Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Movie Collection Database Renumbering Problem Options · View
waffles
Posted: Thursday, July 05, 2018 11:47:54 PM
Groups: Member

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (2502)
I had MyMovies reset the title numbers in the database, so they are sequential and without gaps again. All seems to be fine, however, when I add a new title it does not continue where it left off, but jumps several hundred # ahead and continues from there. I have tried this numerous times on various machines (client and server), with the same result. This gap is also available on the iOS devices, so I suspect the issue is somewhere in the database itself.

I am on the latest released MM versions for Windows and iOS.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
waffles
Posted: Friday, July 26, 2019 9:19:15 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (2502)
A humble bump...

I have since updated Windows and MM to current versions, but the issues still persists.

Would I need to formally contact MM Support and have a ticket recreated to get this looked at?
arnividar
Posted: Saturday, July 27, 2019 3:21:52 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (3215)
Hah, I can help you with this. Had the same exact problem a few weeks back! :D

The database remembers the last number used, and continues from there. So what you do is you remove all the titles with the new (higher) numbers except one, and then manually change the number for that title (Personal Data - Col. Number) to the correct number. Once you've saved that title, the database now remembers that this is the latest number, and starts automatically adding from that number forward. :)
binnerup
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2019 8:34:24 AM

Groups: Administration , Windows RT/8 Discussion Group

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (131666)
waffles
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2019 1:23:54 PM

arnividar wrote:
Hah, I can help you with this. Had the same exact problem a few weeks back! :D

The database remembers the last number used, and continues from there. So what you do is you remove all the titles with the new (higher) numbers except one, and then manually change the number for that title (Personal Data - Col. Number) to the correct number. Once you've saved that title, the database now remembers that this is the latest number, and starts automatically adding from that number forward. :)

Thank you for your suggestion. I just tried that....MyMovies assigned for the the title I added afterwards a much higher number again: 973 vs. 380.
waffles
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2019 1:29:44 PM

binnerup wrote:
It basically means that you somewhere still have a title with a higher number.

New titles always gest highest number plus one.

How do I find this title?

I used MyMovies-Collection-Reset Numbers to reset my numbers. This results currently in a gap-less sequence up to 379.
However, MyMovies then assigns the next title that gets added the # 973.

Is there a hidden title somewhere, seemingly with number 972?

EDIT: I just used Arnividar's method to assign an existing title the number 972. I thought, if this number is already assigned, I should get an error message, but no...I was able to rename it to 972 just fine.

I then deleted this title afterwards again. So the highest number in the database was back to 379. Adding a new title again, made the number jumped back up to 973. It seems there is something wrong with my database.
johnnyicemaker
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2019 7:57:15 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (61339)
Make sure all titles are showing. this includes child titles in box sets...and generic movies linked to disc titles. Click the "plus" sign to the left of each title. Fortunately you only have 379 titles you have to do this for.

This may be your issue. You have a box set with a child title that doesn't get renumbered, so remains 972. The next auto number then is 973.

Another issue may be that you have a disc that has a generic movie title attached to it that has had a number assigned to it. Typically when first adding discs this does not happen, they remain unnumbered, but somewhere down the line you may have inadvertently changed one of these titles to have number 972.

Hope this helps.
waffles
Posted: Tuesday, July 30, 2019 3:35:18 AM

johnnyicemaker wrote:
Make sure all titles are showing. this includes child titles in box sets...and generic movies linked to disc titles. Click the "plus" sign to the left of each title. Fortunately you only have 379 titles you have to do this for.

This may be your issue. You have a box set with a child title that doesn't get renumbered, so remains 972. The next auto number then is 973.

Another issue may be that you have a disc that has a generic movie title attached to it that has had a number assigned to it. Typically when first adding discs this does not happen, they remain unnumbered, but somewhere down the line you may have inadvertently changed one of these titles to have number 972.

Hope this helps.

I think I understand what you suggest. I randomly checked a handful titles, actually child titles. They all had None checked under Col. Number. I believe you suggest that one of my 379 titles has an unchecked child with an added number of 972.
BTW, I don't recall ever editing this field.

I hope there is a more efficient way to check for that other than opening each title manually. I fear this would take me hours.

In any case, I would expect that the Reset Number feature would address all titles, including any child titles.

Independently, what strikes me as odd is that MM allows me to manually assign Col. numbers that are currently already in use. I had expected at least an error message.

Maybe Brian can chime in.....
mbarnstijn
Posted: Tuesday, July 30, 2019 1:56:01 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (111962)
That's interesting. All my box set children have the Personal Data Collection Number set to the same value as the number showing in the main title list, and the "None" checkbox is CLEAR on all of them. I checked about 20 box sets, from the earliest added (6 years back) to the latest (this month).

I didn't even know you COULD set the collection number to NONE! I guess I haven't poked around in every data entry panel on this software, in spite of using it every day.

Is that something you have to do deliberately, or is it a side-effect of data entry via a mobile device?

Just curious.

I wonder if @johnnyicemaker meant that the Collection Number for a child title, as seen in the main title list, might be set to a higher number. Maybe they didn't mean the Personal Data Collection Number? That would be much easier to check, you don't have to click on a button for each and every title, just expand each box set in the title list so the children are showing and you'll see the Collection Numbers in the main title list.

Cheers,

--michael
johnnyicemaker
Posted: Tuesday, July 30, 2019 6:04:53 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (61339)
@waffles, The collection number, being a personal setting, I believe you can set it to whatever you want. You can have no number at all, and you can manually set it to have duplicate numbers if you like, it is pretty flexible. There won't be an error message because of this flexibility. Say for instance you have multiple DVDs of the same movie and only want to have one number represent each "movie" title, you can manually number all of your multiple DVDs to have the same number if you wish. I believe the renumber operation works on all titles that are open/visible at the time of the operation. So Child titles that are not expanded into view may not end up being renumbered. I may be wrong, but this is a quirk that I remember happening to me some years ago. This may have been updated in the software, but when I last messed around with mass collection number changes, box sets were new. There is not a more efficient way of checking for this rogue number, but you should feel fortunate that you only have 379 titles to check. Some of us have several thousand titles that we would have to work on.

@mbarnstijn, setting the number to none is possible but it is also a deliberate choice. After adding a new title to my collection I have to manually go into the title and change the auto number to none. I have a unique numbering system in my collection to help me keep track of where my movies have come from and where they may be located. So I manually edit each of my collection numbers as they are added to my collection. I have a series of movies with no number set for movies that I own the disc for or have in a digital collection somewhere (UV, VUDU, Google, iTunes, etc.). I have a second series of numbers starting at 1001 for movies that my father in law owns (located at his house) that I have categorized. I have a third series of numbers starting at 3001 for movies that I have borrowed from someone, ripped and added to my Plex as digital copies. And, I have a fourth series of numbers staring at 6001 that are generic movie titles representing VHS tapes that I have that I have not yet purchased as DVDs. It is a little bit tedious to manually edit each title, but now that I have my collection how I want it the only work is when a new movie is added.
johnnyicemaker
Posted: Tuesday, July 30, 2019 6:13:28 PM

mbarnstijn wrote:
That's interesting. All my box set children have the Personal Data Collection Number set to the same value as the number showing in the main title list, and the "None" checkbox is CLEAR on all of them. I checked about 20 box sets, from the earliest added (6 years back) to the latest (this month).

This is odd behavior, as I believe when you add a new box set, the parent title gets the most current auto number first and then as each child title is loaded to your collection it is given the next auto number, and so on.
johnnyicemaker
Posted: Tuesday, July 30, 2019 6:20:46 PM

mbarnstijn wrote:
I wonder if @johnnyicemaker meant that the Collection Number for a child title, as seen in the main title list, might be set to a higher number. Maybe they didn't mean the Personal Data Collection Number? That would be much easier to check, you don't have to click on a button for each and every title, just expand each box set in the title list so the children are showing and you'll see the Collection Numbers in the main title list.

I am talking about the Personal Data collection number. This is what is changed when you do a mass renumber of your collection. Each disc entry gets a number (or no number if you manually set it) when entered into your collection. If you expand the titles further (by clicking on the plus) from disc titles to showing the generic movie that is also attached to each disc they can also have a collection number. By default they are set to "no number" when adding a disc, but these can also be manually changed if you like. This is the "hidden place" that @waffles may be asking about. You will not have to open each title manually, just click on the plus sign for each title in the main list on the left and you should be able to see where the rogue number is. The "#" column is the Personal Data Collection Number.

See attached screen capture for fully expanded titles. Note that the box set has been expanded three tree levels. click the parent title "plus" to see the child titles, click the child title "plus" to see the generic movie.

johnnyicemaker attached the following image(s):
Collection Tree.jpg

andycob
Posted: Tuesday, July 30, 2019 6:24:12 PM

Groups: Administration , Member, Moderator

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (133418)
The ability to set none as a collection number was added so long ago now I don't remember when it was put in but its been awhile, a lot of user's were asking for the option and Brian added it at some point.

As to the box set thing there should be no need to expand them for the childs to get renumbered. The reset numbering will do that and should handle the childs numbers just like any other item in the list. However unless things have changed without me noticing the reset does only reset the numbers of the titles in the list actively being viewed. So if you select only owned for keeps and reset the numbers only those titles in owned for keeps will have their numbers reset, any other titles in your collection not in the active list will be left alone. So make sure you have all groups selected and no filters applied or anything that might exclude a title from the listing or it won't get renumbered.
johnnyicemaker
Posted: Tuesday, July 30, 2019 6:46:49 PM

andycob wrote:
The ability to set none as a collection number was added so long ago now I don't remember when it was put in but its been awhile, a lot of user's were asking for the option and Brian added it at some point.

As to the box set thing there should be no need to expand them for the childs to get renumbered. The reset numbering will do that and should handle the childs numbers just like any other item in the list. However unless things have changed without me noticing the reset does only reset the numbers of the titles in the list actively being viewed. So if you select only owned for keeps and reset the numbers only those titles in owned for keeps will have their numbers reset, any other titles in your collection not in the active list will be left alone. So make sure you have all groups selected and no filters applied or anything that might exclude a title from the listing or it won't get renumbered.

+1 andycob, I used the incorrect nomenclature, I said "open/visible", but what I meant is as you stated "active list".
waffles
Posted: Tuesday, July 30, 2019 6:49:40 PM

andycob wrote:
.... So make sure you have all groups selected and no filters applied or anything that might exclude a title from the listing or it won't get renumbered.

Hmm, I have set it to 'All Groups' and 'No Filter' before doing the 'Reset Number'....still the same result... the next title that gets added gets assigned 973, instead of 380 :-(
waffles
Posted: Tuesday, July 30, 2019 7:02:50 PM

johnnyicemaker wrote:

See below for fully expanded titles. Note that the box set has been expanded three tree levels. click the parent title "plus" to see the child titles, click the child title "plus" to see the generic movie.

Ahh, your screenshot helped.

Now I see that when you are talking about 'Child level' you are referring to the level that shows the disc icon and titles like Rules of E or Shaft. I originally thought that you were referring to the MM icon- title.

I wasn't aware of this box set feature (nice!)...and also have not used it yet (but might going forward). So until now I only have one disk icon and one MM icon per title - no child levels.
johnnyicemaker
Posted: Tuesday, July 30, 2019 7:08:46 PM

Check those generic movie titles (as you state MM Icon), there might be one that has a number 972 set to it, and It may be that it is not being zeroed out when you do a reset number operation. Just a theory worth looking into...
waffles
Posted: Tuesday, July 30, 2019 7:23:52 PM

johnnyicemaker wrote:
Check those generic movie titles (as you state MM Icon), there might be one that has a number 972 set to it, and It may be that it is not being zeroed out when you do a reset number operation. Just a theory worth looking into...

Yep, that's what I understood when you suggested it earlier. As I wrote, I spot checked a few (they were all greyed out and None was checked). Going through them one by one would be a very tedious process.

@andycob stated that the renumbering feature would also take care of the children. Now I wonder if this feature would also automatically address these generic movie titles (MM icons) => renumber, if not greyed out; leave blank, if 'None' is checked.
waffles
Posted: Tuesday, July 30, 2019 7:37:23 PM

As an aside, could s.o. please briefly explain what the purpose is of these 'generic movie profiles'?
I saw some anoucement in the earlier 5.x release notes, but no further details as to why and how they are to be used.
Thanks!
binnerup
Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2019 10:12:06 AM

Groups: Administration , Windows RT/8 Discussion Group

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (131666)
The generic movie profiles are mainly to be able to track digital copies - titles that are not on disc.

The disc title have them as inherited as it gives an option to see movie specific data that disc titles does not track, with posters, ect.

It is also because when the movie profile is there, users can contribute to them, which is important for the digital copy functionality.

Having trouble installing or upgrading to My Movies 5? Click here for troubleshooting.

Having a problem? Searching our Knowledge Base is always the first step.

How can I produce a log file in My Movies for Windows?

How can I fully uninstall My Movies for Windows