Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Lazy contributors? Options · View
stefaand
Posted: Saturday, January 12, 2019 10:59:10 AM
Groups: Member

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (120105)
Something which only happened sporadic in the past, seems to become more and more a fashion from certain contributors. Mind you I cannot see who did a contribution as I'm on the Mac version which doesn't have that function the Windows version does.

Some of them seem to be lazy, that for example if a title contains seven discs they think, oh well forget it I'll just scan the first disc and be done with it. At least they get the 100% contribution mark but the title is far from complete. Also most of the times in just titles there are other problems too, like extras which are completely wrong and not as per the cover, the aspect ratio being off -> TV series at 1.85:1 instead of 1.78:1 I see this a gazillion times).

Two prime examples I discovered yesterday;

I know the moderators can only do so much to prevent such mistakes, but for the contributors who take their work seriously, like me, this is not very motivating to keep contributing because after all now for these titles I need to make several changes, scan 12 discs in all and get zero credits for it.
andycob
Posted: Sunday, January 13, 2019 4:24:57 PM

Groups: Administration , Member, Moderator

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (132295)
To be sure you get the points you would be entitled to you would need to report the title first so a mod can scrub the invalid/incomplete data from the title so you can then contribute and get the full credit.

Do explain on the report why you want what maybe correct but valid data removed or it may not get taken off, but if just one disc with an ID has been added to get the 100% when in fact there are many more discs that's not good. Additionally if you report such then a mod can both revert the contribution removing the points the user got for such action and potentially warn the contributor who did it not to do it again.
stefaand
Posted: Tuesday, January 15, 2019 4:50:21 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (120105)
Thanks Andy, in fact I didn't think about this route yet. So I might use this in the future when this happens, certainly not for small pieces but in the case of the two mentioned EAN codes in my original post, it was pretty obvious that this was a 'fast' job.
woelfie
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2019 2:11:53 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (8306)
I alos see regularly that 11 actors have been added while it's fairly easy to find more.
Probably because you get credits for 11+ actors, and then some people don't want to do the extra effort. Sometimes there's not much you can do about it.
binnerup
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2019 9:47:44 AM

Groups: Administration , Windows RT/8 Discussion Group

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (52)
There is a difference here in when users are contributing invalid information and just not complete information - we do not have a requirement anywhere that information must be complete, in such situations as cast lists - what we do have is a requirement that if one contributes a disc id of one disc, they must contribute all - we have made an exception here with 4K titles, as many do not have the 4K capable Blu-ray drive.

It is frustrating when pieces are missing, granted, but unless it is incomplete information, it is within what is acceptable.

Specifically for actors, we hope that the change to where you can inherit cast lists on disc titles from the movie profiles means that users will spend the time updating the movie profile, and then it affects all disc titles referring to it.

Notice also that for many titles, they are created by our staff based on missing title reports - in these situations, they are creating a basic title, for it to exist, but they do not have all the details available to them, as the user who have a title in hand, and this can be the reason for some of the not complete profiles.

Having trouble installing or upgrading to My Movies 5? Click here for troubleshooting.

Having a problem? Searching our Knowledge Base is always the first step.

How can I produce a log file in My Movies for Windows?

How can I fully uninstall My Movies for Windows
stefaand
Posted: Saturday, February 02, 2019 4:12:40 PM

Point in case, see title with Eromanga Sensei 2 barcode 816546021306, where there is a wrong description (last block of text) and what's more for persons involved in this title, the user just added the director and clicked the "there are no more actors' and be done with it. Lazy as hell
woelfie
Posted: Saturday, February 02, 2019 8:00:58 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (8306)
stefaand wrote:
Point in case, see title with Eromanga Sensei 2 barcode 816546021306, where there is a wrong description (last block of text) and what's more for persons involved in this title, the user just added the director and clicked the "there are no more actors' and be done with it. Lazy as hell

I've also seen the opposite numerous times: a disc with languages only japanese and french dubbing, but the list of actors contain ALL the English speaking actors from the US edition.
Though I can assume that it was probably copy/paste of the whole list of actors, but then why all the effort to add the roles, while that actor isn't even playing in the language version?
deprongmori
Posted: Saturday, February 02, 2019 11:41:22 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (16956)
One possible issue with users not populating "Actor" fields...

Please reconsider your policy of forcing the "Actor" listings to specify their roles for including in the "Cast and Crew" section. There are a number of low-budget obscure Japanese films in this box set (barcode 760137066385 "Seijun Suzuki: The Early Years: Vol. 1") , and IMDB does not list roles for many of the actors (even the lead roles) because they are likely not translated in the credits to the film. I took a lot of time to enter the names of all the actors (without their character names) just as they are found in the IMDB listings for each of the films, but you will not let me submit the box set unless I provide hours of independent research to investigate and transcribe the additional information to also include their roles, which is not generally available. So, I removed them all. Ultimately, you end up with less accurate data about the films in your database because of this restriction.
stefaand
Posted: Sunday, February 03, 2019 1:25:16 PM

woelfie wrote:
stefaand wrote:

I've also seen the opposite numerous times: a disc with languages only japanese and french dubbing, but the list of actors contain ALL the English speaking actors from the US edition.
Though I can assume that it was probably copy/paste of the whole list of actors, but then why all the effort to add the roles, while that actor isn't even playing in the language version?

In the past, not sure if that's still the case, in the Windows version where an IMDb ID was known one could import all actors and staff with a button. Not that is for me the ideal situation. I buy a lot of Anime releases, and I always only add the actors for the audio languages available on the title, for instance Sentai has a lot of releases which are sub only, so here I don't add the English voice actors. Same goes for the few French releases I have they indeed only contain Japanese and French audio tracks so I don't add the English voice actors neither here although there might be a dub available for the series.

Like deprongmori says for more obscure titles, especially non-US titles like Asian titles the roles aren't always known. Also here I also add those which are known. I think there was a system in the past which checked if all actors had a role, not sure this is still in place. In fact for Asian titles I always check asianwiki.com for actors as sometimes they have more information especially for more recent titles -> post 2000.
domohh
Posted: Monday, February 04, 2019 9:59:34 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (3181)
stefaand wrote:
In the past, not sure if that's still the case, in the Windows version where an IMDb ID was known one could import all actors and staff with a button.

This is still possible, if you add the .dll from this post, see binnerup's post from 19th of August 2018.
woelfie
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2019 1:02:55 AM

domohh wrote:
stefaand wrote:
In the past, not sure if that's still the case, in the Windows version where an IMDb ID was known one could import all actors and staff with a button.

This is still possible, if you add the .dll from this post, see binnerup's post from 19th of August 2018.

This may be a good option for movies, but for longer tv series, it ads a whole list of actors who do not contribute to a specific selection of episodes. Lots of cleanup work :(
stefaand
Posted: Thursday, February 07, 2019 8:12:55 PM

Found another one where only the first disc was scanned, and where a contributor didn't bother to scan the other three. No idea why, lazy, too much work, simply forgotten, ... Either way I reported this through the service.

The Big O: Complete Collection with EAN code 816726029009
woelfie
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2019 1:13:33 AM

I just changed the Matrix Trilogy from a single entry (with three disks) to a box set, what it really is.
I forgot to report this first, but spent in the end over one hour getting everything right.
Still have to do the same for the Godfather Trilogy (8714865502280) and the Harry Potter 8-Film Collection (5051888195819). I can understand that users don't want to spent too much time in creating a box set, but it's still lazy :(
binnerup
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2019 8:45:25 AM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (52)
stefaand wrote:
Found another one where only the first disc was scanned, and where a contributor didn't bother to scan the other three. No idea why, lazy, too much work, simply forgotten, ... Either way I reported this through the service.

This specifically is a contribution against guidelines - as it is back from 2017, it makes no sense to do anything about it now, but when contributing a disc id for a disc, you must contribute them all.

You actually yourself contributed to the profile just a few months later - had you seen the error there, and sent in an incorrect report, we would certainly have issued a warning to the user.

Having trouble installing or upgrading to My Movies 5? Click here for troubleshooting.

binnerup
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2019 8:53:18 AM

woelfie wrote:
I can understand that users don't want to spent too much time in creating a box set, but it's still lazy :(

This is quite a different situation here - there is no requirement when contributing that you create complete box sets, or that you complete a profile fully - we would rather that users create and contribute a bare minimum profile, which is then available in the service, over not contributing at all.

The lazy parties here can just as well be the 130 people who have this title in their collection and did not contribute anything to it :-)

The problem here lies in the situation where users tries to collect the points by adding things that are only part complete, such as disc ids for just one disc of many, or not creating the actual discs a profile contains to collect the points for adding a disc id, ect. - this is unacceptable behaviour, and will cause warnings, and ultimately disabling of users ability to contribute if we find it to be on purpose and multiple times.

However, not completing a profile, or not creating full box sets, we do not consider problematic.

Now, you guys have a number of contribution points where collecting more likely do not matter, but improving on a profile, and creating a box set will collect points still - fixing other users issues and adding more discs to a profile that already have disc ids are not.

If you in a situation where others made mistakes that affects the point calculations create an incorrect report, we will remove the data, such as the disc id, to open up for it giving points again - the same is the situation when a user copied a description in that is not what is on the back cover.

stefaand
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2019 1:21:06 PM

binnerup wrote:
stefaand wrote:

This specifically is a contribution against guidelines - as it is back from 2017, it makes no sense to do anything about it now, but when contributing a disc id for a disc, you must contribute them all.

You actually yourself contributed to the profile just a few months later - had you seen the error there, and sent in an incorrect report, we would certainly have issued a warning to the user.

Brian to clarify. I sure did contribute to it. But actually only received the titles on Wednesday after they been held hostage by customs here for over a month. So my previous contribution to it was all about description, actors, etc... actually everything I could do except or Disc ID's as obviously I didn't have the discs yet.
binnerup
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2019 1:31:22 PM

woelfie
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2019 7:26:33 PM

binnerup wrote:

This is quite a different situation here - there is no requirement when contributing that you create complete box sets, or that you complete a profile fully - we would rather that users create and contribute a bare minimum profile, which is then available in the service, over not contributing at all.

My apologies, I did understood this differently. For me it's not a big issue anyway, I just prefer to have it complete.

binnerup wrote:

The problem here lies in the situation where users tries to collect the points by adding things that are only part complete, such as disc ids for just one disc of many

This is a tricky one, as I often face problems reading a disc on my iMac. If even after several attempts, the disc can't be read, I have to skip the disc ID.

binnerup wrote:

Now, you guys have a number of contribution points where collecting more likely do not matter, but improving on a profile, and creating a box set will collect points still - fixing other users issues and adding more discs to a profile that already have disc ids are not.

Indeed :D
As I said, for me it's not a big issue. And as it takes some extra time waiting for a response after reporting, I just correct immediately. Much faster.
binnerup
Posted: Saturday, February 09, 2019 7:06:58 AM

stefaand
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2019 1:08:07 PM

And another three reported, all US titles;
816546021306 (Eromanga Sensei 2)
816546021405 (Fate/Apocrypha Box II)
816726023625 (Land of the Lustrous: Complete Collection)

Off course all three have been reported. Not sure if these are all from the same contributor, as on the Mac version this function isn't there.

Really this is getting frustrating to continue running around someone else to rectify their mistakes or it what it's seems to more like just a sloppy and lazy attempt.