Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Associating Discs with Movies Options · View
wcndave
Posted: Tuesday, August 20, 2019 7:38:51 PM
Groups: Member

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (2824)
I can't find this anywhere, and Google is insisting on only returning search results in Italian, no matter what I do, so I'll ask here.

Where do you associate a disc title with a movie?

My exported poster art must come from the movie, yet, where there is no film, it's doing something....

I'd like to explicitly associate them.

Thanks, Dave
andycob
Posted: Tuesday, August 20, 2019 8:22:08 PM

Groups: Administration , Member, Moderator

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (133418)
It's a little tricky to be certain of exactly what you mean by associate in this instance without more description.

You don't associate a disc title with a movie as such in terms of the profile data, generic movie data will attach automatically to a disc title (accessed via the '+' to the left of the disc title in the title list to expand the generic level of data) automatically based on the IMDB ID set on the disc title, provided of course generic movie data for that ID already exists.
wcndave
Posted: Tuesday, August 20, 2019 10:04:00 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (2824)
Ok, so it's relationship is set by the imdb number.

However are you sure it's working.

Look at my attachment, only 2 out of 7 titles shown have the link, yet all have correct and existing IMDB profiles.

wcndave attached the following image(s):
2019-08-20_22-00-19.png

andycob
Posted: Wednesday, August 21, 2019 2:06:09 AM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (133418)
It is not an issue of whether there is an IMDB profile but whether there is a generic movie profile in the My Movies database with that IMDB number.

The issue would be for those titles where no movie has attached, what is the ID on the profile? is it a correct and valid ID? and has a generic movie profile been created and contributed for that id in the My Movies database.

Several of those without in that shot I am sure exist so it would be is the id on the profile correct and possibly did you previously choose not to add it if it was offered. I can't remember if there is a simple way to make it check for and add them if for example you restored a backup from a prior version. Deleting and re-adding the title would do it I expect but I would have to check with the devs if there is an easy way to mass update, assuming you have the ids correctly set on the disc titles.
wcndave
Posted: Wednesday, August 21, 2019 10:50:30 AM

andycob wrote:
It is not an issue of whether there is an IMDB profile but whether there is a generic movie profile in the My Movies database with that IMDB number.

The issue would be for those titles where no movie has attached, what is the ID on the profile? is it a correct and valid ID? and has a generic movie profile been created and contributed for that id in the My Movies database.

I don't know, I was asking before how I can associate/assign these, I have no idea where the "ID on the profile" is. It also seems a bit contradictory here, you're saying that the relationship would be created from title-> imdb# -> generic movie db, so the imdb# is the foreign key here, however then you talk about this profile ID.... I'm confused.

andycob wrote:

Several of those without in that shot I am sure exist so it would be is the id on the profile correct

I don't know, what is a profile!! do you still mean imdb id?

andycob wrote:

and possibly did you previously choose not to add it if it was offered.

choose to add what when what was offered? When adding discs, I am never offered some movie choice, in fact it wasn't that long ago that the movie concept was added, until that you only had titles. I am pretty sure, when I added these, there was no movie element in MM, certainly no twisty next to disc with this movie information

andycob wrote:

assuming you have the ids correctly set on the disc titles.

They are certainly set to the id of the disc purchased, yes
andycob
Posted: Wednesday, August 21, 2019 8:57:50 PM

The IMDB ID is nothing more than an identifier in this context, there is no connection to IMDB, the IMDB id simply provides a unique identifier for the generic movie profile stored in the My Movies database in order to connect it to a disc title.

My Movies can store disc title, generic movie and TV series profiles. These can all be added as separate items but in the case of disc titles generic movie or TV series data can attach as an additional layer of data to a disc title. That would be the secondary layer of data under the disc title expanded by clicking the '+' to the left of the disc title in the title list.

For movies, if you look at a disc title data you will see a field that says IMDB, middle right of the profile data just left of the front cover. If an IMDB ID is entered there on the disc title and a generic movie profile exists with that IMDB ID the generic data will associate to the disc title as a sub-layer of data.
wcndave
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2019 10:56:59 AM

I wasn't implying a connection to IMDB, I was thinking about how the DB ERM might look.

Given the above, and now I understand profile to be "type" when adding a title, there must be a lot of generic movie profiles missing, as I probably only have 7% of my titles with data. I assume there is no way for users to help with this data, like we do with titles, which is probably what you need to stay on top of it.
andycob
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2019 12:12:56 PM

Generic movie profiles can be created and contributed just like all other profiles if they don't exist.

I am not sure of the reason you are missing so many, either you have a lot of very obscure titles or a lot of disc titles missing the imdb id, or for some reason don't have them added.

That Untouchables disc for example I can see in your screenshot, I know that generic exists as I have a disc of it myself with the movie attached.

Does the disc title have the IMDB ID? If it does and there is no generic data try deleting and re-adding the disc title, does it then add the disc and the associated movie?

Which version exactly are you using? I believe simply updating the disc title (or updating all disc titles) should add the generic data if it exists and the disc title has the relevant IMDB ID but the generic data is not associated to the disc title.
binnerup
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2019 12:56:58 PM

Groups: Administration , Windows RT/8 Discussion Group

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (131626)
wcndave
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2019 2:36:00 PM

Yes, this does it. I guess I have not updated for a long time. I had some issues with updating, where my covers were overwritten etc, as I hadn't been locking them. Also some titles tended to be reassigned to the wrong source, especially for tv shows. However I'll give it a go!

Thanks!