Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Boxset advice/help Options · View
bigmack3000
Posted: Tuesday, August 13, 2019 7:28:53 PM
Groups: Member

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (27745)
I really liked the way that "Walt Disney Animation Studios Short Film Collection" was laid out. It's set up like a boxset with each short film having it's own file, but then nested within each film is another page with a poster image of each film and more information. Can someone give me a synopsis on how to nest with in a nested item?

Thanks!
andycob
Posted: Wednesday, August 14, 2019 4:41:49 PM

Groups: Administration , Member, Moderator

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (133418)
You can't nest items within a nested set. What you are looking at as another sub level of data is the generic movie data which associates automatically to a title (if available) based on the IMDB ID on the profile. Also please note that most of the old theatrical short serials (as opposed to short films), looney tunes, Disney shorts etc. are treated as TV series rather than movies. Their serial nature is much closer to a TV series than movies and most later became or were rebroadcast as such.
bigmack3000
Posted: Wednesday, August 14, 2019 5:48:36 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (27745)
Interesting. So if I connect an imdb address to a title, it should create one of those movie pages automatically? Or I have to create the movie pages and attach them to the titles?
johnnyicemaker
Posted: Wednesday, August 14, 2019 7:07:06 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (61339)
Yes and Yes. Depends on what has been previously contributed and/or completed in the main database.

When you add a disc title, and include the correct IMDB number, if the generic movie profile has already been created it will populate that information automatically and add the next level as you are seeing. IF, the generic profile has not been contributed, you will see, as it is not auto populated. You can then contribute the generic movie profile yourself. Although this is fairly rare, as most mainstream recently released movies have already been added as generic profiles.

In my experience, generic movie profiles that I have noticed missing in the database are mostly the following.
Brand new movies from minor studios (straight to video), much older (1950's and earlier), uncommon (B Movies/not popular), some foreign produced (meaning NOT US/Canada/GB, major European, Bollywood, and Asian countries), and movies that have never previously been released to disc format.
bigmack3000
Posted: Wednesday, August 14, 2019 7:57:11 PM

Thank you!

And if I were to make a movie profile. Is the imdb link enough information? Or should I fill in all of the info I can and then let the IMDB link fill in the blanks?
johnnyicemaker
Posted: Wednesday, August 14, 2019 8:57:16 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (61339)
I think the IMDB information is the bare minimum, it is up to you how much you complete. A moderator may want to weigh in here, but as a seasoned contributor I prefer to add as much info as I can to get the database as complete as possible, for the benefit of all users. Please review the contribution guidelines before contributing, as the generic movies are slightly different than disc titles. It is important to get the information correct on the generic movies because some disc titles grab information from the generic titles (actors and crew, etc.).
bigmack3000
Posted: Wednesday, August 14, 2019 9:23:15 PM

Sorry, I might've asked that to vaguely. What I meant was how much information the imdb link would collect on it's own, or if I should treat it like adding a regular "disc title". I'll assume as a disc title, and add all I can to one.
andycob
Posted: Thursday, August 15, 2019 6:18:38 PM

Groups: Administration , Member, Moderator

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (133418)
The imdb id is not a connection to IMDB and does not 'add' anything in that sense, it simply acts as an identifier so if the generic movie data exists for that ID and that ID is added to a disc title the generic movie layer of data will attach beneath the disc title automatically.
bigmack3000
Posted: Thursday, August 15, 2019 11:32:07 PM

ok great, thanks! Moving further, if I create a movie file to connect to a disk and both are accepted as submissions, can I then remove the movie file from my library, but keep the connection? That way I'm not doubling up on all of those films.