Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Case Types Help Page Options · View
jorisgoubron
Posted: Monday, October 6, 2014 5:28:34 PM
Groups: Member

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (11990)
Hi.

I saw you introduced an option to contribute case type on disc titles. I'm french, so I use the collection management in french and I'm a bit confused by all those case types.
Would it be possible to create a help page with pictures that illustrate each case type ? (what is the difference between the first case -Boîtier in french- and a keep case ? for example)

Thanks
lostinva
Posted: Monday, October 6, 2014 8:52:51 PM

Groups: Administration , Member, Moderator

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (431938)
We are working on it.

A "box" could be described most often as a large cardboard case that fully encloses. A keep case is referring to standard plastic cases.

"Box" should not be confused with "slip case". Slip case is partially opened, and holds 2 or more individual cases.

As a quick and dirty reference, these two pictures show most of the types, with some duplicates to show variation:

From the top:

1. Envelope
2. THINpak -- often holds individual discs of a box set
3. Keep Case (HD Slim, Low) -- standard size in USA
4. Keep Case (HD, Low) -- thicker, use for everything else
5. Keep Case (HD, Low)
6. Metal Case -- use for all metal cases not specifically branded as SteelBook
7. SteelBook
8. Keep Case (HD Slim, Low) + Slip Cover
9. Slip Case -- partially open box with 2 or more individual cases. In this situation: box set parent: Slip Case; box set children: Keep Case (HD Slim, Low)
10. DigiPack + Slip Cover -- typically 3 or more sections that unfold
11. DigiBook -- like a hardbound book
12. DigiPack
13. THINpak
14. Snapper -- cover is cardboard with plastic closing mechanism
15. Keep Case (Std.) -- full-height DVD sized cases
16. Box

File Attachment(s):
cases-b.jpg (357kb) downloaded 597 time(s).
cases-a.jpg (336kb) downloaded 498 time(s).

surplusgadgets
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2014 10:19:11 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (15299)
Found this on the web as a quick fill-in while waiting for the MyMovies documentation: http://www.andreas-lenz.de/dvd/casetypes/
At least provides a little more visual guide to some of the explanation Lostinva gives above.

Suspect Keep Case (Std) covers 80+% of movies in USA and Snapper will cover nearly 10% more. Not sure what a thicker (27mm+) or thinner (7mm) Keep Case DVD would be yet; they have different size paper inserts. Thinner is commonly called Slimline. Standard case is 14mm. Maybe not differentiating those? What he shows as THINPak in his photo are Slimline (if DVD) but not what the industry calls THINPak, I believe. But no expert. And just so you are not confused, the "Slip Cover" is normally referring to the extra, clear-plastic sheath you can buy to put your case into. Like what Comic books come in to protect them. Threw me for a loop at first as I thought maybe they were indicating the a paper insert that slips into the case (a common misconception). But by Lostinva's photo, they are referring to a cardboard slip cover (normally called a sheath) that is around the case as well. Will wait for the clarification.

FYI, Lostinva's post has some some missing entries because he is describing his attached photo; at least missing compared to the initial release of software with the Cover Type attribute. Missing is Clamshell, Drawer, Jewel , and Other.

And, of course, not to be confused. because the title of this thread is "Case Types Help Page", and the release notes mentions a "Case Type" option added, but the actual visual in the Collection Manager is called "Cover Type".
lostinva
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2014 11:46:23 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (431938)
There is no special designation for thicker DVD keep cases. It's only "Keep Case (Std.)" for regular (or jumbo) DVD cases or "ThinPak" for thin ones, often found in box sets.

Slip cover -- also called an O-sleeve, open on two sides (usually top & bottom).
Slip case -- open on one side (usually right or left)

Note, for our purposes:

1. If the outer package is a "slip case" but has only 1 inner case, the case type selected should be whatever the inner case type is, with the "Slip Cover" option checked.
2. Use "Slip Case" as case type if it has 2 or more inner cases.

Clamshell -- I don't personally have any DVD variations of these, but they would be similar in style to the bulky VHS cases Disney used back in the day. Probably, more commonly used for rentals than with retail packaging.
Drawer -- Another fairly rare packaging type. Wall-e DVD version in the US is an example of it.

http://www.collectorsquest.com/blog/2008/11/15/wall-e-on-dvd/

The outer packaging is like a slip cover, except the inner part which holds the disc only slides partially out and remains physically attached.

Jewel -- documented on the page surplusgadgets linked to. Similar to CD cases, though typically same height as DVD keep cases.

Other -- basically runs the gamut of anything that does not clearly fit elsewhere. Could be just an uncommon type, or something custom or elaborate made specially for that title. An example would be the limited edition The Walking Dead Blu-ray releases in the US, which are Digipaks that fit inside a compartment of a display prop.
radioact
Posted: Tuesday, October 14, 2014 11:42:27 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (3035)
What is the intent of the Cover Type field and the Slip Cover check box? Is the primary use to tie to the Front/Back Cover pictures as part of the cover art of the disc record, or for the actual type of packaging that was purchased.

I guess an example I have is a new Blu-Ray (US version) that I got today with a slip case. The slip case is identical to the back cover, except the barcode is a cutout showing the back cover's barcode. Should the Slip Cover checkbox be checked in this example?
andycob
Posted: Wednesday, October 15, 2014 1:21:47 AM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (139031)
As I understand the intent you would set the cover type based on the type of the case, however if the title has a slip cover and you contribute the slip cover for the covers then tick the box, if you contribute the case cover, do not tick the box. We will typically unless moderators decide there is a very good reason to change it keep whichever cover version (case or slip) that is contributed correctly and in high quality first.
jorisgoubron
Posted: Tuesday, November 4, 2014 9:28:03 AM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (11990)
Hello

I'm back Laughing
Thank you for all those information.
Here's another webpage that could help : http://www.invelos.com/Forums.aspx?task=viewtopic&topicID=373552

I still have many questions (don't worry, i'll ask them one after the other Tongue out ) :

I have this boxset :

It's registered in the webservice with the keep case cover wich is a little different from the slip case cover :

Keep case back cover :

Slip case back cover :

My question is : Should I recontribute this box set with the slip case cover for the boxset container and the keep case cover for the children titles ?

Thank you for the answer
nearcry91
Posted: Saturday, February 21, 2015 7:22:51 AM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (8383)
Found a video that shows the "drawer" type cover. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqcdQDfsgtI
kmorg
Posted: Sunday, March 1, 2015 8:40:09 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (129)
It looks like most People use the HD Low cover as a standard for blu-rays, but isn't the standard supposed to be HD Slim Low? How about just having one that says HD std.?
lostinva
Posted: Sunday, March 1, 2015 10:49:47 PM

kmorg wrote:
It looks like most People use the HD Low cover as a standard for blu-rays, but isn't the standard supposed to be HD Slim Low? How about just having one that says HD std.?

"Slim" isn't necessarily the standard variety. It really depends on the region and distributor, and if people are understanding the difference between them.

This is not a perfect image, but I hope it helps distinguish between them. In the example above, the "Killing Season" (top) is type "Keep Case (HD Slim, Low)". "Dial M for Murder" and "Lost: The Complete Fourth Season" are both "Keep Case (HD, Low)". Notice that "Keep Case (HD Slim, Low)" is considerably thinner, edges/corners are not as square.

A guide is being worked on and when it's closer to completion I'll post the link here and in the how-to area.
steenbage
Posted: Saturday, October 17, 2015 11:53:30 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (16859)
Hello,

I have recently purchased a number of titles in the US that I believe is: Keep Case (HD Slim, Low), but with some differences with the Killing Season example above.
They have more squared edges/corners and has a 9 cm latch that needs to be opened before being able to open the cover.
The case is named eco-LITE Vortex. Can you please confirm that case should also be identified as: Keep Case (HD Slim, Low)
lostinva
Posted: Sunday, October 18, 2015 12:15:24 AM

That's an "HD slim, low" based on the measurements I saw (11mm). With TV shows/box sets being the most frequent exceptions, most US releases are going to be "HD Slim, low". If you compare it against a DVD keep case, "HD Slim, low" should be recognizably thinner. So, the other kind, "HD, low" should appear to be at least the same thickness of a standard DVD keep case.

Where US releases are concerned, you would mostly only see "HD, Low" if there are 1 or more center trays for more disc capacity. In contrast, every single UK import I have is "HD, Low" even though they are only 1 or 2 discs. (Though a half dozen imports is not a scientific sample by any means.)
mountainman1957
Posted: Thursday, December 22, 2016 7:59:51 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (965)
Might be useful, based on images from lostinva...

File Attachment(s):
Cases from MyMovies forum post 39057.jpg (418kb) downloaded 68 time(s).

the maxx
Posted: Monday, August 14, 2017 8:37:08 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (3988)
The images posted above are indeed helpful.
The images and descriptions from lostinva are very helpful.
And the graphic with the side by side images with labels by mountainman1957 is also very useful.
Could the My Movies Wiki page for Case Types ("Cover Types") from 2015 be updated to include photos and descriptions for the rest of the cover types?
the maxx
Posted: Wednesday, August 30, 2017 9:52:37 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (3988)
Re-posting the above attached images as smaller versions (under 250kb) so that they can be viewed inline in the forum instead of having to be downloaded as attachments:

The original full size images are also re-posted here as attachments below:

Third image has descriptions in the image:

Original descriptions for first two images = From the top:

1. Envelope
2. THINpak -- often holds individual discs of a box set
3. Keep Case (HD Slim, Low) -- standard size in USA
4. Keep Case (HD, Low) -- thicker, use for everything else
5. Keep Case (HD, Low)
6. Metal Case -- use for all metal cases not specifically branded as SteelBook
7. SteelBook
8. Keep Case (HD Slim, Low) + Slip Cover
9. Slip Case -- partially open box with 2 or more individual cases. In this situation: box set parent: Slip Case; box set children: Keep Case (HD Slim, Low)
10. DigiPack + Slip Cover -- typically 3 or more sections that unfold
11. DigiBook -- like a hardbound book
12. DigiPack
13. THINpak
14. Snapper -- cover is cardboard with plastic closing mechanism
15. Keep Case (Std.) -- full-height DVD sized cases
16. Box

File Attachment(s):
cases-b.jpg (357kb) downloaded 9 time(s).
cases-a.jpg (336kb) downloaded 10 time(s).
Cases from MyMovies forum post 39057.jpg (418kb) downloaded 37 time(s).

the maxx attached the following image(s):
cases-b 15 percent compression factor.jpg
cases-a 15 percent compression factor.jpg
Cases from MyMovies forum post 39057 50 perc.jpg

bobo80
Posted: Saturday, November 7, 2020 1:34:58 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (25286)
Hello, I'm going back to this topic.

what is the type of box set children?
https://i.goopics.net/qdQVY.jpeg

Is this a digipack + slip cover?
https://i.goopics.net/gkvby.jpeg

Thanks
andycob
Posted: Saturday, November 7, 2020 2:12:06 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (139031)
The type of a box set child is the relevant case type for the child item. Depending on the packaging that might be the same type as the parent or different. E.g. a set of keep cases in a slip case would be slip case for the parent with the slip case covers, and with the correct keep case covers keep case for the childs.

That Star Wars set you picture would be Slip case for the parent and then the most correct available option would be digipack for the childs, though technically that is actually a sub class of digipack that was made under the name digi-stack that we don't have a specific type listing for.

The case types thing will always be a bit of an issue because you have multiple makers/brands/versions of what is often something very similar or even identical. Take the typical DVD or Blu-ray cases, these were often referred to generically as Amaray cases but Amaray is actually only one manufacturers brand, its a bit like how in many countries vacuum cleaners are generically referred to as hoovers but of course 'Hoover' is actually just a single brand/manufacturer and if we were to list every maker and variant, quite apart from the fact the much of the time users would have no idea which specific maker produced the keep case they have the list would expand to 100s or 1000s of options.

The Lord of the Rings one is again a slip case parent then again a variant of digi-pack for the childs.

The main issue with these types of box sets is as there is no actual sub covers for the child items those case types may be difficult to verify.
akalliaridis
Posted: Thursday, May 12, 2022 9:51:25 AM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (13760)
Is there a clear ruling on how the Blu-Ray keep cases without the blue top section should be submitted? The non-branded cases where the insert fills the whole case, as they did with Std. keep cases. For example, the cases that Criterion use for their keep case releases, and that Powerhouse Indicator use for their limited editions.

They are Low HD cases in physical size, but since front cover proportions are different, the Keep Case (HD, Low) selection triggers the Front Cover Area warnings for the scans.

Looking over my recent collection additions, there seem to be no set standard that contributors are following. Among the ten most recent examples of these cases, five of them are set as Keep Case (HD Low) and five are set as Keep Case (Std). As they are a hybrid of the two, I can see the arguments for both, and would appreciate a clarification before I contribute another one.

File Attachment(s):
IMG_20220517_160034.jpg (1,644kb) downloaded 5 time(s).
IMG_20220517_160141.jpg (2,228kb) downloaded 3 time(s).

binnerup
Posted: Tuesday, May 17, 2022 8:48:49 AM

Groups: Administration , Windows RT/8 Discussion Group

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (156243)
akalliaridis
Posted: Tuesday, May 17, 2022 4:14:46 PM

Rank based on contribution points and purchased points. Click to see details. (13760)
I've attached a couple of images to my previous message, with two examples of the cases I'm referring to (Twentieth Century and The Philadelphia Story), photographed together with examples of the regular keep cases for context.