Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Chameleon MediaCenter v3.1 is now available Options · View
z06frank
Posted: Sunday, December 17, 2017 11:03:55 PM

Groups: Member

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (1536)
Hi, great program I purchased the full version and I like it so far ! One question thought does it support MKV playback ? I get this error every time.

Thanks !

File Attachment(s):
Untitled.png (328kb) downloaded 27 time(s).

pauven
Posted: Monday, December 18, 2017 1:03:46 AM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (2576)
z06frank wrote:
Hi, great program I purchased the full version and I like it so far ! One question thought does it support MKV playback ? I get this error every time.

Thanks !

Hi Frank,

Glad you like MM Browser, thanks!

The current version does not support MKV.

The next version adds support for MP4's. Playback is not inside MM Browser itself, but rather it launches other programs to perform the playback. In addition to PowerDVD, the next version includes support for 'Movies & TV', the new media player on Windows 10.

What programs do you currently use to play MKV's? I can look at adding this capability to a future version.

Paul

Chameleon MediaCenter (CMC) v3.1 - Finally for My Movies, a MCE replacement for Windows 10, plus a Music Library!
z06frank
Posted: Monday, December 18, 2017 1:58:21 AM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (1536)
Hi Paul,

I currently use PowerDVD17 to play my MKV files.

Thanks
gilles2
Posted: Monday, December 18, 2017 9:54:00 PM

Groups: Member , Windows Home Server

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (10983)
Hi Paul,

Did you have a look at VLC as a player? I am not an expert, but from what I know, VLC is free and should be relatively easy to launch through API, and it plays lots of available formats, including DVD (on disk or on Video_TS files)
pauven
Posted: Tuesday, December 19, 2017 2:52:49 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (2576)
z06frank wrote:
Hi Paul,

Thanks

This should be a quick and easy add. I just resolved a problem with the new MP4 code, so now I'll look at including MKV's too.

gilles2 wrote:
Hi Paul,

Did you have a look at VLC as a player? I am not an expert, but from what I know, VLC is free and should be relatively easy to launch through API, and it plays lots of available formats, including DVD (on disk or on Video_TS files)

VLC is also on my to-do list, but it is a low priority until a customer asks for it. I have no way of knowing what users in the real-world are using to play movies, so I allow my customers to tell me what they need.

I use VLC myself, just not for movies.

Paul

Chameleon MediaCenter (CMC) v3.1 - Finally for My Movies, a MCE replacement for Windows 10, plus a Music Library!
karterjk
Posted: Tuesday, December 19, 2017 8:09:38 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (2601)
I haven't installed this yet, for the reason I am using an old Build of MyMovies (Build 4.04), will this be a problem or cause any issues you know of?

Now if you can add the Music, Pictures and LiveTV services it would be the perfect WMC replacement LOL
pauven
Posted: Tuesday, December 19, 2017 9:48:02 PM

karterjk wrote:
I haven't installed this yet, for the reason I am using an old Build of MyMovies (Build 4.04), will this be a problem or cause any issues you know of?

That's an excellent question! If I had to guess, I would expect problems if the mymovies.xml file format in 4.04 is different from the 5.x file format. I know that the format has changed over the years, I just don't know if the changes were backported to 4.x. This is actually something I had been wondering myself after seeing Binnerup's recent comment that 4.x will not be blocked, and performs faster as it doesn't include the online library feature. v4 users also cannot contribute.

Installing MM Browser is extremely easy (just unzip the file and run the program, no installation required). Give it a try and let us know.

Be sure to look in the "Logs\MM Browser Sync Error Log.txt" report after attempting to Sync - if it indicates that all the mymovies.xml files are bad/corrupted, then that probably means that v4 files are not compatible. It might also report that they are encrypted (don't recall when that change occurred), and if they are encrypted, there is nothing I can do.

If the v4 files are incompatible but still readable, then I might be persuaded to add v4 file support if I am asked nicely... ;)

karterjk wrote:
Now if you can add the Music, Pictures and LiveTV services it would be the perfect WMC replacement LOL

I know you kid, but don't think I haven't been thinking of this too. I was a big user of cablecard, and still miss the solution I had years ago. Now that cablecard is dead (it is dead, right?), not sure what options are even available.

I have looked at trying to integrate streaming services inside MM Browser (similar to a Roku). While in theory it should be possible, I'm not sure it is feasible unless you are a major company with lots of resources and clout.

What would be possible is for me to include a browser that opens web pages like Netflix, Hulu, YouTube. The problem is that these web pages are not designed for remote controls, so at best I'm saving you a couple mouse clicks before you have to break out the mouse and keyboard. Doesn't seem worth it.

I had also looked at integrating Windows 10 Apps (there's one for Hulu, for example). Originally when I looked, I hit some roadblocks, but I may have overcome those obstacles when I implemented the Windows 10 App 'Movies & TV' (in the next release). I plan to revisit this, as I might be able to make MM Browser a launching pad for launching Windows 10 Apps for streaming services.

As far as Music and Pictures - both would be relatively easy. In fact, in the next version I have a little surprise somewhat related to pictures...

Paul

pauven
Posted: Tuesday, December 19, 2017 9:53:02 PM

pauven wrote:
z06frank wrote:
Hi Paul,

Thanks

This should be a quick and easy add. I just resolved a problem with the new MP4 code, so now I'll look at including MKV's too.

Just wanted to follow up and say that MKV support has been added, and will be in the next release. MKV files are playable with both PowerDVD and 'Movies & TV', but I did find that 'Movies & TV' was playing the wrong audio track and wouldn't let me change to the correct track. That's purely a 'Movies & TV' issue, though, and has nothing to do with MM Browser.

I also wanted to mention that I built a new framework in my code that will allow me to add new file format support quickly and easily.

I'm moving the next version into final Beta testing. Expect it to land soon.

Paul

pauven
Posted: Tuesday, December 19, 2017 10:02:21 PM

karterjk wrote:

I was just thinking about your question again, and I probably should have mentioned that MM Browser itself should not cause any new problems. Primarily, MM Browser just reads the data in your content folders. Once you are up and running, MM Browser can write 3 files to each folder, but only if you tell it to. Those files are:

* MMB_Watched.txt
* MMB_NotWatched.txt
* MMB_WatchList.txt

These files are basically flags for MM Browser to track which movies are watched or not watched (locally overriding the My Movies Database value) and which are flagged in your local WatchList. I write the files to the content folders so that users with multiple PC's can stay in sync without a central database server.

None of those files should cause any harm to any other processes or your data, and they won't even be generated unless you press the 'Clear/ESC' button (toggle Watched status) or '*' button (toggle WatchList) on your remote/keyboard.

MM Browser NEVER modifies any of your existing collection data.

If you decide MM Browser doesn't work for you, just delete the program folder and it's gone - simple as that.

Paul

karterjk
Posted: Wednesday, December 20, 2017 5:15:51 AM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (2601)
pauven wrote:
karterjk wrote:

I know you kid, but don't think I haven't been thinking of this too. I was a big user of cablecard, and still miss the solution I had years ago. Now that cablecard is dead (it is dead, right?), not sure what options are even available.

I have looked at trying to integrate streaming services inside MM Browser (similar to a Roku). While in theory it should be possible, I'm not sure it is feasible unless you are a major company with lots of resources and clout.

What would be possible is for me to include a browser that opens web pages like Netflix, Hulu, YouTube. The problem is that these web pages are not designed for remote controls, so at best I'm saving you a couple mouse clicks before you have to break out the mouse and keyboard. Doesn't seem worth it.

I had also looked at integrating Windows 10 Apps (there's one for Hulu, for example). Originally when I looked, I hit some roadblocks, but I may have overcome those obstacles when I implemented the Windows 10 App 'Movies & TV' (in the next release). I plan to revisit this, as I might be able to make MM Browser a launching pad for launching Windows 10 Apps for streaming services.

As far as Music and Pictures - both would be relatively easy. In fact, in the next version I have a little surprise somewhat related to pictures...

Paul

I don't think Cable Card is dead Silicondust seems to be selling a ton of HD HomeRun Prime units for just that. Their software solution is not very good IMO.

Perhaps a Kickstarter program would give you the funding, I would support that and I know SD clientele would eat it up. SD would probably even give you a lot of programming tips. They are always looking for addon software platforms.

pauven wrote:
karterjk wrote:

I was just thinking about your question again, and I probably should have mentioned that MM Browser itself should not cause any new problems. Primarily, MM Browser just reads the data in your content folders. Once you are up and running, MM Browser can write 3 files to each folder, but only if you tell it to. Those files are:

* MMB_Watched.txt
* MMB_NotWatched.txt
* MMB_WatchList.txt

These files are basically flags for MM Browser to track which movies are watched or not watched (locally overriding the My Movies Database value) and which are flagged in your local WatchList. I write the files to the content folders so that users with multiple PC's can stay in sync without a central database server.

None of those files should cause any harm to any other processes or your data, and they won't even be generated unless you press the 'Clear/ESC' button (toggle Watched status) or '*' button (toggle WatchList) on your remote/keyboard.

MM Browser NEVER modifies any of your existing collection data.

If you decide MM Browser doesn't work for you, just delete the program folder and it's gone - simple as that.

Paul

The reason I haven't upgraded MyMovies, is because I have 10 machines I would need to upgrade (real hassle), and it all works great now so didn't bother.

I was going to try it on Windows 10, but 4.04 won't install there (to old), but I will try it on one of my 7 or 8.1 units and let you know.

****[UPDATE]****

well it didn't work, looks like it read everything just fine but then got this

here are the logs if you care to give them a look

logFiles.zip

****[END UPDATE]****

Thanks
pauven
Posted: Wednesday, December 20, 2017 3:34:40 PM

I looked at your log files, and two things stood out at me.

One, in the DebugLog.txt file, you can see normal processing up until this point:

Code:
  Processing Directory \\WDMYCLOUD\Movies\01 Directory - Movies\Adam
    Importing media \\WDMYCLOUD\Movies\01 Directory - Movies\Adam
    Reading XML file \\WDMYCLOUD\Movies\01 Directory - Movies\Adam\mymovies.xml
      Found Encrypted XML file. Trying alternate file \\WDMYCLOUD\Movies\01 Directory - Movies\Adam\mymovies.xml
    Found ENCRYPTED "mymovies.xml" in "\\WDMYCLOUD\Movies\01 Directory - Movies\Adam\mymovies.xml" (Last Updated 3/12/2013)
  Processing Directory \\WDMYCLOUD\Movies\01 Directory - Movies\Iron Man 2
  Processing Directory \\WDMYCLOUD\Movies\01 Directory - Movies\300
  Processing Directory \\WDMYCLOUD\Movies\01 Directory - Movies\Horsemen
  Processing Directory \\WDMYCLOUD\Movies\01 Directory - Movies\Celtic Thunder 2 - Christmas

My guess is that there is something in either the Adam folder, or more likely the Iron Man 2 folder, that is causing a problem, at which point the Sync process appears to stop working. I suppose it could also just be a new, previously undiscovered bug that was exposed by the large number of encrypted files.

But the second thing that stood out is a much bigger issue: those encrypted mymovies.xml files. Open one up and take a look, the data is unreadable. Also look at the Last Updated dates, most are 2013 or 2014. These are all very old files. I was hoping that perhaps the meta-data could be updated, but then I found this in the log:

Code:
Found ENCRYPTED "mymovies.xml" in "\\WDMYCLOUD\Movies\02 Directory - Movies\Simpsons Movie\mymovies.xml" (Last Updated 12/19/2017)

That XML was written yesterday, brand new, and is still encrypted. It looks like v4 is completely incompatible.

Sorry.

Paul

pauven
Posted: Thursday, December 21, 2017 2:17:21 AM

MM Browser v1.7 has just been released.

v1.7 introduces support for both MP4 and MKV video files. While I was updating the code to add this support, I also revised my code framework so I can add new file formats without changing my code again, so I'm ready for the next user request...

v1.7 also adds the Windows 10 app 'Movies & TV' as a player for MP4 and MKV files, though you can also use PowerDVD for them.

Another nifty new feature is the background-color aware fonts and graphics on the Covers screen. Previously, if you set the background to a FanArt image that was lightly colored or white, the text and graphics would disappear. Now, MM Browser v1.7 analyzes the artwork and adjusts the font and graphics to be black or white, whichever will be most visible. I still need to update the icon bar (in a future version) to be color aware, so it might be best to stay away from pure white backgrounds as the icons may disappear against the backdrop.

My favorite new feature in v1.7 is the Screensaver, which turns your FanArt into a beautiful slideshow. You can configure the slideshow start delay and interval times, plus toggle the movie titles on/off. Personally, I love to have the titles on so I can figure out some of the more obscure FanArt images. The movie title text is also background-color aware, which not only makes is readable against various background, but by also cycling between black and white text the anti-burn-in functionality of the Screensaver is further enhanced.

Like previous versions, there's some good bug fixes and cosmetic improvements. Big thanks to the many users who helped test the v1.7 betas and caught some big bugs before the public release.

For those wondering, episode support is still a work in progress and isn't ready yet, though the outlook is still good.

MM Browser keeps getting better and easier to use, and now even has some features not available with the Media Center My Movies Plugin - have you tried it yet?

Paul

fatfatnick666
Posted: Saturday, December 23, 2017 7:23:29 AM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (3195)
I like this replacement. I upgraded from TMT 6 to PowerDVD '17 and it works great with this on Windows 10 for me. I'm having a small problem with Box Sets though. I cannot get them to work at all. I'm getting an error window when I go to a box set say the Star Wars complete saga. It then has it as an empty box set. I've re-downloaded all the meta data to replace the XML files in MyMovies as I definitely had some titles not work but this and a couple other box sets I have do not work, they all get the same error. If you need the error I can post it tomorrow I just wanted to throw a quick reply on it just in case you know about it already and know how to fix it.
pauven
Posted: Saturday, December 23, 2017 2:02:39 PM

fatfatnick666 wrote:
I like this replacement. I upgraded from TMT 6 to PowerDVD '17 and it works great with this on Windows 10 for me. I'm having a small problem with Box Sets though. I cannot get them to work at all. I'm getting an error window when I go to a box set say the Star Wars complete saga. It then has it as an empty box set. I've re-downloaded all the meta data to replace the XML files in MyMovies as I definitely had some titles not work but this and a couple other box sets I have do not work, they all get the same error. If you need the error I can post it tomorrow I just wanted to throw a quick reply on it just in case you know about it already and know how to fix it.

I'm glad you like MM Browser, thanks!

I think I know the problem with Box Sets: there's 2 ways to configure them, and I'll call them the Good Way and the Bad Way. MM Browser is programmed to look for the Good Way, and I believe will generate this error when it finds the Bad Way. So, let me explain what each way means:

The Bad Way: In My Movies, a Box Set exists only as the Box itself, and any discs are directly on the Box (when you click 'Disc(s)' icon, every disc in the Box Set is configured here). I call this the bad way, because Actor & Crew information is not listed on the Box itself, so you loose all the Actors and Crew, and often loose the individual title info (synopsis, artwork, and more).

The Good Way: In My Movies, a Box Set exists as individual Titles, linked to the parent Box Set. When you click on the 'Disc(s)' icon, only the first disc will be configured, and that will be as an Online Folder and point to the location the Box Set cover info is to be stored, but not the actual discs themselves. I call this the good way, because since each individual Title also has an entry, they include the Actors & Crew, individual movie details like the Synopsis, Rating, Year, and also the individual artwork. You will see this if you click the '+' sign next to the Box Set in your left column, it expands to show each disc/title underneath it if it is the Good Way.

Unfortunately, My Movies doesn't force you to use either the Good Way or the Bad Way, and doesn't really explain the difference. I only learned the difference as I was programming support for Box Sets, and was finding that all the Actor & Crew info was missing. That's when I discovered that there were two ways to enter the data into your collection - and it doesn't even matter how it was submitted by previous users, My Movies allows you the freedom to enter it either way you want.

Anyway, back to that error you are seeing. I simply assumed that I was doing it wrong when I used the Bad Way, and that other users would already be using the Good Way. So I did all my programming for the Good Way, and even wrote the error message to indicate that the Box Set is Empty when you don't use the Good Way. I think I could be wrong in my assessment, though, as even the Bad Way is still valid, so perhaps it would be better to let it work even if it isn't the best way.

Now, here's the options for you:
1) I can add support for the Bad Way, so that you don't get the error message, and you can play your titles, but to be honest I think you will be missing out.
2) My recommendation is that you take at least one Box Set and reconfigure it to have individual titles listed inside the Box Set, then see how it looks in MM Browser. I think it looks really good this way, and once you see how good it can be, I don't think you'll mind changing your Box Sets.

Let me know what you think. Hopefully the above made sense, sorry if I confused you.

Paul

stansey
Posted: Saturday, December 23, 2017 9:08:29 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (3846)
stansey
Posted: Saturday, December 23, 2017 9:08:52 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (3846)
First of all, I want to thank you (I'm assuming this is Paul) for taking the time to create MM Browser. I've used My Movies since 2009 with huge success and was disappointed when I learned that Microsoft abandoned Media Center since I have over 1500 DVDs/BDs and it enabled me to network my movie collection so that I could watch it in any room without fetching a disc. I really like the look and feel of the app since it replicates the prior experience so well. Even better, I like the fact that it runs using PDVD which enables me to enhance the viewing experience in a way that I wasn't able to through Media Center.

I also purchased the full version of the app.

Here is where I need some help: I know this is an on-going issue with many on this forum, but I'm hoping someone can provide a simple explanation of what I can do to fix some of the data exchange issues between the app and MM. Specifically, I have a number of DVDs/BDs where the data transferred over just fine (year produced, actors, categories, film description, year produced, local title, the sorting title, etc.), but the vast majority do not. I saw on a different posting that I should try to update my metadata in MM and clean the metadata. I did that last night. Good news: it brought in a number of coverart that were not appearing before. Bad news: it really didn't change anything in terms of the data and organization of the titles, so the issues that I was having didn't go away.

In the end, it's really not the end of the world, since I can still access movies, but have to go through a process to find them if they are not listed as the "local title" and "sorting title" in the browser. As a matter of fact, most are listed as the ISO title or the title of the file structure folder, but in some cases it can be difficult to find the title - while Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone is listed as "SORCERERS_STONE," other titles like Little Mermaid is "LME0NNW1" or the BD version of White Christmas is simply "MOVIE" because I never bothered to change it.

I've attached my sync error log, which is quite long, but am hoping for a straightforward way to address this. My knowledge and computer savvy is pretty fundamental, but I can follow directions well, so any advice or step-by-step recommendations you can supply would be really appreciated.

Thank you.

File Attachment(s):
MM Browser Sync Error Log.txt (156kb) downloaded 22 time(s).

jkwaterman
Posted: Sunday, December 24, 2017 4:43:07 AM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (2726)
stansey wrote:
First of all, I want to thank you (I'm assuming this is Paul) for taking the time to create MM Browser. I've used My Movies since 2009 with huge success and was disappointed when I learned that Microsoft abandoned Media Center since I have over 1500 DVDs/BDs and it enabled me to network my movie collection so that I could watch it in any room without fetching a disc. I really like the look and feel of the app since it replicates the prior experience so well. Even better, I like the fact that it runs using PDVD which enables me to enhance the viewing experience in a way that I wasn't able to through Media Center.

I also purchased the full version of the app.

Here is where I need some help: I know this is an on-going issue with many on this forum, but I'm hoping someone can provide a simple explanation of what I can do to fix some of the data exchange issues between the app and MM. Specifically, I have a number of DVDs/BDs where the data transferred over just fine (year produced, actors, categories, film description, year produced, local title, the sorting title, etc.), but the vast majority do not. I saw on a different posting that I should try to update my metadata in MM and clean the metadata. I did that last night. Good news: it brought in a number of coverart that were not appearing before. Bad news: it really didn't change anything in terms of the data and organization of the titles, so the issues that I was having didn't go away.

In the end, it's really not the end of the world, since I can still access movies, but have to go through a process to find them if they are not listed as the "local title" and "sorting title" in the browser. As a matter of fact, most are listed as the ISO title or the title of the file structure folder, but in some cases it can be difficult to find the title - while Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone is listed as "SORCERERS_STONE," other titles like Little Mermaid is "LME0NNW1" or the BD version of White Christmas is simply "MOVIE" because I never bothered to change it.

I've attached my sync error log, which is quite long, but am hoping for a straightforward way to address this. My knowledge and computer savvy is pretty fundamental, but I can follow directions well, so any advice or step-by-step recommendations you can supply would be really appreciated.

Thank you.

Your log file is saying the your mymovies.xml files are bad.

You need to run a mymovies clean of the whole "D:\BluRay Movies" folder. Make sure that when the configure cleaning popup occurs that you checkoff the first 3 boxes too. You especially have to have it clean the mymovies.xml files. after that run an update through mymovies. Do the same for E:\Movies, F:\Blu-Ray Movies, F:\Movies, F:\New Films, G:\Blu-Ray, H:\3D Blu-Ray Movies, H:\Blu-Ray, H:\Movies, J:\3D Blu-Ray Movies, J:\Blu-Ray,J:\Movies, K:\3D Blu-Ray Movies.... through P:

To clean and update xml files:

In mymovies Collection Management
Tools > Settings > Meta-data > 'Clean stored Meta-Data files from a folder and sub-folders'
Tools > Settings > Meta-data > 'Update stored Meta-Data files for all titles in database'

I suggest you clean all your drives before running the update because an update takes so long to run, especially on a collection as big as yours. Good selection of movies by the way. Your collection just about matches mine in titles and size.Wink

Question: Are these usb, or hard drives, attached to your computer or mapped network drives? If they are mapped network drives, You should really not map them. This is not a MM_Browser thing, but a Mymovies thing.

pauven
Posted: Sunday, December 24, 2017 6:15:50 AM

stansey wrote:

You're very welcome, and thank you for the kind words! I'm glad you're finding it useful. I think MM Browser is now beginning to reach the point where it is actually better than Media Center in some ways, and it will only continue to improve. And yes, this is Paul.

stansey wrote:
Specifically, I have a number of DVDs/BDs where the data transferred over just fine (year produced, actors, categories, film description, year produced, local title, the sorting title, etc.), but the vast majority do not. I saw on a different posting that I should try to update my metadata in MM and clean the metadata. I did that last night. Good news: it brought in a number of coverart that were not appearing before. Bad news: it really didn't change anything in terms of the data and organization of the titles, so the issues that I was having didn't go away.

Yes, your metadata is exactly the problem. I'm not 100% sure what steps you took, but it appears that you missed a step.

First, a little backstory on why this is a problem for MM Browser, and why it isn't a problem for My Movies. Binnerup has changed the file format of the mymovies.xml files multiple times over the years, and for a while there they were even encrypted. None of this is a problem for My Movies, though, because it has full backwards compatibility, and can also read those encrypted files. So that mymovies.xml file written back in 2009 is still readable, and those encrypted files written in 2014 are just as readable. And that is the stance that Binnerup is taking, that these files are all fine (and that's true, they really are).

The reason MM Browser has a problem is that I only programmed the most recent file format. Partly because I don't know how many different formats existed and their official structure, and partly because there was nothing I could do with the encrypted files anyway. So I decided early on that I would only support the current file format, plus any future changes.

That means that all your mymovies.xml files need to be regenerated by My Movies to ensure they are the current file format. This is something you should only have to do once, to get everything compatible with MM Browser. Once you achieve this, all future My Movies additions and updates will use the current format and work with MM Browser.

I've also noticed that My Movies doesn't like to overwrite existing files unless there is a data change (you can force one if you update some Personal Data i.e. the Watched flag or a custom Category). So for these old files, which still look just fine to My Movies, it appears to refuse to overwrite them just in casual use, and often even when using the 'Update' method. So that's why we have to use the nuclear option: the 'Clear' option on the meta-data settings tab.

When you run a clear, it blows away everything you tell it to blow away. It acts like a gigantic delete button - it won't hurt your movie files, but it will delete both the meta-data and the artwork.

The good news is that once the files are deleted, then when you run an 'Update', My Movies will actually regenerate those files since they no longer exist.

This is the step you have missed - I can tell because I see in your log file that it complains about these mymovies.xml files, and even reports the dates way back from 2009 and 2014. If the files had been deleted, MM Browser would be reporting that the file was missing, not old.
Here's a snippet from the log file, illustrating the problem:

Code:
Found a bad "mymovies.xml" in "E:\Movies\AMISTAD\mymovies.xml" (Last Updated 1/29/2009)
Found a bad "mymovies.xml" in "E:\Movies\ANATOMY_OF_A_MURDER\mymovies.xml" (Last Updated 1/29/2009)
Found ENCRYPTED "mymovies.xml" in "E:\Movies\ANGRYMEN\mymovies.xml" (Last Updated 8/9/2014)
Found ENCRYPTED "mymovies.xml" in "E:\Movies\ANIMAL_HOUSE\mymovies.xml" (Last Updated 3/19/2016)

One additional challenge you might encounter is that some movies still don't update after taking the above actions. Typically when this happens, users discover that the title no longer exists in their My Movies collection. None of us have figured out how or why this occurs, but it is something to be on the lookout for. You may already have some of this occurring on your P: drive, where the mymovies.xml files are missing entirely:

Code:
Found an ISO file without a "mymovies.xml" file in Folder "P:\Movies\HONEYSHRUNKIDS_US"
Found an ISO file without a "mymovies.xml" file in Folder "P:\Movies\SNOWBALL_EXPRESS"
Found an ISO file without a "mymovies.xml" file in Folder "P:\Movies\THAT_DARN_CAT"
Found an ISO file without a "mymovies.xml" file in Folder "P:\Movies\SUMMER_MAGIC"

stansey wrote:

When I programmed MM Browser, I made it a first and foremost a media discovery tool. What this means is that it will find all playable media (ISO, DVD Folder, MP4 and MKV only, for now) in your monitored folders, even if they are not in your My Movies collection. When the mymovies.xml file is unreadable (for the above reasons) or non-existant, then MM Browser cannot use the real title from the XML file. In this case, MM Browser uses the folder name instead. So the names you are seeing are your folder names (and for multi-disc collections where you get to pick the disc to play, they are the filenames). Sometimes this works okay, and othertimes not so much, mainly depending upon how clearly you named your folders and files.

But this is just a fallback mechanism, so you can still play these files while you are fixing things in My Movies. This is not something you should have to live with, rather just a temporary band-aid I have provided to give you a basic level of access to your content.

I want to thank Jamie for helping and providing the nice, detailed step by step directions for the cleanup - please follow his directions.
It seems the forum server's database keeps going offline, near daily, and when I wrote the above several hours ago I was unable to post it as once again the DB was offline. It's nice to know that the MM Browser community is growing and supporting each other. Thank you!

One last thought on drive mapping: Technically, neither MM Browser or My Movies cares if the drive is local, network mapped as local, or network. But, whatever you do for My Movies, you MUST do the same for MM Browser. For example, if you have \\nas7\Movies\LA_STORY in My Movies, but P:\Movies\LA_STORY in MM Browser, then the file location that MM Browser sees will not match the recorded file location in the mymovies.xml file. This breaks some logic in MM Browser, and you will get bad results. One of my users recently had this issue, and it took a while to figure it out as it isn't the most obvious culprit.

Now, if you have multiple PC's all using the same NAS, I would say you want to use network file paths, and not mapped drives, so that ALL PC's see the same landscape (or at the very least, make sure that P:\ is the exact same target on every PC). Any variation at all is bad for both programs.

Paul

z06frank
Posted: Tuesday, December 26, 2017 3:22:58 PM

Thanks Paul,

My MKV files now launch as expected !
fatfatnick666
Posted: Tuesday, December 26, 2017 6:08:02 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (3195)
I'm on the path to fixing my box sets as I was able to fix one. I actually had mine set up both the "good way" and "bad way" if that makes any sense. I had the discs point to the ISO file in the parent box set but I also had the individual titles listed (and those also pointed to the ISO). I was using the X-Men Trilogy box set as a test. However, now when I fixed it up, MM Browser now shows the cover of X2 and not the cover for the X-Men Trilogy box set. I also noticed there is no XML file for the actual box set. There is a folder.jpg in the parent folder. So the way I have it is there is the parent folder 3 sub folders for each movie and each movie then has their ISO files and subsequently their meta-data. Is there a way to generate the meta-data for the parent box set or at least a way to set it?

If you need information just let me know and I will post it.

Also after a clean and update I now have a few titles that appear twice. One copy is just a blank box and the other is the proper cover. Both work launching the ISO. I haven't investigated the log file yet, which I'm about to start working on. I just had a baby and I'm scatter brained when it comes to fixing this. If I can't fix it myself I will update. Sorry for being a jerk.