Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Problems nesting child titles into box sets Options · View
jekyl
Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2019 5:59:18 AM

Groups: Member

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (44551)
I'm curious, is there a proper way to add a box sets to your collection that will also add its contents and nest them? I have difficulty every time and almost every box set I get different results.

On the old version of the app (usually) when I was about to add a box set, a prompt would come up, saying that there were child titles connected to the profile and if I wanted to add those as well. I am never asked that anymore. I just have to add each title separately. And then they don't nest. Once in a while it will just add the titles automatically, but it's completely random.

Sometimes I'll even search the child titles, and when they don't come up at all, I think naturally that they need to be added to the database, so I'll take the time out to create them, only to be denied when trying to upload them, with a prompt that they already exist on the server. Then why don't they come up in searches...?

My three latest sets I'm having issues with, are the Amityville Cursed Collection, The Puppet Master Toulon Trunk Edition and The Black Society Trilogy.

I'm sure there's more I can't remember right now, but I can't get these to nest and it making my collection look messy.
binnerup
Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2019 8:23:00 AM

Groups: Administration , Windows RT/8 Discussion Group

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (133757)
jekyl
Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2019 9:04:24 AM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (44551)
I'm using both My Movies Pro and My Movies 2 Pro on Android on an LG phone. And Windows 10 at home. I add titles to my collection and primarily use the service on my phone. But adding full profiles to the server I do through the windows application.
binnerup
Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2019 1:03:31 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (133757)
Hi,

Ok - changes made on the Windows client, such as creation of box sets are local changes that only affects the Windows client - for a box set to become a box set on your mobile devices, the box set must be contributed to the service, and confirmed by a moderator.

Could it be this that is causing the problem, or are you unaware of how to create the box set on the Windows side?

Having trouble installing or upgrading to My Movies 5? Click here for troubleshooting.

Having a problem? Searching our Knowledge Base is always the first step.

How can I produce a log file in My Movies for Windows?

How can I fully uninstall My Movies for Windows
jekyl
Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2019 4:26:10 PM

No. I'm talking about box sets that I've already submitted and have been approved. And sets that are already on the server. Not ones I created. It's various issues, with various sets. Like those three for example that I listed above.
binnerup
Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2019 4:54:46 PM

jekyl
Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2019 8:16:36 PM

I was asking if in general there is a better way to add box sets to the collection, because these things happen all the time, at random.

Like For example I just added the Avengers Assembled Steelbook collection. I added the box set into the android version and it added the child titles at the same time. Without even asking. Which is good, that is what I expect it to do, only that rarely happens.

The examples I gave above, the barcodes are:

Puppet Master Collection Toulons Ultimate - United States - 859422006752

Black Society Trilogy - United States - 760137968986

Amityville: The Cursed Collection - United States - 000000000000
binnerup
Posted: Wednesday, November 27, 2019 8:14:19 AM

Puppet Master Collection Toulons Ultimate - United States - 859422006752 <-- Not created as a full box set with child titles.

Black Society Trilogy - United States - 760137968986 <-- IS created as box set with child titles, and will prompt for adding child titles when adding.

Amityville: The Cursed Collection - United States - 000000000000 <-- Not created as a full box set with child titles.

I think the problem here is that you expect all box sets to be fully created with child titles, which is not the case - our database is community based, and titles are not created with child titles until a user creates and contributes these child titles.

If a box set is not a box set at the time you add it, we do not automatically add child titles if it becomes a box set - there is a "Box set import" function in settings to import new child titles for existing box sets if they were not available at the time of addition.

See here how to create and contribute box sets: https://www.mymovies.dk/how-to/written-documentation.aspx?Page=Contributing%20Box%20Sets

Having trouble installing or upgrading to My Movies 5? Click here for troubleshooting.

Having a problem? Searching our Knowledge Base is always the first step.

How can I produce a log file in My Movies for Windows?

How can I fully uninstall My Movies for Windows
jekyl
Posted: Monday, December 02, 2019 4:01:55 AM

I don't know why I'm being asked if I know what I'm doing, or that I'm just expecting things to be done for me... Just look at my account history. You can see how many box sets, child titles and missing info I've successfully contributed myself.

I'm seeing that there's a bug or something going on, that I'm asking about a solution for. Or if there's a better way to add sets to the system.

For the examples above:

Black Society Trilogy - United States - 760137968986 (perfect example, I'm the one that added the child titles for this to the server. Yet it doesn't nest those under the parent in my collection. I've tried updating the title. I've tried deleting it from the collection, and re-adding it, and it still doesn't nest the child titles)

Puppet Master Collection Toulons Ultimate - United States - 859422006752 (The child titles ARE all in the server, but for some reason they are not nested under the parent. I've tried nesting them myself on the Windows application and then saving the changes, but it refuses to reflect those changes in the android version of my collection)
the Child titles that are already present on the server that belong in this set, are as follows:
• Puppet Master - Toulon´s Trunk Edition - United States - 000000000000
• Puppet Master II - Toulon´s Trunk Edition - United States - 000000000000
• Puppet Master III - Toulon´s Trunk Edition - United States - 000000000000
• Puppet Master 4 - Toulon´s Trunk Edition - United States - 000000000000
• Puppet Master 5 - Toulon´s Trunk Edition - United States - 000000000000
• Curse of the Puppet Master - Toulon´s Trunk Edition - United States - 000000000000
• Retro Puppet Master - Toulon´s Trunk Edition - United States - 000000000000
• Puppet Master: The Legacy - Toulon´s Trunk Edition - United States - 000000000000
• Puppet Master: Axis of Evil - Toulon´s Trunk Edition - United States - 000000000000
• Puppet Master: Axis Rising - Toulon´s Trunk Edition - United States - 000000000000
• Puppet Master: Axis Termination - Toulon´s Trunk Edition - United States - 000000000000
• Puppet Master: Arcana of the Puppet Master - Toulon´s Trunk Edition - United States - 000000000000

Amityville: The Cursed Collection - United States - 000000000000 (I added this set and it's child titles to the server, for some reason it won't add the child titles to the parent)
the child titles for this one are:
• Amityville 4: The Evil Escapes - United States - 814456022338
• Amityville 1992: It's About Time - United States - 000000000000
• Amityville: A New Generation - United States - 000000000000
• Amityville: Dollhouse - United States - 000000000000

All 4 of these child titles in fact have the same barcode of 814456022338, but the system wouldn't allow me to add multiple titles with the same UPC for the same country.
andycob
Posted: Monday, December 02, 2019 11:26:19 AM

Groups: Administration , Member, Moderator

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (133789)
You may be mistaking some of the old legacy box set child titles where the childs had to be added separately and assembled locally by the user in some cases.

If the 'child' items you are finding are separate items then they are not part of a full box set in the sense that a box set on the server is effectively a single item if fully contributed as such and the child items cannot be found or added seperately.

I think this is the confusion, the box set child items are NOT on the server because they have not been contributed to the parent as a full box set. Some one has contributed a set of invalid standalone entries for the childs in the case of that puppet master set but those are separate and in this case invalid individual entries and while you have managed to find and add these they are as far as the web service is concerned just individual titles.

If adding the parent does not produce the prompt that the item is a box set and would you like to also add the childs then the item is not a box set, regardless of whether you can find items that correspond to the childs as standalones. If you are finding those then they are either some of the no longer used legacy entries or they have been incorrectly contributed as standalone items rather than as a full box set. Accordingly if you are adding these separate items they will not be a box set, and even if you assemble them as such locally that will only affect the one device where you made that local change. The full box sets need to be created and contributed as a box set item for the box set to add as a full box set and nest across devices.

In the case of a fully created and contributed box set you cannot find and add the childs separately to your collection individually, you get the whole set or none of the childs. If you are separately finding and adding items as childs this suggests the full box set does not exist on the server and you are potentially adding legacy, personal, incorrectly added as standalone or previously rejected box content.

760137968986 is a box set and adds fine with childs.

85942200675 is not a box set on the server, whatever the childs are you refer to they are not contributed as part of a full box set.

Amityville: The Cursed Collection - United States - 000000000000, is suspiciously invalid for not having a barcode but you list a child with a barcode and child titles cannot have barcodes so this is not a full box set item and you cant create it with the invalid child item that has a barcode.

The parent should have the barcode 814456022338 based on your description (if that is the code on the parent cover) and all the childs would be 12 zero, the all zero parent you have created is based on your description not a valid title as you have created it without a barcode when it has one. The existing entry with the zero code should be deleted as invalid.

If you created these is sounds like you are incorrectly contributing the childs as individual items rather than as the full box set.

If these other 'child' items have been created as standalones and are not old legacy entries they are really all invalid and should be deleted from the server and the correct full box set created and contributed. It would appear you created and contribtued the parent and all the childs as standalones using 12 zero codes on all except one child which would not be correct. If creating a full box set, the parent would have its barcode and all the childs would be 12 zero and the newly created child titles need to be contributed as the full box set, not individually as standalones.

The puppet master items are indeed all standalone entries, they are not contributed as a full box set so this is at least some part of the confusion, these standalone entries are NOT part of the box set. The full box set childs are (would be) completely separate entries associated only with the box set parent.

In fact if these items are the content of a box set and not sold separately then all those standalone entries should be deleted as they are not valid as standalone titles.
andycob
Posted: Monday, December 02, 2019 11:53:38 AM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (133789)
I have deleted the invalid puppet master box set child standalone entries someone incorrectly contributed as standalones.

You may retain them locally until such time as you remove them but they are not connected to or part of a box set on the web service hence the confusion and why they don't nest.

When we refer to the profiles of a box set child we mean the ones contributed as part of the full box set, if you find a standalone item then it is not a part of the full box set but a separate and possibly invalid entry on the server.

Note in some cases it can be valid for standalones to exists where box sets contain child items that are also sold separately with barcodes of their own but those entries are separate to the box set ones and should not be just assumed to be identical. Even where box set childs have a sold separately version with the exact same covers and barcode the disc ids are not always consistent and the items would be completely separate items in the database.
andycob
Posted: Monday, December 02, 2019 12:10:20 PM

I have deleted the Amityville entries as well so you can start again and get the correct item contributed.

Note you should be able to make copies of your existing items to use as new creations for the full box set so you don't lose the work already put it, just don't delete them right off as you won't be able to add them back from the web service.

You appear to have contributed each item separately and using the barcode on one child. All the childs would be 12 zero and the parent should use whatever the barcode of the parent is, note if this is on a slip or removable piece of the packaging it should still be used, creating it using 12 zeros because you have lost the code when it does have one would not be correct.

That or something went very wrong with the contribution, but now the existing entries are deleted you should be able to copy, adjust barcodes etc. reassemble and contribute the correct full box set.
jekyl
Posted: Tuesday, December 03, 2019 5:53:33 AM

Okay, thank you. I'll re-contribute them now. But for the Amityville set. The box set has no barcode. It came directly from the label without one. All the child titles have barcodes and they're all identical. Each of the 4 child titles has the barcode 814456022338. But again there's isn't one for the box, the box set is a limited edition, straight from Vinegar Syndrome. Currently the 4 child titles are available exclusively in this set, with the possibility they'll be released individually down the line.
So what should I do? You want me to upload it with 814456022338 as the UPC for the box, and all zeroes for the child titles, even though it's the opposite?

And as for the Black Label Society - 760137968986 I don't know what to say. It doesn't nest in my android app. Like I said, I've updated the title, I've deleted it and re-added it. And it does add the child titles to my collection as well, but unlike every other set, the child titles are not nesting...
andycob
Posted: Tuesday, December 03, 2019 11:48:37 AM

The child titles will always be 12 zero. As for the parent that's hard to be definitive without sight of the packaging but if the parent truly has no barcode at all on its covers making that 12 zero as well would be the most valid option.

As for the other set have maybe also added standalones for the childs as well as the box set? If you delete ALL the existing elements you have both the parent and any entries you may have added for the childs, I am guessing maybe you have the full box set AND some standalone entries you tried to use as childs in your collection.
jekyl
Posted: Friday, December 06, 2019 6:25:02 AM

Did that again, and after the third attempt it finally worked for some reason. Thank you for all the assistance.