Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Trouble Installing On Essentials Server Options · View
fatfatnick666
Posted: Tuesday, December 31, 2019 8:59:57 PM
Groups: Member

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (3195)
I'm trying to install on a Windows Server with Essentials and running into an issue with the SQL Express Server.

I'll post the log that it points me to.

Is there anything I can do to get this working? I've tried to do the clean. I will try to do the clean again and a reboot. Then install.

File Attachment(s):
Summary.txt (7kb) downloaded 11 time(s).

bhiga
Posted: Friday, January 03, 2020 7:17:07 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (2536)
I just did a fresh install of MM 5.25 for Home/ Essentials Server on Server 2012 R2 Essentials and ran into "There was a problem creating the required database firewall exceptions. Please contact support@mymovies.dk" but I got it working after:
1. Add Firewall exceptions (Allow a program or feature through Windows Firewall) for
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL11.MYMOVIES\MSSQL\Binn\sqlservr.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Shared\sqlbrowser.exe
2. Uninstall MM 5.25 for Home/Essentials Server from the Dashboard
3. Reboot
4. Run database clean tool (https://kb.mymovies.dk/KnowledgebaseArticle50036.aspx)
5. Reinstall MM 5.25 for Home/Essentials Server
6. WAIT for SQL Server to get installed
7. Log into My Movies
8. WAIT for the rest of the SQL Server components to get installed
9. Restore database backup and synchronize with online service
10. Install Windows Updates for SQL Server

My guess is the lack of firewall exceptions when I first installed somehow prevented the database from being properly configured.

It took a while for the synchronize to finish, and I got prompted twice more to Synchronize, but after the third run through it seemed to complete. It might have just been interrupted by other things going on.
fatfatnick666
Posted: Friday, January 03, 2020 10:16:56 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (3195)
I will look into this for sure but I don't even think SQL is installing at all so I'm not even to this database stage (which I have a complete backup of).
bhiga
Posted: Saturday, January 04, 2020 5:08:29 AM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (2536)
I should have noted that I did the above while logged into a console session in an administrator account on the server. When I opened the Dashboard it said it was installing SQL server. After a while the My Movies window appeared for me to log in, which I did. Then the dashboard said something about SQL server again. Eventually it completed and the My Movies dashboard pane showed the blank database at which point I proceeded with the database restore and synchronize.
fatfatnick666
Posted: Monday, February 03, 2020 6:51:54 AM

Binnerup needs to fix their installation package for the Essentials Server. I tried on two different servers and got the same problem. I did a clean (which wrecks your Essentials Server, you have to reinstall the Management Service after you run the clean tool) and then used an old 5.20 installation package I had archived. It worked, then I upgraded to 5.24. It worked. Then I used the 5.25 package to upgrade and it worked. So if you are using 2016 Essentials, hopefully you have an older installation package, then install the current one.
brother_hood
Posted: Monday, February 03, 2020 9:26:54 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (664)
Just for the record, I recently did two installations on fresh machines with Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials without any issues.
silberman-sf
Posted: Tuesday, February 11, 2020 11:25:05 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (2616)
fatfatnick666 wrote:
Binnerup needs to fix their installation package for the Essentials Server. I tried on two different servers and got the same problem. I did a clean (which wrecks your Essentials Server, you have to reinstall the Management Service after you run the clean tool) and then used an old 5.20 installation package I had archived. It worked, then I upgraded to 5.24. It worked. Then I used the 5.25 package to upgrade and it worked. So if you are using 2016 Essentials, hopefully you have an older installation package, then install the current one.

I had the same SQL problems with a clean install on 2016 Essentials but not the management issue you mentioned.

One thing I noticed was that the SQL server installed was 2008R2 rather than the 2014 as mentioned in the release notes.

I was having slow MM performance on my server and thought a clean install with the more current SQL might help but it seems that it won't work.

I don't have the earlier versions of MM server. Is there a place I can download the 5.20 and 5.24 MM server editions?

Thanks.
fatfatnick666
Posted: Thursday, February 27, 2020 2:15:43 AM

The management service issue I had is after I ran the Clean tool to uninstall MM.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1z7iAl7xhckRQlY3j6aybULbggZaD_k_o

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1CPZb-Rwjs7UcXTk7Yc1Ae2av_T55DLH_
binnerup
Posted: Thursday, February 27, 2020 1:04:11 PM

Groups: Administration , Windows RT/8 Discussion Group

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (135516)
I am sorry for lack of information in here.

The 5.25 version made a change to support a different version of SQL Server, but as Windows Server later than 2012 R2 is not an official supported version, it was not taken into consideration, and therefore fresh installs fails on these.

It has been resolved in local code, and will be resolved with next update, but for now the process is to install a prior version, then upgrade it once the SQL Server has been installed.

The 5.24 version can be downloaded from the official location here:

http://d3c3ws7andfulm.cloudfront.net/application/My%20Movies%20Home%20and%20Essentials%20Server%20Solution%205.24.zip

Having trouble installing or upgrading to My Movies 5? Click here for troubleshooting.

Having a problem? Searching our Knowledge Base is always the first step.

How can I produce a log file in My Movies for Windows?

How can I fully uninstall My Movies for Windows
silberman
Posted: Friday, February 28, 2020 11:38:16 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (4426)
[quote=binnerup]I am sorry for lack of information in here.

The 5.25 version made a change to support a different version of SQL Server, but as Windows Server later than 2012 R2 is not an official supported version, it was not taken into consideration, and therefore fresh installs fails on these.

It has been resolved in local code, and will be resolved with next update, but for now the process is to install a prior version, then upgrade it once the SQL Server has been installed.

Thanks. I'll look forward to the next update to try a clean reinstall with the newer SQL.