Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Fresh Installation Issues Options · View
khenzel
Posted: Friday, September 2, 2022 5:53:21 PM
Groups: Member

Joined: 11/23/2008
Posts: 44

Rank:
Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (2505)
binnerup wrote:
There is not directly a link between IE11 and the strip, but it is a historical thing - originally all add-ins were HTML based, and there is a great risk that the launcher still uses the browser part as an in-between thing with the launcher.

The point here is - when things have not been touched for more than five years, and, there suddenly is something not working, then look for outside changes - the outside changes here can be either a Windows update, or a thing such as the IE change.

Sure, you can start looking at registry entries, but they are not incorrect, because they are the same they have been for many, many years - potentially there can be a change in there that was applied but something from outside, but the installer would then correct it on a re-install.

I am sorry, but I cannot help you here.


I did some cross review this morning, both my PC's are running the same (latest) windows 11 install. Neither machine have IE11 (Edge replaced IE some time ago). My last machine still works perfectly booting My Movies and even collection manager with no menu strip or script errors. I did notice that my second machine has Java 8 update 341 x86 installed, though this machine does not have java installed at all. Perhaps the installer is missing a pre-requisite there, as the script error is pertaining to a javascript issue? Does the app not require a Java runtime installed to function?

I'm still poking around, just did another full uninstall and am re-installing now that i have java installed to see if there's any difference.

I saw the last pre-release update you posted was in July 2022... are you not making any updates to the product anymore?

Please let me know if there are any version compares i should do here. Obviously its not IE/OS related as i have the EXACT SAME windows install on both machines. What else can i compare? Something on this machine is different from my second machine as this one does not work, but like i mentioned, my last machine works perfectly without issue.

Please provide some recommendations? I'll be happy to do some version cross reviews between my machines.
khenzel
Posted: Friday, September 2, 2022 6:47:24 PM
Groups: Member

Joined: 11/23/2008
Posts: 44

Rank:
Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (2505)
So I installed Java 8, did a full uninstall of My Movies, the SQL Server v14 db, and Media Center. Rebooted, and reinstalled Media Center, then My Movies so i had a completely fresh installation.

I also did not restore my database as i wanted to see if the issue persisted on a fresh canvas. The menu strip error still happens inside media center.

Question 1: Should my movies open with a fully blank database, or do i need at least 1 title in there for it to open without a menu strip error?

Question 2: What other outside application references does My Movies software reference? As i confirmed windows versions, IE versions, Java versions, and my media center install are all fully 1:1 with my secondary pc, logically the only thing that would make sense now is that some other external software reference that I am unaware of is either not installed or out of sync with my working secondary machine.

Question 3: One other idea crossed my mind, my working PC has had the app installed over time. The main difference being that the machine had gone through updates over time (my movies included) which is not identical to a fresh installation of the most current software. Any idea if the fresh install is missing something dependency wise that an upgrade install of 5.40 would have covered? Should i try installing v4 of the software and upgrading to v5?

Question 3b: If i wanted to test this theory, do you have earlier V5 versions hosted prior to 5.40? I can't seem to find any previous other than v4, and i don't need to go back that far...

I will be happy to be the guinea pig for you and have a pretty good configuration to help you narrow down what the cause of the errors are considering I have 2 fully updated Windows 11 machines, one working, and one with the script error in collection manager and the menu strip 1 error in media center. I just need a little direction....

I have really run out of things to test as I don't have access to the source code and don't have any further options to test here as the program dependencies are obfuscated from me.

Final thought, How difficult would it be to add a pre release 5 of the software adding a couple simple logging points to the script error and menu strip errors? Your app is not logging these faults at all which is the most simple way to expose what is going on here... one simple try catch with exception log w/details of the exception inner message is all that should be needed to expose the culprit.

Hoping you can provide a little insight here.
pauven
Posted: Friday, September 2, 2022 9:08:15 PM

Groups: Member

Joined: 5/13/2009
Posts: 294
Location: Georgia, USA

Rank:
Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (3485)
Hi khenzel.

I hope you don't mind me replying, I'm trying to save you some time. I feel your frustration - it seems like everything should work but for some reason it just doesn't.

Unfortunately, WMC died over 5 years ago, and Binnerup has very publicly pulled support for it. Brian reiterated that stance in his last two replies to you - no WMC support, he can't help you.

Also unfortunately, all of your questions and requests pertain to WMC. You are flat out asking for support for WMC, and for logging changes to troubleshoot WMC. While I commend you for trying, I'm pretty sure Binnerup is not going to help. Users are free and welcome to keep using WMC with My Movies for as long as they can, but when it stops working Binnerup won't help.

While I can't help you with WMC, the one positive bit of advice I can share is that you should try CMC. If you look around on the forum, a few times Brian has even commented that CMC is the way to go for WMC users these days.

I created CMC to solve exactly the type of problems you are having. I'm a smart guy, smart enough to write CMC from scratch, yet I too struggled with keeping a WMC install alive. I figured if even I was having trouble with WMC, then it would be a nightmare for less technical users. Plus, it really does seem like Microsoft has gone out of their way to actively kill WMC, and it's very possible that with the recent IE retirement that the final nail has been set.

I'm happy to help with any CMC questions you have. CMC is now completely for you to use, plus you have over 2500 My Movies Points, which is all you need to use CMC. Link in my sig below.

Also, some food for thought: you've already wasted a month trying to get WMC working. You can have CMC working within a day.

-Paul

Chameleon MediaCenter (CMC) v5.0 - A FREE WMC replacement GUI for My Movies Collection Management on Win7/8.1/10/11, plus a Music Library and App Launcher!
khenzel
Posted: Saturday, September 3, 2022 7:02:01 PM
Groups: Member

Joined: 11/23/2008
Posts: 44

Rank:
Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (2505)
pauven wrote:
Hi khenzel.

I hope you don't mind me replying, I'm trying to save you some time. I feel your frustration - it seems like everything should work but for some reason it just doesn't.

Unfortunately, WMC died over 5 years ago, and Binnerup has very publicly pulled support for it. Brian reiterated that stance in his last two replies to you - no WMC support, he can't help you.

Also unfortunately, all of your questions and requests pertain to WMC. You are flat out asking for support for WMC, and for logging changes to troubleshoot WMC. While I commend you for trying, I'm pretty sure Binnerup is not going to help. Users are free and welcome to keep using WMC with My Movies for as long as they can, but when it stops working Binnerup won't help.

While I can't help you with WMC, the one positive bit of advice I can share is that you should try CMC. If you look around on the forum, a few times Brian has even commented that CMC is the way to go for WMC users these days.

I created CMC to solve exactly the type of problems you are having. I'm a smart guy, smart enough to write CMC from scratch, yet I too struggled with keeping a WMC install alive. I figured if even I was having trouble with WMC, then it would be a nightmare for less technical users. Plus, it really does seem like Microsoft has gone out of their way to actively kill WMC, and it's very possible that with the recent IE retirement that the final nail has been set.

I'm happy to help with any CMC questions you have. CMC is now completely for you to use, plus you have over 2500 My Movies Points, which is all you need to use CMC. Link in my sig below.

Also, some food for thought: you've already wasted a month trying to get WMC working. You can have CMC working within a day.

-Paul


Thanks, I do appreciate your reply and may yet try out CMC, however the main reason why i still hold on to My Movies is that I have spent countless hours arranging my collection exactly how i like it displayed - with genre tags, collection organization, etc. This is the thing I don't want to lose. If it was just for a media host platform, I would just fully move over to Plex.

I am wishing to do what i can to get this resolved with My Movies...
pauven
Posted: Saturday, September 3, 2022 7:23:29 PM

Groups: Member

Joined: 5/13/2009
Posts: 294
Location: Georgia, USA

Rank:
Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (3485)
khenzel wrote:

Thanks, I do appreciate your reply and may yet try out CMC, however the main reason why i still hold on to My Movies is that I have spent countless hours arranging my collection exactly how i like it displayed - with genre tags, collection organization, etc. This is the thing I don't want to lose. If it was just for a media host platform, I would just fully move over to Plex.


Perhaps you don't understand. CMC was designed to be used as a front-end for My Movies. You will still use My Movies to maintain your collection.

The CMC front-end closely replicates how the WMC + My Movies plugin worked. You still get full control over how your collection looks. Including Genres, custom Categories, Media Types, and even Movie Collections with is new in My Movies but never back-ported to WMC.

So to use CMC, you don't abandon your carefully curated My Movies collection. Just the opposite, you get the most out of it, even better than WMC.

-Paul

Chameleon MediaCenter (CMC) v5.0 - A FREE WMC replacement GUI for My Movies Collection Management on Win7/8.1/10/11, plus a Music Library and App Launcher!
jkwaterman
Posted: Saturday, September 3, 2022 11:07:48 PM
Groups: Member

Joined: 2/25/2010
Posts: 186

Rank:
Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (2726)
Hi khenzel,

I have been using the cmc app that Paul created for a number of years now and I am happy that I abandoned the wmc app for cmc. A year or 2 ago, Paul started to use the mymovies api that Brian developed for mymovies. It uses all the data that you entered into the mymovies database using the mymovies collection management app.

You don't have to port your data from xml files, or any other files, that you export from the mymovies collection management app. CMC use to do this but not anymore unless you really want to use the exported files. The last time I used Plex, I had to use the exported files and it was a mess until I cleaned the xml files up

You do have a little setup to do in order to tell cmc what programs you want to use such as powerdvd, tmt 6, or whatever other player you desire to use to watch your movies, or tv series...

CMC consists of two apps. One app takes the data from the mymovies db using the mymovies api and puts that data into the cmc db. You run this app manually or schedule it to run any time, or day, you desire in order to put your new titles into the cmc database. The other app, called cmc, is used to display your titles as you requested the mymovies collection management app to organize them. The cmc app also invokes whatever player you chose to view your videos, just as wmc ran them. The point is that you still need the mymovies collection management app to enter new titles but you replace wmc with cmc.

Give it a try. The only thing you can lose is a day of your time . Paul no longer charges people to use cmc.. I paid for it and I am happy I did buy a license at that time. To me it was worth it.

Jamie
khenzel
Posted: Sunday, September 4, 2022 10:45:13 PM
Groups: Member

Joined: 11/23/2008
Posts: 44

Rank:
Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (2505)
Oh Really?? In that case i'll definitely check it out! Thanks so much to you both for taking the time to inform me of this. <3

What about collection management? As its a front end for My Movies, and as collection manager has that script error now, does that mean even though i'll have a working front end, i'll not be able to manage and maintain the db anymore? Or does CMC have a fix for that too?

Thanks again!! Wink
jkwaterman
Posted: Monday, September 5, 2022 12:47:47 AM
Groups: Member

Joined: 2/25/2010
Posts: 186

Rank:
Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (2726)
khenzel wrote:
Oh Really?? In that case i'll definitely check it out! Thanks so much to you both for taking the time to inform me of this. <3

What about collection management? As its a front end for My Movies, and as collection manager has that script error now, does that mean even though i'll have a working front end, i'll not be able to manage and maintain the db anymore? Or does CMC have a fix for that too?

Thanks again!! Wink


CMC requires collection managent to enter your new titles into the mymovies db. If you are having issues with collection Management, Brians team should fix that because a good number of people use that for entering their titles. I would create another thread to report the error in collection management. I myself haven't seen the error. I am using 5.40.
jkwaterman
Posted: Monday, September 5, 2022 1:19:53 AM
Groups: Member

Joined: 2/25/2010
Posts: 186

Rank:
Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (2726)
I just looked at my mymovies installation and your first post in this thread. I noticed that you are running windows 11. I am running windows 10. I also went into windows control panel - program and features - turn windows features on or off. I noticed that I have ie turned on. Please check this out on your windows 11 pc and see if you have the opportunity to turn ie on. If not you may need to hunt down how to install windows ie on windows 11. I saw this mentioned in a similar thread and it was mentioned where you can get the ie 11 installer.

Jamie

edited

you you might want to check out this thread on this mymovies forum.

https://www.mymovies.dk/forum.aspx?g=posts&t=46932

I may be leading you down the wrong path, but this might be worth a try. This person was using windows 7
khenzel
Posted: Wednesday, September 7, 2022 10:44:08 PM
Groups: Member

Joined: 11/23/2008
Posts: 44

Rank:
Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (2505)
jkwaterman wrote:
I just looked at my mymovies installation and your first post in this thread. I noticed that you are running windows 11. I am running windows 10. I also went into windows control panel - program and features - turn windows features on or off. I noticed that I have ie turned on. Please check this out on your windows 11 pc and see if you have the opportunity to turn ie on. If not you may need to hunt down how to install windows ie on windows 11. I saw this mentioned in a similar thread and it was mentioned where you can get the ie 11 installer.

Jamie

edited

you you might want to check out this thread on this mymovies forum.

https://www.mymovies.dk/forum.aspx?g=posts&t=46932

I may be leading you down the wrong path, but this might be worth a try. This person was using windows 7


I did try this, didnt work unfortunately. But no matter, my main CMC host works with my movies, so its fine for me.


khenzel
Posted: Wednesday, September 7, 2022 10:46:20 PM
Groups: Member

Joined: 11/23/2008
Posts: 44

Rank:
Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (2505)
pauven wrote:
khenzel wrote:

Thanks, I do appreciate your reply and may yet try out CMC, however the main reason why i still hold on to My Movies is that I have spent countless hours arranging my collection exactly how i like it displayed - with genre tags, collection organization, etc. This is the thing I don't want to lose. If it was just for a media host platform, I would just fully move over to Plex.


Perhaps you don't understand. CMC was designed to be used as a front-end for My Movies. You will still use My Movies to maintain your collection.

The CMC front-end closely replicates how the WMC + My Movies plugin worked. You still get full control over how your collection looks. Including Genres, custom Categories, Media Types, and even Movie Collections with is new in My Movies but never back-ported to WMC.

So to use CMC, you don't abandon your carefully curated My Movies collection. Just the opposite, you get the most out of it, even better than WMC.

-Paul


Quick question for you... i tried posting these questions on the CMC forum but wouldn't allow me to submit my thread. (something may be wrong with the forum, or my pc? i dont know which).

At any rate:

1. CMC offers themes in the settings but i'm unable to locate any themes to download online. Are you able to point me to a repository of themes for the app?
2. Does CMC run on any other device other than a PC? Plans for support from an app, fire stick, or raspberry pi etc? I would love to have this on the go as a full replacement to plex!

Thanks again, I have this installed and running now and i LOVE it! :)
pauven
Posted: Wednesday, September 7, 2022 11:25:59 PM

Groups: Member

Joined: 5/13/2009
Posts: 294
Location: Georgia, USA

Rank:
Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (3485)
khenzel wrote:
Quick question for you... i tried posting these questions on the CMC forum but wouldn't allow me to submit my thread. (something may be wrong with the forum, or my pc? i dont know which).

Since you are a new CMC forum member, your posts go into a moderation queue for me to approve. Spam has been an ongoing issue, so this step helps keep the really nasty stuff out. I've already approved your post and replied to your question there. I'll do a shorter answer here.


khenzel wrote:
1. CMC offers themes in the settings but i'm unable to locate any themes to download online. Are you able to point me to a repository of themes for the app?

I don't believe anyone has created any themes yet. Perhaps you can be the first. I gave some guidance in my reply on the CMC forum. I do have plans to make skinning even more powerful, but since no one has even tried so far with what I've already developed, it's been a low priority.


khenzel wrote:
2. Does CMC run on any other device other than a PC? Plans for support from an app, fire stick, or raspberry pi etc? I would love to have this on the go as a full replacement to plex!

No, currently only PC is supported.

My programming tools do permit for compiling on some other platforms, notably Mac OS, iOS, and Android. But the problem there is that support for playing full resolution ISO rips and folder rips seems questionable on these particular platforms, so it probably wouldn't work as well as with a PC.

I love the idea of running it on a Pi, but I don't think that's possible with my current programming tools, so that would mean starting over from scratch and learning a new programming language - a daunting prospect. I'm pretty sure that you would only be able to watch re-encoded media like MkV's, which also provides a barrier for users like myself where 99.9% of everything I have is ISO/folder rips.

I also love the idea of having an app for Roku's, Fire Stick's, and similar players. I honestly have no idea how to even begin there, and the issues above apply here too - I don't have the right tools to even develop for these platforms.


khenzel wrote:
I have this installed and running now and i LOVE it! :)


Cool Welcome to the club.


Chameleon MediaCenter (CMC) v5.0 - A FREE WMC replacement GUI for My Movies Collection Management on Win7/8.1/10/11, plus a Music Library and App Launcher!
khenzel
Posted: Thursday, September 8, 2022 12:10:41 AM
Groups: Member

Joined: 11/23/2008
Posts: 44

Rank:
Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (2505)
pauven wrote:

Cool Welcome to the club.


Thanks! :)

Two last quick questions...

First, In My movies it has the ability to hide movies from a list based off a custom category you create. Entering the parental pin would unlock the titles to show in main view. I liked to create a category "Blocked" that would hide restricted movies from showing... great to have when the family is over and i'm scrolling the collection in front of them. Is there support in CMC for this?

Second, when i add movies in My Movies, do i need to log in to the CCC app on the host PC and click to run a full export to update the new titles i added? Or is there a way i can just scan for changes?

Thanks!
pauven
Posted: Thursday, September 8, 2022 12:51:28 AM

Groups: Member

Joined: 5/13/2009
Posts: 294
Location: Georgia, USA

Rank:
Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (3485)
That's a great idea. I didn't know the WMC solution could do this. I'll add this in a future version.

For now, there is a workaround, though it does require changing the title's data. You can click the Adult checkbox on any title you want to hide, and then in CCC's parental restrictions don't provide access to adult titles except for yourself. You can also give yourself a PIN. The end result is nearly the same as you describe, but with the downside that you have to set the Adult flag which isn't always desirable.


EDIT: Replied to fast, missed your 2nd question.

CCC is designed to export changes only extremely fast. Instead of clicking "Run Full Export Now", you should click "Start Auto-Export Jobs". The interval between runs is configurable, and some users like to set the interval to 0 minutes, which basically turns it into a 1x only run. So you can run it manually, changes only, as-needed if that's what you prefer.

Myself, I let it run automatically every 5 minutes, so my CMC PC's are always up to date with my new additions. I also have it scheduled to start up when "Windows Boots", so it's always running every time I restart my My Movies/CCC virtual machine.

Bonus tip for you. If you type a title's name in the top-right search box, then this changes the behavior of the "Run Full Export Now". Normally, running a full export would start from scratch and rebuild CCC's DB, which can take hours. But if you put a title name in the "If Name contains:" box, then it will do a full export of any titles matching that name, and it will append that data to the current CCC DB. That way, if there is a hiccup where a change is not detected (My Movies doesn't always correctly flag a title is changed in some scenarios), then just type the name and hit full export, and voila you have that title's data exported to CCC & CMC.




Chameleon MediaCenter (CMC) v5.0 - A FREE WMC replacement GUI for My Movies Collection Management on Win7/8.1/10/11, plus a Music Library and App Launcher!
khenzel
Posted: Thursday, September 8, 2022 5:32:35 PM
Groups: Member

Joined: 11/23/2008
Posts: 44

Rank:
Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (2505)
pauven wrote:
That's a great idea. I didn't know the WMC solution could do this. I'll add this in a future version.

For now, there is a workaround, though it does require changing the title's data. You can click the Adult checkbox on any title you want to hide, and then in CCC's parental restrictions don't provide access to adult titles except for yourself. You can also give yourself a PIN. The end result is nearly the same as you describe, but with the downside that you have to set the Adult flag which isn't always desirable.


EDIT: Replied to fast, missed your 2nd question.

CCC is designed to export changes only extremely fast. Instead of clicking "Run Full Export Now", you should click "Start Auto-Export Jobs". The interval between runs is configurable, and some users like to set the interval to 0 minutes, which basically turns it into a 1x only run. So you can run it manually, changes only, as-needed if that's what you prefer.

Myself, I let it run automatically every 5 minutes, so my CMC PC's are always up to date with my new additions. I also have it scheduled to start up when "Windows Boots", so it's always running every time I restart my My Movies/CCC virtual machine.

Bonus tip for you. If you type a title's name in the top-right search box, then this changes the behavior of the "Run Full Export Now". Normally, running a full export would start from scratch and rebuild CCC's DB, which can take hours. But if you put a title name in the "If Name contains:" box, then it will do a full export of any titles matching that name, and it will append that data to the current CCC DB. That way, if there is a hiccup where a change is not detected (My Movies doesn't always correctly flag a title is changed in some scenarios), then just type the name and hit full export, and voila you have that title's data exported to CCC & CMC.




cool sounds like that is a good work around to solve the same outcome. One suggestion though while you consider the addition of the blocked on category item... maybe also exclude the screen saver slide show for movie posters to not show those blocked items as well? :)

I love the slide show feature, but would be nice to not have some movies like Hostel etc to show up in a slide show with the kiddos around.
pauven
Posted: Thursday, September 8, 2022 6:34:54 PM

Groups: Member

Joined: 5/13/2009
Posts: 294
Location: Georgia, USA

Rank:
Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (3485)
khenzel wrote:
cool sounds like that is a good work around to solve the same outcome. One suggestion though while you consider the addition of the blocked on category item... maybe also exclude the screen saver slide show for movie posters to not show those blocked items as well? :)

Yep, that's a good call-out, thanks.

khenzel wrote:
I love the slide show feature, but would be nice to not have some movies like Hostel etc to show up in a slide show with the kiddos around.

There is a "Movie Screensaver Max Parental Rating" option you can set. While it doesn't have the toggle for "Adult" on that, "Adult" is enabled for ratings R and above, and disabled for PG-13 and below. [EDIT: Just checked and I must have imagined I programmed that. The "Adult" flag is not considered in the screensaver max parental rating. I'll have to fix that.

The Screensaver Max Parental Rating s a separate setting so that you can set it lower than your normal profile, so when the screensaver kicks in you don't have to worry about the kiddies seeing something mature. It combines with the user's regular Max Parental Rating, so whichever is lower takes precedence for which movie slides are shown.


If I could ask you a favor: You came here looking for a solution to get WMC working, and now you have made an unexpected transition to CMC. Could you share your thoughts with me and the community about how the transition from WMC to CMC went, what works well, what's better and even what's worse and needs improvement. Does CMC meet your needs as a WMC replacement? I'd appreciate any time you can spare to share your thoughts.


Chameleon MediaCenter (CMC) v5.0 - A FREE WMC replacement GUI for My Movies Collection Management on Win7/8.1/10/11, plus a Music Library and App Launcher!
khenzel
Posted: Friday, September 9, 2022 3:15:37 AM
Groups: Member

Joined: 11/23/2008
Posts: 44

Rank:
Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (2505)
pauven wrote:
khenzel wrote:
cool sounds like that is a good work around to solve the same outcome. One suggestion though while you consider the addition of the blocked on category item... maybe also exclude the screen saver slide show for movie posters to not show those blocked items as well? :)

Yep, that's a good call-out, thanks.

khenzel wrote:
I love the slide show feature, but would be nice to not have some movies like Hostel etc to show up in a slide show with the kiddos around.

There is a "Movie Screensaver Max Parental Rating" option you can set. While it doesn't have the toggle for "Adult" on that, "Adult" is enabled for ratings R and above, and disabled for PG-13 and below. [EDIT: Just checked and I must have imagined I programmed that. The "Adult" flag is not considered in the screensaver max parental rating. I'll have to fix that.

The Screensaver Max Parental Rating s a separate setting so that you can set it lower than your normal profile, so when the screensaver kicks in you don't have to worry about the kiddies seeing something mature. It combines with the user's regular Max Parental Rating, so whichever is lower takes precedence for which movie slides are shown.


If I could ask you a favor: You came here looking for a solution to get WMC working, and now you have made an unexpected transition to CMC. Could you share your thoughts with me and the community about how the transition from WMC to CMC went, what works well, what's better and even what's worse and needs improvement. Does CMC meet your needs as a WMC replacement? I'd appreciate any time you can spare to share your thoughts.


Absolutely! It's the least I can do considering how awesome you have been giving me all this info. As somebody heading a community project like you (and coming from a lead developer role myself so I can relate), it's unusual to see somebody reply to the level you have, so that is very appreciated! :)

For starters, I think really selling how CMC consumes WMC. I'm a details oriented guy, but even so with the flood of info out there, as I was focused on repairing my WMC solution, I had less than an elevator pitch in me for considering transition, primarily because I was here looking for that quick fix to get me back into it - to consume as little time as humanly possible to get this bit of tech back in action. If i spent 5 more minutes looking more detailed at the product you were trying to introduce to me I'd have figured it out, but i took one quick glance and went back to debugging my solution.

As we all know WMC has been on death row for nearly a decade now, and My Movies living on borrowed time, if i saw an add out there telling me CMC consumed My Movies collection manager, I would have abandoned my movies in a flash, as transplanting the solution in a portable stand alone solution suddenly breathed another 10+ years of life into this collection management option. Though, to realize this i would have had to do a little digging and may have never realized it if you didn't go "dude, it USES collection manager!" :)

I love your tutorial forum with the TLDR section. For tekkies like me, all i had to do was skim the bold text and got things running in under 30 mins. Though, i'd say for the common user seeing the software alone on first boot could be daunting. I, a 15 year dev, opened it at first, saw the opening screen, and was like "what am I looking at here?" :) Maybe an addition of a quick start wizard to plug in the initial settings? More direction on "This is server, this is client" like Binnerup does w/their installer, and for sake of simplicity, gutting the options and just pushing CCC which is all anyone likely needs. The legacy stuff can still exist, but remove it from the tut, make it as a footnote or something less prevalent. I skimmed the 3 options quickly, didnt read in to it too much, saw you suggested option 3 and just went with that. If i spent 3 more mins reading the other 2 points i would understand, but basically the question is "should i care?" - better to add that stuff as a troubleshooting area as options when people tried CCC, didnt work, and they landed there.

In short, I would suggest a wizard installer that places CMC and CCC auto on the server with a few questions that config the base settings in minutes, and a client folder already set up for "copy paste" to other pc's in the house to integrate to. How simple and badass would that be? :)

My next point, see my first post in this thread. I still don't know why this specific windows 11 pc gave me the script error in My Movies Collection Manager, and why 2 other pc's in the house running the same system software and the exact same setup both work. I would be very concerned if this issue pops up more... and validate if its happening on installs on fresh built systems as of 9/1/2022. I'm not the only one, so i'd think this is more prevalent than just a quirky install i hit. As CMC is built on top of collection manager, this could be a software killer just as Media Center's days were numbered unless Binnerup agrees to debug and fix this solution to keep it going. From my discussion with the admin though, sounds like they literally washed their hands of the software and have abandoned it though... so yeah, brings a concern.

As to overall experience, the only things i really miss from Media Center are the menu transition animations which add to the menu anesthetics but does not impact the solution's base functionality. But, keeping in mind that this software's chief delivery is for not just collection management but visualization, might be pretty sweet if that could be added in a later revision. I also liked the startup animation in media center - which even allowed for different start up animation hacks using themer. I had mine set up to play a Xbox style bootup sequence which i loved every time i hit the button. Perhaps this is something that could be added too? :)

One other thing is more of a VLC limitation... but can be addressed by how CMC integrates with VLC for playback.... and that's for continuous play for all videos in one folder (I.E. TV series episodes). You can get around this by adding a hook into CMC to play season as opposed to an individual episode. If you hit VLC's command line with "Open Folder path:", It appends all videos in the folder to the playlist. I looked through VLC settings to see if it supported continuous play on VLC's end of things, but it does not. The only solution would be for the container app to deliver the instruction to VLC. Because of this, unfortunately, I am still sticking with Plex to play tv episodes as nothing is more annoying than reaching for the remote in bed to start the next episode while your trying to sleep.

One quick comment here... for client side. This was not obvious to me (and funny thing is my client PC has the same movie drive mounted with the same drive letter as my server PC, so i did not notice this at first)... once you integrate the client to the server and click to sync, it syncs all data, but the PATHS remain static to the server. I found when i re-named some episodes on the server side only and attempted to play that i got errors... looked at the movie landing page and realized the path listed was a local static path. I worked around it in 2 minutes by executing a SQL replace in my movies DB:

Quote:
UPDATE [My Movies].[dbo].tblDiscs
SET nvcLocation = REPLACE (nvcLocation,'M:\','\\MCPCMark3\M\')


Though ofc this is advanced user status. Might be nice when the software is configured to hit a server via network share setting, that a notice is posted to the user informing them of this shortcomming, requesting a network share path. I get that CMC should not drive that config as multi-network host locations would be a literal nightmare for CMC to gatekeep, but at minimum informing the user that a static local path assignment inside collection manager just won't work might be a very good thing to present here.

My last item is the mouse scroll wheel. This may sound silly, but because of this i won't use the mouse to navigate the menu as to me its that bad. I had no issue navigating the media center my movies shell as the mouse scroll wheel would scroll through the collection. As you really just have to click around to move the list, or use arrow keys, makes use of a mouse as stand alone a no-go for me. But whatever... i just had to dust off my old media center remote and move back to that, so i worked around it.

Apart from those gripes, I love the ease of updating the background image theme, the ability to customize how many titled show on screen, the screen saver with movie titles (adding a media center stock slideshow with family images would also be a nice touch if one would prefer that over movie art, but a pure bonus), and the check box view for categories that i tagged.

I LOVE the VLC and Power DVD integration. I don't know if you are familiar, but running media center on a 4k/8k tv has an unsupported resolution. Playing through the default player in media center would always have this messed up line on the right side of the screen that would only go away if you minimize/maximize the screen the garbled line goes away, but the entire video becomes grainy and un-watchable on a HD TV. So once i upgraded to my HD TV, i started using my movies just for a video navigator. I would find a movie i wanted to watch, closed out media center, and opened it via file system. Horrible.

With your system, it actually makes it functional again as both a movie picker and a player. Took a few settings to get it to work exactly as media center did (would be nice to have a tutorial to outline this - auto close when the video stops, auto resume where you left off, and auto maximize when the movie plays) but took me 2 secs to google and get going.

I NEVER got iso playback to work well with media center. I installed a hack that got it to work for a bit, then it stopped working and didnt bother trying again. Yours works great! I did have to disable the VMC or w/e iso image mount setting for power dvd to work, but once i did, it works incredibly! Another huge improvement for me as I always wanted that to work well, but it never did due to the limitations of media center.

Beyond that, I'm probably a bit niche in how anal i am at sorting my collection just as i like it, and have spent tons of hours in collection manager adding everything manually by hand, assigning categories, and combining movies into collections. For me i wouldn't consider another option like plex as auto import just doesn't work the way i want it. That is why I am so stoked for CMC... so much so i just bought one of these for my bedroom:
https://store.minisforum.com/products/minisforum-nucxi5-nucxi7?variant=43044971774197

So i can use it in all rooms of my house :)

Hats off to you for building this software. I'm digging it!

anyway, sorry for the lengthy post, but you asked for my thoughts, and there they are! I hope they are useful :)


EDIT: one final thing, i tried the remote mapping setting to map opening of CMC with the colored buttons - notification of admin to push registry after i changed the setting, which i did and got the success message, but no level of setting alteration allowed my remote to launch CMC... yet. I still have some fiddling to, but so far it's not working for me. I saw the advanced software and haven't touched that yet. May go there if the setting UI just won't work for me... Just a FYI :)
binnerup
Posted: Friday, September 9, 2022 2:56:07 PM

Groups: Administration , Windows RT/8 Discussion Group

Joined: 2/1/2005
Posts: 49,297
Location: Aarhus, Denmark

Rank:
Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (157620)
binnerup
Posted: Friday, September 9, 2022 3:18:48 PM

Groups: Administration , Windows RT/8 Discussion Group

Joined: 2/1/2005
Posts: 49,297
Location: Aarhus, Denmark

Rank:
Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (157620)
khenzel
Posted: Friday, September 9, 2022 6:30:07 PM
Groups: Member

Joined: 11/23/2008
Posts: 44

Rank:
Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (2505)


Thanks for that! Happy to try the fix.

I dont have MSVS installed on this machine. Do you have a complied version of the update i can try? (Installer vs WSSX).

Thanks again! :)
Users browsing this topic
guest


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Main Forum RSS : RSS

Powered by Yet Another Forum.net version 1.9.0 (NET v4.0) - 10/10/2006
Copyright © 2003-2006 Yet Another Forum.net. All rights reserved.