Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

UHD Disk Options · View
tim59
Posted: Friday, September 20, 2019 6:41:04 PM
Groups: Member

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (2506)
Can anyone help. I am backing up my DVD/Blu Ray collection and storing them on a server as M4V files so that i can play them through Apple TV.
If I set up the correct hardware to rip UHD disks would any of the available M4V formats on the my movies Video Converter work with UHD without loss of video/sound quality?
Many thanks
Tim
dreilingstl
Posted: Tuesday, October 08, 2019 10:03:51 PM
Groups: Member

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (3847)
tim59 wrote:
Can anyone help. I am backing up my DVD/Blu Ray collection and storing them on a server as M4V files so that i can play them through Apple TV.
If I set up the correct hardware to rip UHD disks would any of the available M4V formats on the my movies Video Converter work with UHD without loss of video/sound quality?
Many thanks
Tim

The only way to avoid any quality loss is to remux to MKV (the MKV - Uncompressed preset), which isn't supported by Apple TV. All of the other presets (including M4V) will downscale your video to the specified resolution (1080p max) and compress the audio stream. Another important point is that the transcoder that comes with MyMovies is HandbrakeCLI ca. 2015 and lacks a number of improvements that have been added to builds over the years (Brian has good reasons for this; see my other post in this forum). Honestly, my suggestion would be to use MyMovies to rip your UHD Blu-rays directly to Uncompressed - MKV, and then use the latest stable of Handbrake or ffmpeg to manually convert the MKV to an Apple TV-supported format (allows you to fine-tune settings to maximize compatibility and compression while maintaining quality).