Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

MyMovies Support for Egreat A11? Options · View
waffles
Posted: Saturday, January 06, 2018 1:48:49 AM
Groups: Member

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (2502)
Egreat has an interesting new product that has a lot of potential as a high end streamer: A11

Review at AVS

I wonder if the MyMovies team had any plans to support control of the player. I am particularly interested in the option to launch media files, incl. iso on the player directly from which the MyMovies iOS app, like it's possible for the 'old' Dune player.

I found this in the IP and RS232 protocol documentation"

Samba Play: IP Command & Description:
PLAY, smb: // admin: UserName @ xx.xx.xx.xx / ShareFolder / movie.mkv, END

binnerup
Posted: Saturday, January 06, 2018 7:09:26 AM

Groups: Administration , Windows RT/8 Discussion Group

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (52)
There are no current plans, and I do not think that it is something we will be adding, as there are other players that would get a higher priority in such case, such as the Zappiti players.

In general, we see remote launch as part of the remote control functionality, so it is not only the remote launch, but also a remote control option that would be needed here.

We have a bridge functionality on Windows where Windows acts as a bridge between the player and the mobile device, and since that is done as a DLL plug-in, it perhaps could be an option...

Having trouble installing or upgrading to My Movies 5? Click here for troubleshooting.

Having a problem? Searching our Knowledge Base is always the first step.

How can I produce a log file in My Movies for Windows?

How can I fully uninstall My Movies for Windows
waffles
Posted: Saturday, January 06, 2018 6:40:11 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (2502)
Thanks for your reply, Brian.

binnerup wrote:

We have a bridge functionality on Windows where Windows acts as a bridge between the player and the mobile device, and since that is done as a DLL plug-in, it perhaps could be an option...

Could you please elaborate on that Windows bridge option? Is there any documentation available that you could point to?

Thanks!

edit: found something in the knowledgebase

Interestingly, I found references to Oppo. I wonder if I can get the bridge to launch media files on the Oppo. That would make me VERY happy.
waffles
Posted: Saturday, January 06, 2018 9:13:05 PM

I did a bit experimenting with MyMovies and the Oppo. I was able to control the player through the 'integrated' Remote within the MyMovies iOS app. However, what I am actually interested in is to launch a media file on the Oppo, as it is possible on the Dune. No luck so far.

I found this in the release notes:

My Movies 5.22 Pre Release 1
Added: DVDFabPasskey option to messages of having a decrypter.
Added: Support for PowerDVD 16 through external players integration.
Added: Bridge Devices can now be added as plug-able dll files.
Added: Oppo bridge device, for remote control from My Movies mobile apps only. Remote playback not supported.

I wonder if what I am hoping to accomplish is actually not supported. If so, is there maybe a workaround?
binnerup
Posted: Sunday, January 07, 2018 8:16:00 AM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (52)
waffles
Posted: Monday, January 08, 2018 12:09:53 AM

It would be very much appreciated if remote playback for an Oppo (and/or maybe Egreat) was added.

With the discontinuation of MCE/Arcsoft, I retired my HTPC a few years ago. I also gave my Dune HD away, since the Oppo is a much more capable player. Big drawback however is that I since then I have only been able to use MyMovies as a standalone movie database; while before that, it was a closely integrated key component of my home theater control setup.
It would be so nice to get back to this level of sophistication and integration.
adidino
Posted: Wednesday, January 24, 2018 2:06:00 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (3667)
waffles wrote:
It would be very much appreciated if remote playback for an Oppo (and/or maybe Egreat) was added.

With the discontinuation of MCE/Arcsoft, I retired my HTPC a few years ago. I also gave my Dune HD away, since the Oppo is a much more capable player. Big drawback however is that I since then I have only been able to use MyMovies as a standalone movie database; while before that, it was a closely integrated key component of my home theater control setup.
It would be so nice to get back to this level of sophistication and integration.

Remote playback to the Oppo would be a fantastic option. There would be a lot of interest. Also, the EGreat seems to be gaining lots of popularity. I believe it's important to have other remote play options in addition to the Dune.

Tony

My Collection
adidino
Posted: Friday, February 09, 2018 5:52:56 AM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (3667)
Brian - are there devices devices support in the remote bridge that will do remote playback other than the Dune? The EGreat is starting to pickup some popularity (it's an Android based device) and Dune's next device expected in the middle of the year is also going to be an Android based unit.

Tony

My Collection
adidino
Posted: Friday, February 09, 2018 1:52:21 PM

Brian -

Just to add to this. The EGreat A11 supports full BD Menu and UHD Menu. I viewed the IP protocol docs and it appears to also support remote play. What is required to get it added to MyMovies as as a supported player. I believe it's in your best interest to consider supporting more players with remote play beyond the Dune.

Tony

My Collection
binnerup
Posted: Friday, February 09, 2018 2:00:05 PM

I believe that the event handling system at this point is actually lacking specifically remote play as the sole thing.

The point here is that we have typically combined the remote play with a full remote control option, because remote play by itself is not that difficult to do - it is mostly the connection part of the UI to the device, and the whole remote control part that takes long.

The benefit of the event handler in Windows is that it is just a bridge mimic'ing a Dune device....

The downside is that it targets very few users to have to go though a Windows device - it mainly makes sense for our server solution users.

I use the bridge myself for an Oppo in my own setup... but not the remote play part, as I am for most parts back to actual discs..

Having trouble installing or upgrading to My Movies 5? Click here for troubleshooting.

adidino
Posted: Friday, February 09, 2018 4:24:08 PM

binnerup wrote:
I believe that the event handling system at this point is actually lacking specifically remote play as the sole thing.

The point here is that we have typically combined the remote play with a full remote control option, because remote play by itself is not that difficult to do - it is mostly the connection part of the UI to the device, and the whole remote control part that takes long.

The benefit of the event handler in Windows is that it is just a bridge mimic'ing a Dune device....

The downside is that it targets very few users to have to go though a Windows device - it mainly makes sense for our server solution users.

I use the bridge myself for an Oppo in my own setup... but not the remote play part, as I am for most parts back to actual discs..

Not sure I understand.. So if the EGreat is added as a bridge device, will remote play work? If not, can we?

Tony

My Collection
thrang
Posted: Friday, February 09, 2018 4:33:42 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (2509)
binnerup wrote:

Hi Brian

I have no idea what you are saying here...can you clarify?

Bottom line is there is some fairly substantial documentation for IP control of the eGreat, including a Play To functionality.

More broadly, it makes no sense that much of your development does not focus on support for more remote players, including the Apple TV. To just support the Dune for a decade limits the appeal of your software, which could be the IDEAL front end for scraping, browsing, and playing files. Look at at Infuse on the iOS platform. You can't do that but even better?

Are you kind of done innovating the software? I mean how much more functionality can you add to the database features. Everyone under the sun is developing media players with their own scraping, and you are not leveraging your current superior position in that area. IMO, if you don't these standalone players make your software superfluous.

Its crazy to me you haven't done anything with remote functionality since, well, forever. Are you tied to Dune in some way that prevents you from developing support for other devices?
binnerup
Posted: Saturday, February 10, 2018 12:44:04 PM

Ok, let me clarify.

The Dune player, and the Windows Media Center solution is directly supported under the iOS and Android applications - they are supported with full mimic'ed remote controls, and can connect directly to the Dune player, or the Windows Media Center solution to remote control, and to remotely playback titles - the paths for the titles is stored in the online service as part of your user collections.

The implementation of such solution is substantial, as we have created graphics that matches the player, and implemented each player individually - at the time we did this for the Dune player, there was a lot of takers on such solution - today, there are not nearly the same interest in these solutions, and we therefore are unlikely to take in such full development for any player, including the Dune, if it would have had to be done today.

Then, in relation to supporting light control, volume control on receivers, input selection and all that under Windows Media Center, but also when using a Dune player, there was a solution created where the Windows solution could be used as what we call a bridge - so, the mobile device connects to the Windows machine, and the Windows machine connects to the player, the receiver, the tv, the projector, the light control solution and such, and basically sends the request from the player, and returns the response from the device.

In the example of a volume control, the mobile device connects to the Windows device, and sends a volume up command, the Windows device connects to the receiver and returns the response in a standard call, no matter which receiver it is - this is supported on most popular receiver models.

Since I myself used this setup, instead of implementing something fixed into the software, all of this was done though plug-able DLL files - I then added DLL files for the JVC projector, the receiver and the light control system I use in my cinema, and opened up for others to create DLL files for other device - the Mi Casa Verde is one example implementation like that.

At the time I started using an Oppo device in my solution, I was not ready to throw in the cost in development time to make a full solution in the mobile apps like the Dune and Windows Media Center player, so instead I used this bridge functionality to also create this as plug-able DLL files, where we made a few minor adjustments on the mobile apps, so that we could add a bridge device, meaning that I basically add a bridge device on the Windows side and configure it in the software, and the mobile app then presents the Dune player graphics, and for each button, the DLL file implemented just determines where that button goes on the implementation - this means that I have the Oppo player remote controlled, though this bridge implementations, but it is acting based on the layout of the Dune player in the mobile app - that is fine for me and many other people, as these players have about the same buttons anyway, and on top of that, we have a custom button functionality where each handler, if needed can present a custom button which the mobile app displays on a separate page on the remote control button.

So, currently, the DLL implementation for the bridge device (player) is not supporting remote playback, but it would make sense to add that - this is something I would need to do, but I would be able to do this based on the Oppo player, where it actually also is interesting, because some people can get custom firmwares opening these up to play Blu-ray ISO files, or, if your setup is based on MKV's it could work also.

The implementation of this remote playback option on the bridge device is something I would need to do, and while that is realistic, I would not have time to create DLL files for various players that I do not have in the office, and therefore there would not be anything for the eGreat, for Zappity or other players - but, if any of you had .NET development experience, or you team up with a .NET developer who has, it would be open for anyone to create a plug-able DLL file for the eGreat or other player.

The reason I mention that the audience for this is not super big is that it is not a solution where you can take a eGreat, Zappity or other player, and just use the My Movies mobile app along with it - you would need to have a Windows device always on, which operates as the bridge - so, it would be a solution for our server solution customers mostly.

Does all of this make sense?

binnerup
Posted: Saturday, February 10, 2018 12:58:23 PM

thrang wrote:
More broadly, it makes no sense that much of your development does not focus on support for more remote players, including the Apple TV. To just support the Dune for a decade limits the appeal of your software, which could be the IDEAL front end for scraping, browsing, and playing files. Look at at Infuse on the iOS platform. You can't do that but even better?

We have not done this because we unfortunately find that there is not enough audience for it, for what we can deliver - the cost of development is higher than what we can bring back in.

The Apple TV appeared to be a great opportunity for us, and we therefore put a lot of hours into an app here, but as we were not able to bring it to the level of functionality we would like for it to have, we sent it out as a free light solution, and even with it being free, we have very few users on it.

Specifically for the Apple TV solution, the main problem is that it by itself have limits on what it can play, and we therefore have had to implement our "own" player, meaning that we included an open source player, but licensing on the solution means that you would have to acquire Dolby and DTS licenses - we could use the build-in AC3 engine from the Apple TV, but we could not support DTS, TrueHD or anything like that without a license, with a huge cost, on something we cannot make money on.

Playback from iOS devices have bene Infuse's focus originally, and at some point, they ran into the same licensing issues, meaning they were forced to get such license, or shut down, and they therefore got the licenses, as this being their primary solution - the same licenses are now covering their Apple TV offerings.

Infuse has a great software, and yes, while we technically can develop a solution that is equally good or better, it would be throwing good money after bad, and we do not have a money pile here we can just throw around :-)

These days, our primary income is based on users collecting movies, not with any sort of playback solution involved - the place where we potentially can see that there would be takers would be if you had a full solution available on the mobile apps, including folder importing, managing, and direct support for various media players, but the mobile applications is not there - it does require the Windows or Mac solutions for importing - and importing of digital copies and tv series is just entering the Mac app with the upcoming 2.0 version.

We already have part of the development team focusing on a V3 on iOS, and while our focus right now lies elsewhere, it can be that folder import and handling could be interesting on this, and then it perhaps also can be interesting to support remote playback on more devices - we do still feel though that the ideal solution also comes with the remote control, so that you can control playback after you started it....

binnerup
Posted: Saturday, February 10, 2018 1:05:49 PM

thrang wrote:
Its crazy to me you haven't done anything with remote functionality since, well, forever. Are you tied to Dune in some way that prevents you from developing support for other devices?

Not at all :-)

Today, even with us having limited support for their solutions, Zappity is actually a much better partner than Dune have ever been for us, as Zappity is licensing our data solution for their NAS solution with disc copying - we feel that we are delivering something of good quality to Zappity, but if we are to further develop some of these things, we would certainly look Zappitys way if we are to consider to equals, to honor the business they are bringing us, which is quite helpful to our service in a difficult market.

The fact is that we are at a time where it is very difficult for us to develop new and innovating things, and earn back in the cost we have on that - mark here that we are not a team of open source developers doing this in spare time for the fun of it - it is great that some people do this, but economically, it is difficult to compete with :-)

There are so much that we would like to do, but we cannot do economically.

binnerup
Posted: Saturday, February 10, 2018 1:25:46 PM

Looking into the code, I can see that both the iOS and the Android apps are already able to send a playback request to a bridge device, and the DLL implementation on Windows actually seems to already have it implemented - I just never got to make the implementation on the Oppo DLL - it however also means that it never was made public, and never was tested - but it seems the event is getting to the DLL, so the DLL is able to pass it on...

So if any of you have .NET development skills, have a Windows always on and would like to try an implementation, I would be able to help get started.

adidino
Posted: Saturday, February 10, 2018 3:14:18 PM

binnerup wrote:
Looking into the code, I can see that both the iOS and the Android apps are already able to send a playback request to a bridge device, and the DLL implementation on Windows actually seems to already have it implemented - I just never got to make the implementation on the Oppo DLL - it however also means that it never was made public, and never was tested - but it seems the event is getting to the DLL, so the DLL is able to pass it on...

So if any of you have .NET development skills, have a Windows always on and would like to try an implementation, I would be able to help get started.

Brian - Oppo aside, what other devices will support remote play if added to the bridge?

Tony

My Collection
binnerup
Posted: Saturday, February 10, 2018 4:15:12 PM

adidino
Posted: Saturday, February 10, 2018 4:56:03 PM

binnerup wrote:
adidino wrote:
Brian - Oppo aside, what other devices will support remote play if added to the bridge?

Only the Dune...

This goes back to the point of this thread. You need to expand the feature to other devices (Egreat, Zidoo) are a couple of examples where remote playback would make sense. Oppo would be a great option but that would require a jailbreak version of the firmware to allow for ISO playback. MyMovies has a lot more potential especially with these new players surfacing.

Tony

My Collection
binnerup
Posted: Saturday, February 10, 2018 5:17:40 PM

adidino wrote:
This goes back to the point of this thread. You need to expand the feature to other devices (Egreat, Zidoo) are a couple of examples where remote playback would make sense. Oppo would be a great option but that would require a jailbreak version of the firmware to allow for ISO playback. MyMovies has a lot more potential especially with these new players surfacing.

Which again goes back to the point made above - there are not enough potential users in this on a solution requiring an always on Windows device to put the device cost and development time into this for all sorts of different players.

And, the full solution with direct implementation of each player in the mobile apps, which could attract more users has a much, much higher cost.