Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Support for Dune 4K Pro Options · View
adidino
Posted: Wednesday, July 18, 2018 1:32:00 AM

Groups: Member

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (3667)
Brian - has there been any discussion on supporting the 4K Pro? I do not believe this unit supports IP control as of yet but curious if there has been any discussion on this?

Tony

My Collection
binnerup
Posted: Wednesday, July 18, 2018 8:34:24 AM

Groups: Administration , Windows RT/8 Discussion Group

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (133757)
There have not, no - Dune have put out new players over a period, and all of them have had the same IP control functionalities, so we have not specifically looked at new models.

Will this model not support the normal IP control?

Having trouble installing or upgrading to My Movies 5? Click here for troubleshooting.

Having a problem? Searching our Knowledge Base is always the first step.

How can I produce a log file in My Movies for Windows?

How can I fully uninstall My Movies for Windows
mbarnstijn
Posted: Thursday, July 26, 2018 12:29:12 AM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (113217)
Brian, I will report on this unit soon, as mine should arrive from the US distributor before the end of the month. (Maybe later due to slow import processes because of trade war between US and Canada?)

What I'm excited about is the simultaneous Android and "old style Dune" environments.

Perhaps we can run the Android app on the 4K Pro and get the app to trigger playback on the SAME Dune using the old style Dune IP commands that the Android app can send.

Best of both worlds?

I'm eager to see if this works as I would hope!

Cheers,

--michael
mbarnstijn
Posted: Friday, July 27, 2018 1:40:21 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (113217)
I am happy to report that the shipment of Dune 4K Pro is on a vehicle and out for delivery to me today. I will try to report back on my findings as soon as possible. This weekend is very busy with family and friends for a summer party at our house. I will plan to run my first experiments Monday afternoon. Maybe sooner if I work quickly at tidying up the house today and tomorrow.

Cheers,

--michael
binnerup
Posted: Friday, July 27, 2018 1:41:29 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (133757)
mbarnstijn
Posted: Wednesday, August 01, 2018 1:33:45 AM

Well. That's very special of Dune. Android v7.1.1, and Google Play claims the Dune "is not compatible with this version" of My Movies Pro 2.

Attached is a screen shot of the Android version information, and a screen shot of Google Play unable to purchase or install My Movies Pro 2. (It says the same thing about just plain My Movies Pro.)

Can a manufacturer of an Android device block specific apps from working, or is this a problem with the version of Android?

--michael

File Attachment(s):
IMG_20180731_1929400.jpg (285kb) downloaded 19 time(s).
IMG_20180731_1946255.jpg (408kb) downloaded 15 time(s).

binnerup
Posted: Wednesday, August 01, 2018 12:05:07 PM

This is expected - what I was interested here was not the Android part, but the fact if IP control for mobile apps was still the same, as well as the structure browsing.

The Android app is not an Android TV app - it is only for mobile devices, which is why you can't install it on this device.

Having trouble installing or upgrading to My Movies 5? Click here for troubleshooting.

Having a problem? Searching our Knowledge Base is always the first step.

How can I produce a log file in My Movies for Windows?

How can I fully uninstall My Movies for Windows
mbarnstijn
Posted: Wednesday, August 01, 2018 12:56:24 PM

I was able to browse my existing Dune metadata produced by My Movies with the same behaviour as previous Dune Solo 4K versions, and easily played back my media content.

The difference being the Dune 4K Pro does NOT support Blu-ray menus. Sigh. I waited months for the update to the Solo 4K for Blu-ray menu support. Why did I think this one would support menus right off the bat?

So the Dune 4K Pro is an "Android TV" device. Is there anything about the TV device type that makes it difficult to create a version of the My Movies app for it? Will you ever support the Android TV device? I can tell you that when I watch TV I would much rather browse through the collection on the TV using the Android app than be doing it on my phone. A couple of reasons for that: I don't want to wear my reading glasses while watching TV; TV remote controls are much more rugged than phones, and I drop those remotes quite often off the arm of my chair but don't want to drop my phone that many times!

I will test IP control later today. Maybe before noon EDT?

Cheers,

--michael
mbarnstijn
Posted: Wednesday, August 01, 2018 10:05:02 PM

I am able to configure and use the remote control function on the Android app to act as a remote control for the Dune Pro 4K. I can use the remote to navigate the Dune Pro 4K user interface, including browsing the My Movies metadata folders.

However, if I browse my collection in the app, select a title and then press the play button in the image at the top of the screen, I get a pop-up asking if I want to see the trailer locally, or select the Dune, which gives me the remote control but does not start playback of the title I selected. Am I doing this right?

Also, once I've entered the Dune remote control portion of the My Movies app by attempting to play a selected title the way I described above, I cannot exit the remote control function to return to the collection view. The menu button at top left does nothing when pressed. I can press the three-dots setting menu in the upper right corner, but that only lets me select between the remote control and a keyboard (what keyboard?), which doesn't help. I have to use the task manager to end the My Movies app, and then start it up again.

Is there something wrong with my configuration of the My Movies android app?

--michael
mbarnstijn
Posted: Wednesday, August 01, 2018 10:08:55 PM

Oh, ugh!

DVD ISO/folders play back stretched to fit the TV screen on the Dune Pro 4K.

There's no settings that I've found to let you over-ride this behaviour.

Don't plan to enjoy watching any 4:3 format video from DVD on a Dune Pro 4K until they release a firmware update that fixes this particular bug.

--michael
adidino
Posted: Sunday, August 05, 2018 2:26:36 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (3667)

I believe Dune has stated not all IP commands are available yet. Only IR equivalent commands so remote play will hopefully become available at some point soon.

mbarnstijn wrote:
I am able to configure and use the remote control function on the Android app to act as a remote control for the Dune Pro 4K. I can use the remote to navigate the Dune Pro 4K user interface, including browsing the My Movies metadata folders.

However, if I browse my collection in the app, select a title and then press the play button in the image at the top of the screen, I get a pop-up asking if I want to see the trailer locally, or select the Dune, which gives me the remote control but does not start playback of the title I selected. Am I doing this right?

Also, once I've entered the Dune remote control portion of the My Movies app by attempting to play a selected title the way I described above, I cannot exit the remote control function to return to the collection view. The menu button at top left does nothing when pressed. I can press the three-dots setting menu in the upper right corner, but that only lets me select between the remote control and a keyboard (what keyboard?), which doesn't help. I have to use the task manager to end the My Movies app, and then start it up again.

Is there something wrong with my configuration of the My Movies android app?

--michael

Tony

My Collection
binnerup
Posted: Sunday, August 05, 2018 9:34:11 PM

susanhatfield
Posted: Tuesday, August 13, 2019 10:22:09 AM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (0)
It is not just simply install an apk file from another place (apknite, aptoide,...)