "South Park - Imaginationland" (097368534544), has nothing but a picture and the bardcode on the actual box. The slipcover it came in however, has all of the "back cover" information such as plot summary, extra features, aspect ratio, etc. I believe that other entries may have the same problem, but I have the informarion for this title handy.

It seems that the slipcover would be more appropriate, but per the "letter of the law" the plain picture from the back of the disc case is officially "correct".

Any thoughts?

(Late edit)
Here are the images in question

bmoore attached the following image(s):
South Park back 1.jpg
South Park back 2.jpg

jebdmk
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2008 1:45:40 AM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (11086)
As a new member I've been reading as much documentation as I can. Why are you recommending 600 dpi scans when the Contribution Guide says the following?

"When contributing covers to a title, the program will automatically down-scale these to 150 dpi and a JPEG quality of 85 out of 100. This is done to ensure that users uploads and downloads only the needed informations to and from the WebService. The resulting files are typically from 200 to 300 kb per side depending on the content of the covers. This quality is choosen for users to be able to easily read informations from the back covers, and for the program to be able to identify barcodes, however the quality is not sufficiant for printing high-res covers."

binnerup
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2008 7:16:21 AM

Groups: Administration , Windows RT/8 Discussion Group

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (131666)
Because often, scanners make a better result with more details if the scan is in higher amount of DPI, and then downscaled.

It has to do with where the down-scale is done, and the quality of it.

Some scanners make terrible results.

Having trouble installing or upgrading to My Movies 5? Click here for troubleshooting.

Having a problem? Searching our Knowledge Base is always the first step.

How can I produce a log file in My Movies for Windows?

How can I fully uninstall My Movies for Windows
tracerx
Posted: Friday, June 13, 2008 2:54:55 AM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (58)
It might be worth trying the "surface blur" filter available in Ed Harvey Effects for Paint.NET (If you're using Windows). The software is free and did wonders on a cover I just uploaded (basically went from totally crappy due to moire to very nice). I used radius of 5 and threshold of 100. You can see the outcome on Dragon Ball Z: The Movie - The Tree Of Might(013023001091).
stephmovies
Posted: Friday, June 13, 2008 4:41:58 AM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (272)
This has already been mentioned...but I find that when scanning in items that are printed in any way, including DVD cover art, you should definitely check for a "descreen" option on your scanner to minimize the visibility of the originally printed dot screen (as a result, eliminating ugly Moiré patterns).
yodine
Posted: Friday, June 13, 2008 11:33:13 AM
Groups: Member , Windows Home Server

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (18115)
Well i don't agree with that.

I used to do that, but in the end you get blurred covers.

If you scan at let's say 400dpi without "descreen", you will get the "moiré" pattern, but it will be sharp. Then putting it to screen resolution, the "moiré" will disapear by itself like magic, while the sharpness will stay.

Now i do that for all my scans and i find the quality much better.

The trick is to scan at a higher resolution that the one you will use.
dbjorck
Posted: Friday, June 13, 2008 1:49:53 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (9231)
Hi!

I agree with Yodine. I tried for a while to use the descreen functionality, but noticed that it didn't help at all. Yes - it looked better on my screen, but after submitting to the webservice, and downloading it back, I noticed the result was worse than if I hadn't used the descreen function to begin with. You have to remember that part of the moiré effect you're seeing is a combination of the size you've chosen and your actual size and resolution of your own display. What might appear moiréd on your screen might not on another. The descreen function especially ruins covers where there is supposed to be a moiré or similar effect. When I stopped trying to improve the images before submitting, I got the best results.

Brgds

Danny
nicolson
Posted: Saturday, June 28, 2008 7:29:49 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (18858)
Hi im new too and ive been uploading images in jpg and since reading this thread i tried the tif file extension instead and they produced weird looking scans, i had the scanner set at 400dp. Ive went back to jpg at 200 and 300 which when you click to enlarge the picture look better and you can read all the information on the back.

My Collection
carlton bale
Posted: Tuesday, November 18, 2008 1:16:29 AM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (2789)
What are the guidelines for Blu-ray covers? I see an error message stating that 26.6 x 12.9 cm is required, but that appears to be the wrong aspect ratio for covers. I think a better error message would be "???? x ???? resolution @ 600 DPI".

Also, the error message should state which cover is incorrect, the front or the back. And the 26.6 x 12.9 cm seems to be a both-covers-at-once scan, which give a misleading dimension for someone scanning just the front or the back separately.
thompson
Posted: Monday, November 24, 2008 5:25:50 AM
Groups: Member , Windows Home Server

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (5043)
For Blu-ray of A Scanner Darkly (barcode 012569829664 Canada) I had a front cover at 600 dpi of 2942x3460 pixels (width by height) which went in fine. I had trouble with the Shining - but I just shaved a bit off the height, and it was fine.

http://c.mymovies.name/thompson
kalarso
Posted: Tuesday, December 23, 2008 5:02:48 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (230)
I am really trying to contribute cover art for various movies that have them missing. I want to enable some of the other features in mymovies, but I keep having problems with the scanning and uploading of my images.

First of all, I am using a Lexmark x4530 all-in-one printer/scanner/copier. As per this thread, I am using settings of 600dpi. I do not have interpolating settings or 24bit option, just color. After scanning I crop the image from the full letter size down to the actual cover size using the lexmark scanning software. I also click the "auto-fix picture" button to make the picture look a little bit better. At that point everything looks good to me, but per this thread I have been adjusting the image size to 2995 X 4312 pixels. When I do this the image that is uploaded to the webservice appears thinner than ALL of the other submissions by others. So by just cropping the image to the actual cover size and NOT resizing image to said pixels it looks a lot better, but I am still experiencing the "moire" pattern on my submissions, even when deleting the movie from my collection and then re-adding it.

Also when I save to .tiff the upload service doesn't recognize file but when I save as .tif it will upload. saving as .jpeg seems to work also, but I have been using .tif because of the first post in this thread.

Finally I am trying to upload an hd-dvd cover and it keep telling me that it is not in the proper size of 26.6cm by 12.9cm, and when I resize the image to 266mm by 129mm it cut out over half of the cover?

Can anyone help me with any of the above problems? Sorry for the long post, just wanted to provide as many details as possible to begin with.

Thanks
nick_rackham
Posted: Tuesday, December 23, 2008 5:42:35 PM

Groups: Member , Moderator

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (80551)
Hi, I'm not familiar with the lexmark, but there should be a preview option to check the image being scanned. If you select this option it should be possible to select only the cover and not the full glass scan? If you can select this option it is then easy in windows to rotate the image to the correct orientation. You do not need to crop or cut the front cover and rear cover to make 2 images, You can upload front and rear cover scans by selecting the "Select Front Cover" button in Collection Manager, then select the full cover scan and click "open" Collection Manager will then seperate the image into front and rear images at the correct ratio. Hope that helps

P.S. you should not be resizing and or manipulating the images in any way.

Thanks, Nick
kalarso
Posted: Tuesday, December 23, 2008 6:08:28 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (230)
thanks for your help, but how do I get the front and back into one image? can only scan one side at a time. Sorry, I feel like a moron cause I can't figure this out.
kalarso
Posted: Tuesday, December 23, 2008 6:32:02 PM

I am trying to attach the images
kalarso
Posted: Tuesday, December 23, 2008 9:40:05 PM

I finally got it figured out. Thanks.
nick_rackham
Posted: Tuesday, December 23, 2008 10:39:24 PM

Groups: Member , Moderator

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (80551)
Remove the paper / card cover from the plastic case :)

EDIT:- All working ok now?
riffraff
Posted: Monday, May 11, 2009 6:11:13 AM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (1258)
I'm new to My Movies and installed it on my VMC. I'd like to contribute to the Cover and DVD art collection but none of my hundreds of images are tiff, all are jpg's. Will they be accepted? Can I batch upload or do I have to rescan and individually upload?
signed
Riffraff
mattardo
Posted: Monday, May 11, 2009 2:54:07 PM

Groups: Administration , Member, Moderator

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (94727)
riffraff wrote:
I'm new to My Movies and installed it on my VMC. I'd like to contribute to the Cover and DVD art collection but none of my hundreds of images are tiff, all are jpg's. Will they be accepted? Can I batch upload or do I have to rescan and individually upload?
signed
Riffraff

It will accept jpgs, no problem. No batch loading of covers as contributions: it's good to check each cover you are submitting to ensure that they belong to the dvd you are submitting them to, their barcode matches, no website logos, etc.
Laughing

New to My Movies and confused? Start HERE - CLICK ME!

"One inch of joy surmounts of grief a span;
Because to laugh is proper to the man."
Rabelais