Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Cover Art Submission Standards- read if you are uploading cover art Options · View
sosuke3
Posted: Monday, July 20, 2009 4:18:43 PM
Groups: Member

Joined: 7/19/2009
Posts: 1

Rank:
Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (12)
What should we do when the barcode isn't on the back? In the case of 大日本人(dainipponjin) the barcode is on the bottom of the box.
mattardo
Posted: Monday, July 20, 2009 10:07:09 PM

Groups: Administration , Member, Moderator

Joined: 10/17/2006
Posts: 2,448
Location: Sarasota, Florida, USA

Rank:
Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (94727)
sosuke3 wrote:
What should we do when the barcode isn't on the back? In the case of 大日本人(dainipponjin) the barcode is on the bottom of the box.

That's a tricky one - because we moderators need a method of determining whether a back cover is legitimate and the barcode helps us. If we can verify the barcode of the covers independently, then it's okay - if not, it kind of sits there waiting to be confirmed until we decide to deny it or ask questions of the user to help us.

You may scan the back cover to include the barcode on the bottom and submit it, file an error report on the title explaining why you are doing so (do this immediately after you submit the cover) and then mention that once it has been seen by a moderator you can submit the actual cover or we can crop it and resubmit it. That's probably the best method, I think. It removes any doubt from the process.

There are some titles we can independently verify, and then there are some we cannot - so it becomes difficult sometimes. Filing an error report is the best method to alert us.

New to My Movies and confused? Start HERE - CLICK ME!

"One inch of joy surmounts of grief a span;
Because to laugh is proper to the man."
Rabelais
rampant ninja
Posted: Saturday, August 01, 2009 9:41:07 PM

Groups: Member

Joined: 8/1/2009
Posts: 7
Location: London

Rank:
Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (996)
iansilv wrote:
If you are submitting new cover art for disks you own, only submit it with the following specs:

1. Scan the actual boxes with the bar code on the back, not outside slip covers for individual titles

Example- Lion King, Alice in Wonderland and other Disney movies often have a slip cover on the outside. Do not scan this, as it is often optional and later copies of the release do not have it on the disk cover when you buy it in the store.

2. Scan it to a .tiff file. This file format does not compress the image at all, so when you upload, you will have the highest possible source image for the web service conversion.

3. Scan it at 600dpi with a bit depth of 24 for color. DO NOT use the interpolated settings- you must use a scanner that has an optical resolution of at least 600dpi. Nearly all scanners have this. And scan at the full 24 bit color setting on your scanner.

4. Scan at a resolution of 2995 x 4312 pixels. This size file is quite large, but the quality is worth it. IF you need to adjust the image in photoshop, that is fine. If you need to trim off a very slight amount of edge to make for a cleaner cover art, that is fine as well. Because this is a large image, when it is uploaded and made in to a jpg, the highest possible quality will still come through.

Very soon covers will be locked down to a specific barcode, so these high quality imgges will never be lost by someone else's bad submission. Many thanks to Auckland for these scanning specs that he mentioned in another post.

Any questions abotu this process please post here in this thread.

Thank you

Hi I'm new to this MyMovies and am very keen to get my library going, so on my second DVD I noticed that it was marked 100% but improvable Front cover, Back Cover and Chapters. After reading your post above I scanned my cover at 600DPI and added to the movie, Barcode: 5060034573326 (Pom Poko)

I noticed that the 250DPI downscale makes text very jagged which obviously will now be a problem only for me; as users who download my cover will see a nicely scaled JPEG version instead. But my problem lies with the contribution wiki which recommends 250DPI for scanning; I assume that will stop small text from being difficult to read. Is 250 DPI acceptable then?

Slightly off topic but how do I edit chapters, I see no fields for Chapter Data?

Oh otherwise great software BTW, im going to run some test on my 360 with MCE and should they pass ill make a donation (now im keen to get backdrops ^_-)
binnerup
Posted: Sunday, August 02, 2009 10:02:34 AM

Groups: Administration , Windows RT/8 Discussion Group

Joined: 2/1/2005
Posts: 46,746
Location: Aarhus, Denmark

Rank:
Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (131686)
You are allowed to scan in whatever DPI you would like - the system stores in 250 DPI in your local collection, and 150 DPI for the webservice.

The reason we recommand 250 dpi is because you then get the highest possible resolution for your local cover.

And, scanning in a higher resolution than the 150 dpi the webservice holds, causes varios scan artifects to be lower after the rescale on most scanners.

Chapeters are edited by re-reading the Disc Id from the disc.

Having trouble installing or upgrading to My Movies 5? Click here for troubleshooting.

Having a problem? Searching our Knowledge Base is always the first step.

How can I produce a log file in My Movies for Windows?

How can I fully uninstall My Movies for Windows
rampant ninja
Posted: Sunday, August 02, 2009 11:25:54 PM

Groups: Member

Joined: 8/1/2009
Posts: 7
Location: London

Rank:
Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (996)
binnerup wrote:
You are allowed to scan in whatever DPI you would like - the system stores in 250 DPI in your local collection, and 150 DPI for the webservice.

The reason we recommand 250 dpi is because you then get the highest possible resolution for your local cover.

And, scanning in a higher resolution than the 150 dpi the webservice holds, causes varios scan artifects to be lower after the rescale on most scanners.

Chapeters are edited by re-reading the Disc Id from the disc.

Thanks I've been scanning at 600 which is slow but then I use Photoshop to do a downscale and crop to a more reasonable 250/300 This does remove the problem I was experiencing with jagged text and results in a very crisp cover. In fact its hard to tell on some that it is a scan(looks as clean as promotional artwork or the like). I added a chapters for about 6 discs to the web service then I realised how tedious it is for such little gain. Why is there no points reward for the chapters?

A sample of what it would look like on the webservice:
http://www.pixelsnap.co.uk/images/Example1.jpg
http://www.pixelsnap.co.uk/images/Example2.jpg

should be good?
mattardo
Posted: Monday, August 03, 2009 3:22:28 AM

Groups: Administration , Member, Moderator

Joined: 10/17/2006
Posts: 2,448
Location: Sarasota, Florida, USA

Rank:
Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (94727)
rampant ninja wrote:
I added a chapters for about 6 discs to the web service then I realised how tedious it is for such little gain. Why is there no points reward for the chapters?


That is because it is too easy for the more unscrupulous users among us to just fill in blank chapters merely for points. The reasoning is that if you really care about the future Chapter Selection feature, you'll do it even if you don't get points. I know it's alot of work for no points gain... Embarassed

New to My Movies and confused? Start HERE - CLICK ME!

"One inch of joy surmounts of grief a span;
Because to laugh is proper to the man."
Rabelais
rampant ninja
Posted: Monday, August 03, 2009 4:54:10 PM

Groups: Member

Joined: 8/1/2009
Posts: 7
Location: London

Rank:
Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (996)
mattardo wrote:
rampant ninja wrote:
I added a chapters for about 6 discs to the web service then I realised how tedious it is for such little gain. Why is there no points reward for the chapters?


That is because it is too easy for the more unscrupulous users among us to just fill in blank chapters merely for points. The reasoning is that if you really care about the future Chapter Selection feature, you'll do it even if you don't get points. I know it's alot of work for no points gain... Embarassed
Ah, makes sense; since it's for a feature I'll continue adding anyhow then.
roberte
Posted: Friday, January 01, 2010 3:35:36 PM
Groups: Member

Joined: 11/27/2009
Posts: 21

Rank:
Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (3156)
Is there a way to have the Collection Manager filter titles to just show those that have improvable covers, need descriptions, etc?
tuner
Posted: Saturday, January 09, 2010 11:16:23 AM

Groups: Member

Joined: 12/1/2009
Posts: 18
Location: Guam

Rank:
Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (1997)
mattardo wrote:
rampant ninja wrote:
I added a chapters for about 6 discs to the web service then I realised how tedious it is for such little gain. Why is there no points reward for the chapters?


That is because it is too easy for the more unscrupulous users among us to just fill in blank chapters merely for points. The reasoning is that if you really care about the future Chapter Selection feature, you'll do it even if you don't get points. I know it's alot of work for no points gain... Embarassed


A liitle off subject .... I understand about "caring" because I want my titles to say 100%. As I'm new with MM, I've been very active lately with submissions and reporting as I get my collection straight. But I disagree with the answer that "it's too easy for the more unscrupulous users among us to just fill in blank chapters merely for points" as a viable reason for not giving them for completing titles. If someone is being "unscrupulous" then they will get caught and reported. Reward the effort it takes to make chapter submissions complete. It is tedious and I've been completing them ( thanks to Scott's suggestion "I would encourage you to take the extra step to complete to 100% titles which you are reporting") as I update titles and it would be nice to get a little bump for the effort.
medwynd
Posted: Sunday, May 02, 2010 10:52:24 PM
Groups: Member

Joined: 4/21/2010
Posts: 71

Rank:
Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (3516)
Wanted to get a review of a cover I just redid, I think they it is good quality but could be a bit crisper and trying to nail down my technique.

I am using a HP OfficeJet 6310. I use GIMP to acquire the image via TWAIN and scan in at 600 dpi through the HP scanning software.
Then I run a gaussian blur on it to remove any moire pattern then crop etc.

Bar code: 043396102392
lostinva
Posted: Monday, May 03, 2010 9:42:38 AM

Groups: Administration , Member, Moderator

Joined: 7/18/2007
Posts: 3,930
Location: Virginia

Rank:
Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (431938)
You may not really need to run a blur on it. I used to think this was necessary, but Collection Management already does a good job when downscaling scans to 250dpi (for local) and 150dpi (for WebService).
curtisb
Posted: Tuesday, May 04, 2010 4:31:57 AM
Groups: Member

Joined: 1/2/2008
Posts: 243

Rank:
Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (10910)
Agreed, I wouldn't blur anything as it just artificially reduces quality. The automatic reduction MM does is more than enough.
davebey
Posted: Thursday, June 24, 2010 2:16:24 AM
Groups: Member

Joined: 4/24/2010
Posts: 3
Location: Claremore, Oklahoma

Rank:
Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (14)
I'm following the guidelines posted on the first page of this thread to re-scan some rejected box art and wanted to confirm something...

Using an HP ScanJet 8250, scanning at 600dpi, and scanning to .tif, the resulting file size is 36.4 MB for a 4302 x 2425 image. Does this sound correct and is this what is to be uploaded? The original file I submitted was a 1.63 MB 2654 x 1495 .jpg file. The 1.63MB file size is a bit more manageable at my connection speed.

Cheers from Clarmore, OK!
Dave
lostinva
Posted: Thursday, June 24, 2010 5:18:29 AM

Groups: Administration , Member, Moderator

Joined: 7/18/2007
Posts: 3,930
Location: Virginia

Rank:
Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (431938)
Scanning in .tif format is definitely preferred, but the image is downscaled by Collection Management before you upload so you aren't uploading 36MB images...

Was this about the A-team cover art you submitted? It was declined because there seemed to be something wrong with it... I couldn't view it tried to screen it for approval.
justme2
Posted: Saturday, January 15, 2011 7:39:55 PM
Groups: Member

Joined: 1/9/2011
Posts: 4

Rank:
Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (66)
iansilv wrote:
If you are submitting new cover art for disks you own, only submit it with the following specs:

1. Scan the actual boxes with the bar code on the back, not outside slip covers for individual titles

Example- Lion King, Alice in Wonderland and other Disney movies often have a slip cover on the outside. Do not scan this, as it is often optional and later copies of the release do not have it on the disk cover when you buy it in the store.

2. Scan it to a .tiff file. This file format does not compress the image at all, so when you upload, you will have the highest possible source image for the web service conversion.

3. Scan it at 600dpi with a bit depth of 24 for color. DO NOT use the interpolated settings- you must use a scanner that has an optical resolution of at least 600dpi. Nearly all scanners have this. And scan at the full 24 bit color setting on your scanner.

4. Scan at a resolution of 2995 x 4312 pixels. This size file is quite large, but the quality is worth it. IF you need to adjust the image in photoshop, that is fine. If you need to trim off a very slight amount of edge to make for a cleaner cover art, that is fine as well. Because this is a large image, when it is uploaded and made in to a jpg, the highest possible quality will still come through.

Very soon covers will be locked down to a specific barcode, so these high quality imgges will never be lost by someone else's bad submission. Many thanks to Auckland for these scanning specs that he mentioned in another post.

Any questions abotu this process please post here in this thread.

Thank you



I have a question regarding scanning of materail. Above says to scan the actual boxes, that seems fine for DVDs, but does this apply also for Blu Ray cases?
I have noticed that the Blu Ray titles seem a little distorted on some cover arts because the cover art insert was removed and scanned without the case. This produces the clearest image because the insert can lay flat on the scanner glass, but the insert (at least on most of the Blu Rays I own) are of a different size/dimmension than traditional DVD title art inserts (I think most DVD art inserts are the same size as the case, many of my Blu Ray cases have a narrow art insert that is much smaller than the case). When resized to fit the pixel resoultion above, the image becomes distorted.
If I scan the Blu Ray case as is with the Cover Art in the case, then resulting aspect ratio is closer to the specs above, but quality seems to suffer because of the clear plastic protection film of the case.

I Guess my questions are:
. 1) Should art be scanned while in the case, or out of the case?
. 2) Does the answer to #1 apply for both DVD and Blu Ray?
. 3) If permissable to remove the art insert from case for scanning, should there be different aspect ratios for DVD & Blu Ray Art?

For example:
I have a standard DVD title case that measures 7.5in high by 5.375in wide (aspect ratio ~ 0.717). (Art insert is same size as case)
I have a Blu Ray title case that measures 6.75in high by 5.375 in wide (aspect ratio ~ 0.796). (Art insert is only 5.875in high ~ ratio 0.914, smaller than case)

Thanks,


lostinva
Posted: Saturday, January 15, 2011 8:25:22 PM

Groups: Administration , Member, Moderator

Joined: 7/18/2007
Posts: 3,930
Location: Virginia

Rank:
Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (431938)
Don't worry about matching the image resolution stated here... The system will resize the image on it own when the source is higher than necessary.

1) remove the cover art from the case when scanning it in most situations.

2) yes

3) the aspect ratio of the covers are usually different. If you try to upload a Blu-ray cover that does not fit the standard, a moderator will have to upload it for you instead because the system will block it.
justme2
Posted: Saturday, January 15, 2011 11:50:29 PM
Groups: Member

Joined: 1/9/2011
Posts: 4

Rank:
Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (66)
Thanks for the clarifications.

Do you think the system will ever be changed to support alternate standards for DVD vs Blu Ray covers?
lostinva
Posted: Sunday, January 16, 2011 1:33:23 AM

Groups: Administration , Member, Moderator

Joined: 7/18/2007
Posts: 3,930
Location: Virginia

Rank:
Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (431938)
DVD has no restrictions and will accept images of any shape. Blu-ray and HD DVD has them for a couple of reasons, but in general this issue with custom boxes affects a relatively small number of releases and is handled easily by attaching the cover art on the forum and sending a report to the moderators. I can't comment on whether Brian is planning anything to make the process easier.
oppy
Posted: Wednesday, January 26, 2011 10:56:45 AM

Groups: Member

Joined: 1/14/2011
Posts: 111

Rank:
Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (2850)
iansilv wrote:
If you are submitting new cover art for disks you own, only submit it with the following specs:

1. Scan the actual boxes with the bar code on the back, not outside slip covers for individual titles

Example- Lion King, Alice in Wonderland and other Disney movies often have a slip cover on the outside. Do not scan this, as it is often optional and later copies of the release do not have it on the disk cover when you buy it in the store.
[...]


So, should we contribute external slips or the actual cover art on the DVD case? A contribution of mine was declined because it was the inner cover.
BTW, I guess there are different scenarios
A. Both the inner cover and the outside slip have the barcode.
B. Only inner back cover has barcode.
C. Only outer slip has barcode.
lostinva
Posted: Wednesday, January 26, 2011 2:45:26 PM

Groups: Administration , Member, Moderator

Joined: 7/18/2007
Posts: 3,930
Location: Virginia

Rank:
Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (431938)
oppy wrote:
So, should we contribute external slips or the actual cover art on the DVD case? A contribution of mine was declined because it was the inner cover.
BTW, I guess there are different scenarios
A. Both the inner cover and the outside slip have the barcode.
B. Only inner back cover has barcode.
C. Only outer slip has barcode.


Declined because it was the inner cover? I don't understand why, it really could be accepted either way provided there is not some other reason (such as it didn't have the barcode). But as the guide states the inner cover is preferable because the slip covers are often first-run only. If the slip cover has different art than the normal cover, then it will turn out that the downloaded cover art it will not match what most users will expect to see.
Users browsing this topic
guest


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Main Forum RSS : RSS

Powered by Yet Another Forum.net version 1.9.0 (NET v4.0) - 10/10/2006
Copyright © 2003-2006 Yet Another Forum.net. All rights reserved.